nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Monday, June 15, 2009

Interview: Aprilynne Pike

Please welcome Aprilynne Pike, author of best-selling debut Wings!!

What got you interested/started in writing?
I have been writing casually since I was little, but I really started thinking maybe I could do it professionally when I was in college and decided to major in Creative Writing. But even so, I didn't start my first novel till about a year after I graduated college, and didn't finish my first novel until another two years after that! (Apparently I'm a little slow. :))

How has your environment/upbringing colored your writing?
I don't know that it has, a lot. I have yet to set a story in a city where I've lived. However, my family did move around a bit, especially while I was in high school, and my experiences being the new girl helped me write about Laurel moving into a new city and attending a new school.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Pacing. I am not very good at pacing. Luckily, I have an editor that is, and she really helps me with it.

What, in your opinion, are the most important elements of good writing?
In the end, the only thing that really matters to me as far as good writing goes is being able to engage the reader. I mean, I have my own opinions about point of view, the use of commas and em-dashes, tense, etc. but even if you write a perfect story as far as logistics go, it doesn't mean you will be able to engage the reader. And if finding that spark between you and your audience requires a bit of rule breaking? I'm okay with that.:)

With all of the faerie/fairy books out today, what makes Wings so different?
Without being too spoilery, you have never seen faeries like my faeries.:) I am so proud of my mythos; I really worked long and hard on it. And in the end, it is really the one element that I think makes Wings stand out.

What do you consider to be your best accomplishment?
My marriage and my three kids. Did you mean in the writing field?;) As far as writing goes, at the moment, I think my best accomplishment was that when the novel my agent signed me for didn't sell, I didn't give up, and I didn't try to keep pushing it. I wrote another one, and it was better.

What genre of books do you like to read? Do you limit yourself to only the genre that you write yourself?
I like to read all kinds of YA and I also like romance, mystery, and thrillers. And although I don't limit myself only to YA, I find that I do mostly read it, because I like to stay up on what is out there. But boy, I like me some Mary Higgins Clark now and again.:)
What’s the best compliment that you’ve received about Wings?
Even after all this time, I still love what my editor told me about Wings, right after a really brutal round of revisions. (I really needed it right then!) She told me Wings was, "Compulsively readable."


Thanks Aprilynne!

For more information about Aprilynne Pike and Wings, please check out her website here.

51 comments:

  1. That was something I really liked about Wings-- Her faeries WERE different! It was the first look at faeries like that-- I loved it! Great Interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the excellent interview. I want to read Wings sometime, I've read some great reviews on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been turning back to faeries as of late and this one sounds very intriguing. Might have to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that her faeries were different! The book was refreshingly original.

    Great interview, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome interview! :) I'm so excited to getting around to reading this book. I've fallen in love with fairies since I read Wicked Lovely, so it'll be cool to see Pike's take on fairy lore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely interview. I really do wnat to read this one. It sounds great and I'm starting to really enjoy the idea of fairies...not that I didn't before, but I hadn't read about them, but I have now so it's great!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! I have got to pick this one up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Without being too spoilery, you have never seen faeries like my faeries.:)"

    Oh boy, now I really REALLY want to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome interview!!
    I REALLLY want to read this booooook!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome interview, that was really insightful! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love faeries ever sense i read Melissa Marr's books
    here's another faerie book YAY!!!
    I hope Aprilynne make more faerie books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was already on my wishlist, but I want it ever more now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not good at pacing either. It's my one flaw. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks good--will definitely have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome interview! I really am looking forward to this book! I like YA and romance as well, so I think I'm going to enjoy this book. It's on my wishlist!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great interview. Its nice to see different questions. So many interviews seem to use the same questions or variations.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great interview! You ask better questions than I ever can!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great interview.You asked great questions.
    I'm enjoting reading all the faery stories that have come out lately.I can' wait to read this one.

    elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your interviews. Thanks for all your work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've heard that this was good too! This is a series right? I can't wait to read it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was an amazing interview. I really want to read the book. Thanks for the contest. I love this site and am a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great interview - "compulsively readable" is the one thing that makes me want to read this even more!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Engaging the reader is the best thing an author could do :) I agree there!!
    Great interview.. thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have read several faerie books..I would love to read what makes the faeries in Wings different!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, she sounds really nice. I agree, I think engaging the reader is the most important. Besides, I think people's ideas of a perfectly written book would vary.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the interview! It was great! From what I've heard about Wings I definately think it is compulsively readable! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great interview! I really want to read Wings, I've heard great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice interview, I really want to read Wings =)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I admire her perseverance when it came to being published and it seems to be worth it. Good interview.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I already have Wings on my TBR list but I think it will move up on my list. faeries that are different and "Compulsively readable" certainly has increased my intrigued level.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great interview! Looking forward to read the book...

    ReplyDelete
  32. She's so right! It doesn't matter how you write the book, engaging your readers, now, that's the real challenge. I would love to read her book!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have some pacing issues too, I know how she feels. :P

    The cover of this is just gorgeous, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Always looking out for new authors, thanks for this interview!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Her own faerie mythos makes it interesting enough for me to wanna read this!!
    bunnybx at gmail . com

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love that she thinks engaging the reader is the most important element - I am not a writer, but as a reader - if I am not engaged, I don't care how "well written" it is - I won't be reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've been wanting to her book for awhile. New takes on faeries (or fairies, I suppose) are always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  38. That was a great interview! I can't wait to read Wings.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love getting to know the authors, it makes me feel more connected!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Awesome Interview... with this I just cant wait to read the book, looks so great, I love this kind of stories.

    ReplyDelete
  41. having your book be 'Compulsively readable' is fantastic--and probably something every author would love :D

    ReplyDelete
  42. Nice interview! Really looking forward to reading WINGS myself.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks for the great interview!

    Now I'm really exited to find out what her faeries are like. It always amazes me how writers can make a type of creatures to something special just in their books(be it faeries, vampires, zombies or other creatures).

    ReplyDelete
  44. Nice interview. Those questions do pick the author's mind. :D

    ReplyDelete
  45. i love fairy books.
    and its really cool to hear that shes been writin since she was little, and was able to be so sucessful afterwards!
    great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love faries. I also like reading about them and others views and takes on them.. Everyone sees things differently. Thank you for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I can't wait to read Wings! I really want to see why they're special now. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Fantastic interview! I really want to read Wings, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I'm glad to see that even though she wrote about fairies, she made up most of her things, I guess. That's nice, because I don't like seeing things being rehashed again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Yeah, I like to read all kinds of ya books too!


    dsym_06(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!