nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Review: Sleepless by Thomas Fahy

Sleepless by Thomas Fahy
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Pub. Date: August 2009
Age Range: Young Adult
224pp

Imagine one day waking up to find yourself in a strange place covered in blood with no clue as to how you got there….
What if your classmates start turning up dead and the only clue that links everyone together are strange dreams of committing murder….

Emma and her “secret” society members embark on a journey to discover the mysteries surrounding the deaths of their classmates in small town Sea Cliff.

Sleepless is the first of Fahy’s novels that I’ve read and so with every new author‘s book that I review I have to adjust to the writing style. Once I got that under my belt, the pages kept turning and I found myself suspended in the mysteries surrounding the deaths of teens at Saint Opportuna High. I was entertained by the concept of sleepwalking the most, but the more I think about it – it’s quite frightening!

Why you say? My baby sister use to sleepwalk and it was the scariest thing for me to witness when I was younger. Especially to be startled awake by something and notice that she had wandered out the back door and had no idea how she got there. I’m just grateful that it doesn’t happen anymore. Anyway…

I liked how this story was told in different perspectives by Emma and Jake and how each struggled to understand what their dreams meant. It also kept up the suspense surrounding the murders of their classmates. The only thing that was lacking for me is the emotional connection to the main characters and some of their reactions to certain events.

Overall this was a good read.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

19 comments:

  1. Your review is good. I also have to say that it sounds frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cover of this book! It screams 'read me!' (well, at least to me). Thanks for the review - I have to admit the premise is creepy, but maybe it's creepy-good, yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your review is excellent. I use to sleep walk, and it can be really weird. Looks really good. I have totally added it to my wish list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover of this book! It's so creepy.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I have to admit it was the cover that first attracted me to this one, but your review makes me definitely want to read it! Thanks for helping me make up my mind!

    xoxo Amy (Park-Avenue Princess)

    IAmHiMaintenance(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds awesome, even though it's such a pity it lacks emotional connection. I'll try to get my hands on this book someday ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds intriguing, yet creepy. I can't wait to read it! The cover along looks a bit scary! Great review, Tina!

    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds so awesome, I want to read it so badly...I haven't read a teen horror book in AGES

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice review, obviously not the greatest read but I'm still interested in it, maybe it's the cover ...hm who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sleepwalking is a terrifying thing. My father used to do it and did some very strange things during.

    Valorie
    morbidromantic@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review - this sounds creepy, with the sleep walking. Did you like any character better than the others?

    gaby317nyc AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review--I really like the concept of this story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds interesting. I'm not usually a big fan of creepy, but maybe I'll give it a try. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a great review and I feel like I have a better understanding for the book. It really is scary that your sister used to sleepwalk--I can't imagine waking up and finding myself not in bed!!
    Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cover of this book caught my eye immediately! Thanks for the review - I'm definitely adding it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks freaky! So I'm definitely going to read it. The cover caught my eye, it looks scary. But it seems like a pretty creative book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I sleepwalk... after I stay up all night reading a good book! But thats our curse being a bibliophile!

    Book looks great! Adding it to my tbr list.

    -Britt
    brittanynoelle (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!