nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Author Interview: Cyn Balog

Cyn Balog is a normal, everyday Jersey Girl who always believed magical things can happen to us when we least expect them. She’s also the Race & Event Manager for several national fitness magazines. She lives outside Allentown, Pennsylvania with her husband and young daughter. Both are 100% human, or so she thinks. FAIRY TALE is her first novel.

Fairy Tale is in stores today!

What inspired you to write your first book?
I wrote my first book when I was very young; probably in 1st grade or so. I just remember my sister sitting down and scribbling, and wanting to be like her, I asked what she was doing. She said she was writing a book. I thought that was the coolest thing, so I decided to do the same. I sat next to her and got out my paper and crayons. At one point I looked over and saw her book was titled, "THE BALL", and I thought, "that's a fine title," so I also called mine "THE BALL." A few hours later, I had this goofy little book about a beach ball that gets loose from its owners and has all these wild adventures. My sister still hadn't finished her cover... all I remember is it had a picture of a man and woman in formal attire dancing, and an amorphous hand throwing a knife at them. I think it was supposed to be a mystery, but she never finished it.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
From lots of places, mostly online. I like scouring wikipedia, going from topic to topic until I find some really obscure or cool fact and seeing if I can fit it somewhere in my book. I got the idea for Fairy Tale because I wanted to write the story of how a perfect love can fall apart, but I wanted it to have a paranormal aspect. And even though this was before the "fairy boom" of YA, I still thought the idea of having the girl learn she was a fairy was pretty overdone, and dull. So I decided to make the guy the fairy, which is way more fun.

Can you explain how you came up with the original title Fairy Lust and why it was changed to Fairy Tale?
I actually had the title of Fairy Lust before I even wrote the book, it just fit so well. Before I wrote anything, I knew I wanted to make it about a person pining for a fairy, wanting something so badly that could never be. But as I wrote, I decided to keep it more PG, so there really was very little lust involved. Still, I loved that title, and so did many people, so I thought it would stay. And then, just a couple months before release, we received word that some people were nervous about bookstores refusing to carry the book in the YA section if "Lust" was on the cover. So we quickly made the change. But because it was Fairy Lust for so long to me, I can't seem to stop calling it that!

What makes Fairy Tale so different from other fairy books?
Aside from the fairy being a guy, I like to think that Fairy Tale is "fantasy-lite", for people who don't necessary like fantasy. It's set completely in this world, and the fairy aspect of it takes a sideline to the main theme, which is that even "perfect" love might not work out. Personally, a lot of talk about the different courts, and worlds, and characters with weird names... makes my head spin. I'm not a big fantasy lover. But I've always appreciated the more "human" side to these stories, which is something I tried to pull out more in Fairy Tale.

What are your current projects and can you share a little of your current work with us?
I am currently working on a novel called Sleepless, about a sandman who falls in love with a mortal girl whose sleep he controls. Here's the first paragraph:

If Mama, God rest her soul, could see me now, crouching outside the window of a young girl’s house, in this tree, she would surely rise from her grave and swat the life clean out of me. And I agree with her; this is no place for a man. But that is one thing I am not.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
Oh, yes, everything! I just got the finished copies in and whenever I crack it open, I cringe. Even though it is in such a beautiful packaging, I keep thinking it reads like a draft, like I should be able to take out that red pen and get to work on it.

Is there any additional information that you would like to share with the readers?
Nobody bakes a cake as tasty as a Tastycake. Really, I love them.


Thanks Cyn!

For more information about Cyn Balog and Fairy Tale, please check out her website here.

43 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this book.
    Great Interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way about never being satisfied with my work! which makes it hard to turn in school assignments!

    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know, I loved this. And I think is Cyn is so creative. I'm totally going to read every book she writes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to win a copy of this book and I'm a follower. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the fact she browses Wikipedia and enjoys cake.
    Very fun interview.

    Seahn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the interview! A fairy who's a guy and the next book is about a sandman -- sounds like too much fun!! And yummy cake!

    Great interview, cool responses!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great author interview!
    I'm sure there is no need for a red pen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, thanks for sharing that first line of the sandman story! Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a great book.& when is the ball going to be released as a childrens book??

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a great book. And I love the opening line to the sandman story, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm pumped for Fairy Tale, but I actually am more excited for the Sandman one. Seriously, I'm writing myself a note about that one and it could take years to come out. Also, Fairy Lust is a way cooler title - darn those bookstores and their snooty ways... :)
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that she believes in magical things. I do too, and I think it makes life so much more interesting. I've had my eye on this book, what attracted me to it is the wonderful cover of the book. I hope your book is a great success, and stop cringing when you open it, it's going to be a great success...believe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited for Fairy Tale!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks really good but i think she should've kept the origional title

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great interview! I didn't know the fairy was a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know how she feels about always feeling like something needs editing. I'm working on a little somethin' of my own. Loved the interview and can't wait to be able to read her book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is an insightful interview. Nice job. I wonder if there's any writer who would feel his/her work just so perfect and need no more editing. If there's any book like this, I must have a read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great interview.
    The book looks awesome...can't wait o read it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice interview. A male fairy. Go figure. The story sounds interesting enough to thwart my masculine insecurities, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds interesting, a different fairy tale, I'd love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh nice interview. i'm looking forward to reading this book! =D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have this book from the library, it looks really good and I've heard nothing but how great it is. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  23. First book in first grade?! That's so cute!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great interview! That sandman books sounds great, Cyn, I can't wait to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great interview! I love the title Fairy Lust!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great interview! I actually have the title of the book countdown gadget on my blog as Fairy Lust, so that's cool!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would love to read this book! I've read other fairy books and I like that theme.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I liked this review, it was really personable and the question about whether she'd change anything was interesting to me. Good job!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cyn's so funny! It's the first time I've heard an author say that she wants to change everything about her book. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like that she refers to her book as fantasy-lite. I wonder how well her book has actually be received by non-fantasy readers though. It seems like the title would deter non-fantasy people from reading it. But maybe Balog has had a different experience?

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm another one who love the original title!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really love how she looks for obscure facts to put into her story. And it's definitely new, and cool, to see that it's the guy who's the faerie, not the girl.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I enjoyed that obscure little fact about her writing The Ball. I seriously thought of a "formal" ball and then when I read that her sister had an unfinished picture of that, I was like hah!

    very fun interview. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. This was a fun interview. I love how the web influenced her. The author sounds like so amazing. I can't wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nice interview. If the book is half as fun as Cyn, it's sure worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is right up my alley, thanks for great author interview!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. SOUNDS GREAT!!!
    I wish I could find it in Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Cyn, loved reading your interview and how you came too, to writing FAIRY TALE. Its too how I've read the blurb and feel, like what it would be like to be a Fairy. I think thats why I so love reading about them.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Interesting review - thought it was cool how she just sort of floats around different places to try to get obscure ideas - also wondering what a Tastycake is...

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great interview! I've never heard of Tastycake, but I so want a cake from them now! lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. great interview! I'm more excited to read it now!!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for the interview. I love to hear the authors thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!