nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Review: Candor by Pam Bachorz

Candor by Pam Bachorz
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Pub. Date: September 22, 2009
Age Range: 12
256pp


Pam Bachorz delivered a thrilling debut novel full of suspense, betrayal and forbidden romance.

Picture this: One day your family moves to this beautiful little town where all the residents are nice, environment friendly, the teens don’t break curfew, they eat healthy and they strive for excellence by constantly studying and excelling in their classes. Well, that doesn’t sound too bad right? Well not for Oscar Banks who’s been living in Candor, FL since it was founded and he knows the truth… Everyone is being controlled by subliminal messages and he’s found a way to work around the loopholes to help others. Oscar has a perfect system that allows him to do as he pleases until he meets Nia, a girl who’s captured his heart and he wants her just the way she is, but at what cost will he go against everything he‘s worked for to keep her in his life…

I enjoyed the uniqueness of the characters in Candor. First there’s Oscar, the golden boy who can do no wrong that everyone looks up to and then there’s the real Oscar, the rebel that no one gets to see unless you’re one of his clients and I loved that about this story seeing him managing the different personas in different situations. Bachorz did a fantastic job with the characters in Candor. There were some touching moments then there were the laugh out loud moments which I really enjoyed coming from what goes on inside Oscar’s head.

Candor is a great sci-fi story and I enjoyed the pacing of the story which kept the suspense up to compel me to read this book down to very last page nonstop. I had to know how everything would pan out for Oscar especially with how serious the consequences for not being “Candor like” involved. Just when I assumed what I thought the ending would be, I got an eye opener. Now that’s what I get for assuming because the ending was “WOW!” It was so unexpected.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

27 comments:

  1. I'll be looking forward to reading this - I love unexpected plot twists. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book! Glad you liked it(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just posted my review for this today! I also really enjoyed it. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed it so much! One of my faves this year too :)

    Loved your review

    ReplyDelete
  5. Subliminal messages huh, this sounds good. Love a good SciFi. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds really great! I have it on my TBR list, hopefully I'll have my hand on it soon. Glad you enjoyed it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome review, you made me want to read this book more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. I like that Oscar is a rebel, I always love a bad boy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love unexpected endings! And this one already sounded awesome before the review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book looks so interesting and so unique. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this one sounds really good! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an intriguing plot. Your review makes this book sound so good that I now want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! This one sounds really good, I really want it! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm intirgued! This book sounds pretty interesting. I think I'll give it a go! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everyone is saying they were suprised by the ending! I've got to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds good, you got me curious about the ending now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love books with a surprising ending. Now I really have to get this book. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I’m indescribably intrigued by this book. It sounds like an awesome book, just the type that I would enjoy and worship. I’ve had it on my TBR list since I’ve first heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmm...this is one I haven't heard much about. It sounds good. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've added it to by TBR list! ~Natalie (Mindful Musings)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for the great review! I've been keeping my eye on this for a whiel and it seems like I might finally have to get it. (:

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cool! I haven't read anything like this in quite awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice review :D I hadn't heard of Candor until recently, but I look forward to reading it now. The story sounds very interesting and I'm glad the characters are so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been dying to read this book, and your review just supports my belief that it's awesome. The ending has me crazy with curiosity!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Shawna L
    weloveourdogs@juno.com

    This book sounds like it is right down my line in the kinds of books I love to read. Thanks for this review it was the tip of the ice-burg in me wanting to buy it so I hope to get it real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow this looks very good, i can't wait to read it

    ReplyDelete
  26. Candor sounds like an original book. I love the color and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. My 16 year old son listened to this and we both loved it. We typically do not like science fiction books, but this was somewhat realistic and kept us interested.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!