nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Review: Generation Dead by Daniel Waters

Generation Dead by Daniel Waters
Publisher: Hyperion Books for Children
Pub. Date: May 2008
Age Range: Young Adult
400pp

Phoebe is just your typical goth girl with a crush. He's strong and silent and dead.

All over the country, a strange phenomenon is happening. Some teenagers who die aren't staying dead. They are coming back to life, but they are no longer the same-they stutter, and their reactions to everything are slower. Termed "living impaired" or "differently biotic," they are doing their best to fit into a society that doesn't want them.

Fitting in is hard enough when you don't have the look or attitude, but when almost everyone else is alive and you're not, it's close to impossible. The kids at Oakvale High don't want to take classes or eat in the cafeteria next to someone who isn't breathing. And there are no laws that exist to protect the differently biotic from the people who want them to disappear-for good.

With her pale skin and Goth wardrobe, Phoebe has never run with the popular crowd. But no one can believe it when she falls for Tommy Williams, the leader of the dead kids. Not her best friend, Margi, whose fear of the differently biotic is deeply rooted in guilt over the past. And especially not her neighbor, Adam, the star of the football team. Adam has just realized his feelings for Phoebe run much deeper than just friendship. He would do anything for her, but what if protecting Tommy is the one thing that would make her happy?

First off, I want to say that Generation Dead is a totally fresh and original story. The writing is Brilliant with a capital B. The characters are so well developed that I felt their struggles and found myself completely engrossed in this book and could not put it down. I stayed up all night to read it and kept saying to myself “Keep it together.” Why? One minute I was laughing, the next minute I was angry and finally believe it or not I was tearing up (I’m a very emotional person). Was there an underlying message in this book? Well, I’ll let you come to your own conclusion about it. Mine, prejudice is something that is very apparent and we’re presented with diversity of choices on a daily basis. So, I say “You never truly know someone until you've walked a mile in his shoes.”

Daniel is able to get into the minds of teens and portray their thoughts, feelings, reactions and interactions to the world around them. I felt like I was teenager again. At times I found myself thinking back to when I was in high school and remembering all the cliques and how people were treated because they were different. Even with the “differently biotic” spin, this book is so relatable to what’s going on in today’s society. The only criticism I have, is when it ended I wanted more. I highly recommend this book, go check it out!

One last note: KISS OF LIFE THE SEQUEL TO GENERATION DEAD IN STORES TODAY!

Rating: 5 out 5 stars

39 comments:

  1. I loved this too, I can't wait to read Kiss of Life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this, and I'm looking forward to Kiss of Life too! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an interesting concept. Prejudice against the dead... that's a doctoral dissertation in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking forward to reading this. great review

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't love this book. And the ending confused me. I will read the sequel - I don't like not knowing what is happening. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gotta say I wasn't really interested in this book when I first heard about it. But your review and interview with the author has totally changed my mind! Thanks =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This isn't my typical kind of book but I did enjoy it and I was impressed with all the elements the author managed to incorporate!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I just started getting into the zombie like books, can't wait to start the series

    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen all kinds of zombie movies but I had no idea there were so many zombie books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've wanted to read this one for a long time now. It sounds great and I love the idea of using zombies as a symbol for prejudice and not accepting those who are "different."

    Good review!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've come across this book on some other blogs - your review does make me want to go out and get it.

    gaby317

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never read a zomboe book. This sounds neat!

    mj.coward[at]gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review. It was really well done and help to increase my interest in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Review. I will have to put these on my wishlist.
    Thanks
    Carlene
    iluvreading(at)verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been wanting to read this for ages and after reading your review I want to read it even more so! I didn't realize there was a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read this post the other day, but I didn't comment before. It sounds pretty intriguing, I'd like to give it a try. I haven't read a zombie book before.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definately not my typical book of choice but it sounds very interesting. I'd like to give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a huge fan of zombies, and when I read this book, I really enjoyed it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this kind of book. I'll definitely try it out! Love the Review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read the first one and it was amazing.Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A zombie boyfriend. Sounds funny. And how horrible are people to discriminate, especially against love.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the book, great review! Been putting off on getting it because I wasn't sure how good it was, the review definitely helped! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great review! I haven't finished it yet but so far I'm agreeing with what you said.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great review. This really looks like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't think I have ever read a book soley about zombies! ^_^

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I had never heard of this one - but it sounds like it would be a good one to share with my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  27. One of my favourite reviews for Generation Dead.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great review! I really need to get around to reading these...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Same here, I need to read them both as well!!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This book sounds so unique. It was one of those books that I noticed at work but the cover kind of threw me off. Not because I thought it was bad... but it was something that I felt I needed a few reviews on before diving into. Most of the reviews for this book are great, so now I am looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm surprised you liked this so much! It was okay and I now want to read kiss of life, but it wasn't amazing...in my opinion:-D
    addictedtobooks1993@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Brilliant is one of the best ways to describe this one. I just loved it! Zombies normally scare me but with this one it was like reading a book about prejudice and racism.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm been meaning to read this for FOREVER. I'm TOTALLY Team Zombie, and there really aren't enough good zombie books out there. Thanks for the review. Now I know to bump it further up my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I totally agree with you. Generation Dead was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great review! I haven't read this book yet but I keep meaning too pick it up somewhere. Your review makes me want to read it more.

    ReplyDelete
  36. That's a really well thought out review that definitely makes me want to go read that book--right now!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This looks like a great book with a unique concept!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!