nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Friday, June 26, 2009

Review: Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon

Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Pub. Date: April 2009
Age Range: 12 and up
352pp

Silver Phoenix is a fantasy novel about Ai Ling on a journey to find her father, but along the way her journey becomes difficult when unspeakable evil tries to thwart her progress. Just when it seems hope is all gone, she gets rescued from an unlikely foreigner Chen Yong. Chen Yong finds himself drawn to Ai Ling and it is he that offers to help her on her mission for he is in search for answers of his own and it seems that their paths are leading them to the same place.

Ai Ling discovers that she has mysterious powers and while on her journey she is still discovering what these powers are. Ai Ling and company get the shock of their lives on their journey when they discover that Ai Ling is more than what she seems. Ai Ling is befuddled with this information and has to pull all her bravery and will power to defeat this evil force that has a hand in her life.

Ai Ling finds herself face to face with a powerful foe and she will need all the help she can get....

This is Cindy Pon’s debut novel and she did a fantastic job. The writing is spellbinding and the imagery kept me fascinated. I love all of the different lands that the characters traveled through. The characterization is on point. Ai Ling is a strong heroine considering her Xian customs and one of my favorite characters in this novel is Li Rong – I found myself constantly laughing or smiling throughout this book at him. This was a hard book to put down and I can say I would have finished sooner if I was able to read it on a weekend. I tried to get as many sneaks as I could during lunch or on my commute home because I had to know what would happen next. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for Ai Ling and company in the future. I will definitely be reading more of Cindy Pon’s novels.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

4 comments:

  1. This book is getting great reviews and this one makes me want to read it even more.

    Seahn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this book. It's been getting high ratings and reviews. And the cover is so gorgeous. Thanks for the great review!

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover which has attracted me to know more about the book. Your review has now intrigued to me read the book. Onto my TBR list it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great that we're seeing a new range of settings instead of the typical western medieval fantasy world that, frankly, has been done to death now. I've picked up a great buzz about Cindy and I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!