nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Author Interview: Lili St. Crow

Strange Angels is Lili St. Crow’s debut novel in the YA genre. Strange Angels was released May 14, 2009. She is also author of the paranormal romance and urban fantasy novels Dante Valentine and Jill Kismet Series. I appreciate Lili St. Crow taking time out to answer questions pertaining to her books.

Strange Angels is your first YA novel, what inspired you to write for young adults?
Honestly...I was asked to do it. I'd never even thought about going into YA, I just assumed that my subject matter and habit of profanity would preclude any such move. But YA is so different from when I was a teen; there's really been a revolution in realism (rather than just odd outcroppings of banned realism) in the genre. Or at least, adults and publishers have finally cottoned onto the fact that kids do things you wish they wouldn't sometimes, and it's okay to have books about those things and their consequences. Kids don't like to be lied to or put off or talked down to. They want answers just like anyone else, and they want good fiction just like anyone else. You can make those answers and that fiction age-appropriate, certainly--but "age-appropriate" doesn't have to mean "simplistic" or "censored."

You’re listed as Lilith Saintcrow under your adult books and under your YA novel Strange Angels you’re listed as Lili St. Crow, was there reasoning behind this?
That was just to cut down on confusion. I'm pretty prolific, and we wanted to make it clear that Strange Angels was mine, but also make it clear that it was a young adult book.

You have written several adult series, how do you keep your plots and characters fresh?
I do write with certain themes--redemption, vengeance, betrayal, found families, trauma--but there are so many possible permutations keeping it fresh is the least of my worries. There are millions of ways a writer can ask what if? and come up with a different idea/answer each time. Of course there's a certain "sound" to my books, because they're all filtered through me. But I don't worry so much. The freshness happens on its own as long as I'm curious and inquisitive about different things.

What’s been the hardest for you writing more than one series?
Writing more than one series is actually my natural state. Most of my professional life has been spent writing series, and the novel form is the most comfortable for me. I tend to find shorts and one-off books more difficult because of the tightness of focus. The only thing about series is that they require a lot of endurance. You can get utterly sick of the characters, since you spend so long with them. Pacing yourself is key.
Your post about Book Reviews was great; please share with the readers how you deal with criticism of your books?
I listen, and I move on. Writing is very, very personal; of course it hurts when someone says something negative about the book you worked so hard over. But that's life--no book is perfect, there is no book that everyone is going to like. Take what you can from the criticism and move on.Of course, a good bitch session with your best friend over wine and Thai food doesn't hurt either.

How many books can we expect in your YA series?
Right now there are three books in the Strange Angels series, with the possibility of two more.

Which book was your favorite in the Dante Valentine Series and why?
Oh, wow. I'm not sure I can answer that, because I love them all in such different ways. Working For The Devil was unmitigated fun, Dead Man Rising was a very personal exploration of darkness, Devil's Right Hand was me scared to death in a good way and working on something much bigger than I'd ever tried before, Saint City Sinners was me saying goodbye to old friends, and To Hell And Back was a big blazing redemption story. I loved them all in very different ways.

What projects are you currently working on?
Right now I'm working on the third in the Strange Angels series, the fifth Jill Kismet book, and assorted short stories. It's a lot of work, but I'd rather have too much work than none at all.

What’s next for you in the future? What direction do you see your books heading?
I have a very foggy idea that's been coalescing in between other projects, a book full of homicidal faeries and a man named Jeremy Gallow. When I get the current glut of work out of the way I might take some time off and explore him a little bit. He seems interesting.

Thanks Lili!

For more information about Lili St. Crow and Strange Angels, please check out her website. Betrayals the sequel to Strange Angels is scheduled to be released November 17, 2009.

41 comments:

  1. Awesome interview. Strange Angels sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! =)) I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview!

    Homicidal faeries? I'd read that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've noticed that a whole lot of my favorite YA books lately have been written by authors who were "asked to do it". I don't know who is asking them but wow! Keep up the good work!

    Ooh! I'd read a killer faerie book too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homicidal faeries? Sounds interesting!
    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great interview. I've only read a few short stories by this author but really liked them.I'm looking forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! Totally can't wait for her next two books to come out, it's definitely going to be overwhelming...Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful interview! I can't wait to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview! I didn't know that Strange Angels was part of a series!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to the Strange Angel series. I've already heard good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview! I hadn't read anything by this author before but just reading her responses makes me want to look up her other work!

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I understood why it is necessary for some authors to change their names when they transition between adult and young adult fiction. Maybe someone can tell me that one day. :(

    Valorie
    morbidromantic@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great interview! I must say that I especially loved her answer to question number one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, 3 to 5 books in the series, can't wait to read them all!

    sara

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard of these books before but have never read them. They look pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that these new YA books are being more realistic about their content. Homicidal faeries? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love series books! I can't wait to check out her other ones too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait until we hear more about Jeremy Gallow.
    Thanks!
    1bmore @ gmail . com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow, Strange Angels is going to be a series with more books?! Sweet. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  20. There's more? Cool, they looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm crazy impressed by anyone who can focus on more than one storyline at a time. It's hard enough sticking to one! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't wait to read Strange Angels! It sounds good...
    Homicidal faeries? Hmm...interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great Interview! and the book sounds really good, I'm intrigued :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. great interview ! Strange Angels sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great interview. This book sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great interview, I havent read anything by this author yet but both her adult and YA series sound very enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great interview, and it's wonderful to know that it will be an ongoing series!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I feel like a kid again, collecting Nancy Drew books. I'm glad to hear this will be a series of which 3 books have already been written. I can't wait to start reading.
    bgcchs@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. She is fantastic! I'm glad authors do interviews like this.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the fact that previously 'adult' only authors are making the move to YA and I am supremely happy that Lilith/Lili was asked to write a YA series!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amazing to get an interview with such an author. Also glad to have it confirmed that it -is- the same author, saw the book in the bookstore and wasn't entirely sure but figured it really couldn't be coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love Lili's books. They are all so fascinating. And this new YA series is to die for!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great interview! I love her books. :]

    ReplyDelete
  34. Book sounds great--thanks for the interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. It is so great to hear the inside info about a great author. This was a fantastic interview! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Loved the interview. I definitely want to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Awesome interview! Makes me want to read the book even more now!!!!
    navybrat76@yahoo.com
    http://military76brat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I think having two names (of a sort) for the adult books and the YA books is a great idea...it will work well to keep them seperate and let the YA readers know which are YA but it's still easy to find her other books :D

    ReplyDelete
  39. I agree that there's a difference between age-appropriateness and censoring. Books are for enjoyment, not for talking down to you. This book sounds AWESOME, and I think I'd really like your writing. Thanks for the interview!

    Max.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!