nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Review: My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent
Publisher: Harlequin
Pub. Date: August 2009
Age Range: Young Adult
288pp

She doesn't see dead people, but…

She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next…

 
Rachel is one of my favorite authors and I absolutely adore her Shifters series. So, imagine how surprised I was to find out that she was writing a YA series. **Clapped my hands and stomped my feet** Yes, that’s right! That’s how much I love her books!

It’s amazing how Rachel comes up with the worlds she creates for her readers. “Bean Sidhes,” I mean – who knew? But, you know what? It’s fascinating! I enjoyed learning about the background info of what bean sidhes (banshees) are. I love the originality of this book and it’s always nice to see a new spin in the paranormal world. It’s obvious that I love Rachel’s writing style and the fact that when reading any of her books I can never guess what’s going to happen next.

The characters in this book are wonderfully written and quite interesting. Rachel has a way of getting readers attached to the characters in her novels. I really enjoyed reading about Kaylee and Nash’s relationship. Nash and Tod are Umm…let me see, what’s that word? Oh, yeah I got it! HOT!!! That’s all I’m saying!

Now why did I have to go and get all fan girly? **Shrugs** I couldn’t help it!

The flow of the book was delivered quite well and kept me entertained throughout. I kept glancing to see how many pages I had left to read and found myself thinking, “How is this going to end?” I was not ready for the story to end. This book is fast paced and it kept me turning the pages. The ending of the book left me wanting more and I can’t wait to get my hands on My Soul to Save which comes out in January 2010.

Kudos to you Rachel for a job well-done on your first YA novel!

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

42 comments:

  1. I'm dying to read this book! It sounds so good :)

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was amazing! I loved it, I love Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful review. I have this one on my tbr shelf. :)

    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I will eventually read this one...

    ReplyDelete
  5. a book about banshees with a hot relationship... sound really interesting. another book to my reading list. (and that book "ruined" looks interesting too, I'll read about it)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to get a copy of this! So many great books are coming out lately!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so good, and what a beautiful cover!!!

    --Mariana

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book really does sound terrific, and I've also loved Rachel's shifter series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds super cool! Can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. An interesting premise...It looks quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Banshees? Don't hear much about them. I like that she decided to stray away from the usual paranormal/supernatural things (vampires and zombies have been run into the ground a bit).
    Sounds interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never read any of Rachel's books but this series sounds so original!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read the Shifters series, but I've been hearing a lot of good things about My Soul to Take. It sounds really interesting. :) Great review!

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved it, loved it, loved it! Looking forward to the next! Great book review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great book review. I really cant wait to get a copy of this book now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Initially I didn't want to read this but I've heard so many good things. Not to mention I've been browsing her other books and want to read them all now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm always up for a book that has some HOTT relationships in it! Can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome review! I'm so looking forward to reading this book! I love Rachel Vincent too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. this book sounds really really good! love Rachel! by the way, your job is awesome... great review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad I read your review. Now, for sure, I'm more interested in reading this book!
    wandanamgreb (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review! I can't wait to read this book, it sounds so ineresting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much. I sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love books with engaging characters!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great review! It sounds like a great book! I want to read it even more after reading your interview, so thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't read anything by Rachel Vincent before but this sounds so good. Just thinking about Nash already has me skipping with anticipation! :p

    ReplyDelete
  26. Paranormal YA has really taken off in recent years but this is the first time I think I've heard of a banshee being the main character. Really neat! I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great review! Now I have to read this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks really interesting! Im adding it to my wishlist! Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So glad I can't sense when someone is about to die. That must be awful, or at least it would be. Who would want to know about something terrible, if they can't do anything about it. Book still seems good. Will have to wait though. Thinking of going on a paranormal fast within the next few months, plus there's school.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great review! I can't wait to read this!

    shutupimreading.blogspot.com
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds like a great read! And I love the cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for the great review. I like the premise of this book & am really looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Can't wait for this new series!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This sounds really promising and great! I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've heard great things about her books, so I'll definitely be reading this series!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great review - I'm always up for a hot love story! I read the "prequel" that Rachel released on the web a while back, and I can't wait to get my hands on this one. It sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is on my BIWR list. I plan on downloading My Soul to Lose later on today. I think it's supposed to help you understand what Kaylee's going through and the history behind it. Or at least I read that somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, what high praise in your review! It is definitely a MUST read. I really enjoy series books.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great review! This book sounds interesting. I mean, I haven't ever read any books about banshees!

    ReplyDelete
  40. man now i really want to read it! great review!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Poor girl, I don't envy her screaming problems.
    I can't wait to have the book in my hands. And for the sequel... January 2010 seems too far away!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for a great review. I just love the covers for this series. So cool! I've never really been into YA but Rachel Vincent is great!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!