nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Sunday, September 20, 2009

In My Mailbox (22)

Bloomsbury sent me this one for review:

Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Pub. Date: October 13, 2009
Age Range: 12 and up
336pp

Synopsis
Lyn is a neo-gladiator’s daughter, through and through. Her mother has made a career out of marrying into the high-profile world of televised blood sport, and the rules of the Gladiator Sports Association are second nature to their family. Always lend ineffable confidence to the gladiator. Remind him constantly of his victories. And most importantly: Never leave the stadium when your father is dying. The rules help the family survive, but rules—and the GSA—can also turn against you. When a gifted young fighter kills Lyn’s seventh father, he also captures Lyn’s dowry bracelet, which means she must marry him... For fans of The Hunger Games and Fight Club, Lise Haines’ debut novel is a mesmerizing look at a world addicted to violence—a modern world that’s disturbingly easy to imagine.

For Review:

Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue by Hugh Howey
Publisher: Norlightspress.Com
Pub. Date: September 28, 2009
292pp

Synopsis (Amazon)
Molly gets kicked out of the Naval Academy and loses the only two things that truly matter: flying in space and her training partner, Cole. A dull future awaits, until her father's old starship-missing for a decade-turns up halfway across the galaxy. Its retrieval launches Molly and Cole on the adventure of a lifetime, one that will have lasting consequences for themselves and billions of others. The simple quest to reconnect with her past ends up forging a new future. And the forgotten family she hoped to uncover becomes one she never foresaw: a band of alien misfits and runaways. Together, they form a new family-the crew of the starship Parsona.



I got a Rampant bookmark - thanks to Lizzy @ CornucopiaofReviews

So, most of you know that I'm obsessed with the Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning and to show you how much I purchased...

I Heart Barrons Tote & MacHalo mouse pad! Isn't it lovely?


10 comments:

  1. Awesome! Girl in the Arena sounds like an interestingly original book! Happy reading :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl in the Arena is my most-anticipated book right now - I'm hoping it lives up to its promise (well, the cover IS pretty fantastic). Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like most people, I'm really excited about Girl In the Arena. It sounds great - I'll look forward to reading what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want Girl in the Arena. Can't wait for your review! Happy reading! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl in the Arena sounds awesome; I want to read so badly. :)

    happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure do love that mousepad! tee-hee
    I can't wait to hear what you think of Girl in the Arena!! Enjoy :)

    I'd use that Barron's tote with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl in the Arena sounds so good. Think I'm going to have to get that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    I just finished reading Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue. The book is definately worth your time to review. It was very riveting and kept me wanting to continue reading. This book is one that once you start reading it, you can't put it down.

    I am quite intrigued to see what the author comes up with in the next book in the series.

    Please read this book. I know you will not be disappointed. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have already purchased the Hugh Howey book, "Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue" and absolutely love this book. I am about half way through and anxious to finish it. This book is full of sci-fi adventure, humor, comradery and a little romance. I highly recommend this to everyone who enjoys a little bit of everything in their stories. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Molly Fyde! What an incredible character and brilliant story!!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!