nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Review: Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink

Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle ZinkPublisher: Little, Brown & Company
Pub. Date: August 1, 2009
Age Range: Young Adult
343pp

An ancient prophecy divides two sisters-
 One good...
One evil...
 Who will prevail?

Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets.

Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust.

They just know they can't trust each other.

Prophecy of the Sisters is a great debut novel by Michelle Zink. I love Michelle’s writing style both riveting and captivating. What I enjoyed most was how everything tied together perfectly to tell a spellbinding story. All the details were unfolded in a clever way where it kept me wondering about certain turn of events and how everyone would fare in the end. I was thoroughly surprised by certain outcomes in this book.

Talk about opposites, Lia and Alice are the walking talking epitome of different which is why I enjoyed both of these characters for different reasons. I would have loved to see Alice’s viewpoint just to understand what’s going on inside of her head.

This book was intriguing in its dark gothic setting but it was downright mysteriously spooky too with the whole good vs. evil end of the world factor. If this was a movie, I would probably have a hard time watching it for fear of nightmares.

The one thing that fascinated me most about this book was the dream travel. I hate going all philosophical on book reviews but sometimes I can’t help it, so I’ll just say I’ve always been fascinated by this, but I call it deja vu. I wonder how Michelle came up with this aspect of the story.

I will be highly anticipating the next chapter in Lia and Alice’s journey to unlock the prophecy.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

21 comments:

  1. Great review! I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot of hype surrounding this book - I assume because it's an enjoyable read (though that cover is pretty outstanding all by itself). Thanks for the thorough review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds great. I can't wait to get a hold of it soon.
    Thanks for the great review without posting any spoilers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is waiting for me at the library and I'm even more excited now that I know there is dream travel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the wonderfully thorough review review!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got this one at home on my pile to read, it looks really good! :)

    I've given you an award over at my blog. :)
    http://www.bookworminginthe21stcentury.com/2009/08/more-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. WoW! This looks SO good! I can't wait to read it! This was a great review!
    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so want to read this book, I actually will read this soon. Your review just makes it sound more interesting, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds amazing! I'm so excited to read it.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review, as always.
    Can't wait to read this book, the synopsis and the cover are catching.
    I was wondering in what year is placed the story? it is a modern story, or 1800 maybe? Just curiosity because of the cover and, well, I've read a few reviews about this book, but nobody (at least not that I remember) talked about the time...

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a great story, i think i need to read this one
    thanks for hosting the contest

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, this book sounds really good. I love books that keep me guessing til the end!

    pepsivanilla14(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to read this book...and read about the "dream travel"...it sounds so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard a lot of things about this book - it looks intriguing and rather unique.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review sounds like an interesting book. Hope to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a pretty creepy read, but also oddly spiritual. Sounds great. :)

    Valorie
    morbidromantic@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review. Thanks for reinforcing that I really do want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Deja vu/Dream travel aspect of the novel sounds really interesting to me...

    ReplyDelete
  19. there is so much buzz about this book!!! I can see a great story and awesome saga....Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!