nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Author Interview: Michelle Zink

Michelle Zink lives in New York and has always been fascinated with ancient myths and legends. Never satisfied with simply reading them, she usually ends up asking, “What if?” Sometimes asking only leads to more questions, but every now and then, when everything falls into place just right, a story is born. Prophecy of the Sisters is one of those stories. Prophecy of the Sisters is in stores now!

What was the road to publishing Prophecy of the Sisters like?
Not as long as it could have been. I wrote seriously for about two-and-a-half years before Prophecy sold and wrote six books in that time. It was tough because we were really struggling financially and I knew it would be next to impossible to work full time, write AND take care of my four children. There were times when I was really close to giving up and just going back to work, but every time I came close something big would happen - signing with my agent, being told he thought the book was going to be big, etc. - and every time something like that happened, it just felt like the universe was trying to tell me something.

What comes to mind when you hear the words "the perfect story"?
For me the perfect story is more than a good book. It's even more than a book that's well-crafted. It's a story that resonates. That stays with me long after reading it. There are a few books that are special like that for me. White Oleander by Janet Fitch is one.

Are there any writers, past or present, who inspire your style?
I think everything I've ever written has inspired my style to some degree, but I'm too embarrassed to compare myself to any of those writers!

What question are you asked again and again? What question would you like to be asked about you/your book?
People are always fascinated with the journey to publication - and I don't blame them! I'm STILL fascinated with the road other authors have traveled to see their boosk published. I love discussing things like what's important in YA literature today, what we don't have enough of... Hmmmm. I may be too philosophical! Maybe we should just talk about ice cream! I love ice cream! And movies! :D

How do you feel when you see someone reading one of your books?
Things like that still feel so surreal to me. It's hard to connect the name on that cover with ME, you know. I still don't really feel like that person.

What projects are you working on now?
I have a few irons in the fire including a contemporary fantasy, another Gothic fantasy (this time set in London) with a little Steampunk undertone, and an idea that's haunting me for a companion series to Prophecy.

So far, what has been the most surprising response to your book?
I've had readers tell me that Lia's strength in the book has inspired them. That her determination in the face of such a hopeless situation has helped them see their own strength, too. I guess I always assumed modern readers wouldn't be able to take anything but a little escape away from a fantasy. It's been a pleasant surprise to realize that at the heart of things, it's the emotional connection that still counts - in any genre.

Is there anything else you want people to know about yourself or the book?
Not really! Ijust really hope everyone enjoys it and I look forward to continuing Lia and Alice's story in books two and three. Thanks so much for having me, Tina!


Thanks Michelle!

For more information about Michelle Zink and her books, please visit her website here.

18 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the interview! I bought the book yesterday and can't wait to start reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I hope she gets that story with the steampunk undertone published - that sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am getting th book this weekend. Waiting for it is torture. Wonderful interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does that mean Lia's the good one. I haven't really read an indept review of Prophecy of the Sisters. What I have heard, places one as being good and the other evil. Then there is a guy, along with the prophecy they have to deal with. Would love to read this, just so to see the dynamics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was a great interview! I really want to read this book! It looks SO good!
    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review! I'm going to read her book really soon, it sounds great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool interview, this book looks so good!

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad to hear a good story means something more than plot to her, great answer
    thanks for the giveway!
    wheresmyrain at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited that there will be two more books after The Prophecy of the Sisters. Plus, I'm really excited about the book that Michelle is currently working on.... I love Victorian settings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds awesome, interesting about how her book got published!

    pepsivanilla14(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to read Michelle's next books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview! And I agree with Michelle that part of what makes a book so great is if you are still thinking about it way after you are done reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, she was so busy while writing the book. But I'm glad that she perservered! The story sounds great and I want to read it soon.

    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview. Sounds like an interesting book and I am glad to see it will be a series - I love reading series as so often the there are so many questions remaining after just one book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A steampunk themed book, even in undertone, sounds amazing.

    Valorie
    morbidromantic@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Michelle is so great!! I agree with the perfect story.. It is one that stays. Great Interview!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting. Thanks for the great interview.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!