nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Review: The Hollow by Jessica Verday

The Hollow by Jessica VerdayPublisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Pub. Date: September 2009
Age Range: Young Adult
544pp

When Abbey's best friend, Kristen, vanishes at the bridge near Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, everyone else is all too quick to accept that Kristen is dead?and rumors fly that her death was no accident. Abbey goes through the motions of mourning her best friend, but privately, she refuses to believe that Kristen is really gone. Then she meets Caspian, the gorgeous and mysterious boy who shows up out of nowhere at Kristen's funeral, and keeps reappearing in Abbey's life. Caspian clearly has secrets of his own, but he's the only person who makes Abbey feel normal again...but also special.

Just when Abbey starts to feel that she might survive all this, she learns a secret that makes her question everything she thought she knew about her best friend. How could Kristen have kept silent about so much? And could this secret have led to her death? As Abbey struggles to understand Kristen's betrayal, she uncovers a frightening truth that nearly unravels her—one that will challenge her emerging love for Caspian, as well as her own sanity.

From the opening of the book, Verday takes us right into Abbey’s mindset after the loss of her best friend Kristen. We get to see how she copes in her daily life without Kristen. I enjoyed reading Abbey’s reflections on her friendship with Kristen and how inseparable they were and how much fun they had together. They made so many plans together when Kristen was alive and I got a better understanding of Abbey’s feelings of loneliness and the guilt from moving on with her life. Then out of nowhere, Caspian, a mysterious and gorgeous stranger comes into Abbey’s life. Caspian helps Abbey cope with her grief and her loneliness starts to turn into belonging again. I was totally wrapped up in Abbey’s and Caspian’s intense relationship. The newness of their relationship and getting to know each other and falling in love kept me turning the pages.

I love Verday’s writing style and how it made me feel like I’m living in the book alongside Abbey and her fascination with The Sleepy Hollow Legend and her many trips to the cemetery. I also enjoyed the details of Abbey’s love of perfume making.

I really didn’t know what to expect as the pages finally dwindled down, because there are some mysteries yet to be resolved. There’s one major piece to the story that I did not see and that left me baffled with a “Who? What? & How?” I was shocked! Verday did a great job keeping me in suspense. My heart goes out to poor Abbey - Can’t even catch a break! I felt so bad for her. When I finally got down to the last chapter, I knew I would have to wait it out for some answers…

The Hollow is a great start to a series and I can’t wait to read the next chapter in Abbey’s story!

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

45 comments:

  1. Great review! It reminds me how crazy I am from not picking up a copy yet

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this review, I've been wanting to hear more about The Hollow! It's not out in the UK for another few weeks but I'll definitely be picking up a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard such great things about this so far, I am so excited to read it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks interesting.

    Not many books take on the Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review.I'm looking forward to reading this book

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in desperate need of being able to read this book! It looks soooo good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this book too. I'm really looking forward to the sequels! Nice review(:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I can't wait to read this. The mailman is being so slow UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray for this being a series! Love the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh...this one has such a gorgeous cover, and I'm ready for the suspense and twists and cool storyline. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice review sounds like you liked the book. Hope I will too once I get a chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know it was the beginning of a series! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited about the romantic element of the plot. That is my biggest draw to a book, so I'm really interested in this one. I'm glad that there will be two more books - I hate to leave a good book behind!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love a yummy romance and how it comes to be! If you say this has that I can't wait!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen this book popping up everywhere! I love the cover - and based on Legend of Sleepy Hollow? Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! Jessica Verday is a new author to me but I've been hearing a lot about her lately. wandanamgreb(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  17. The book sounds amazing! And the cover is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually picked this up the day it came out and finished it that same day. I couldn't put it down because I kept wanting to find out more. Can't wait for book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like such an amazing book, the premise and the suspense...I want to read this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't wait to read this book!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review! This just made me want to read it even more than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay, didn't read the entire review because I don't like reading reviews before I've read something that I know I'm going to read....anyhow, I can't imagine losing a best friend. How sad. :( Looking forward to reading this book. Would love to win a copy!

    P.S. - I seriously abhor pop-up word verifications. Will you think about changing that? Maybe a "pop-up comment" box instead? Or full page comments? You can keep the verification, it just sucks on the "below the post" comment box. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome Review! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the review! 4/5 stars is pretty good and this book has been on my reading list for awhile...I might just have to break down and buy it!

    Mindful Musings Book Blog

    ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great review! I've heard before that the book left some unanswered questions, I hope it's not too much of a cliffhanger ending, I hate those!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like an exciting book! Definitely have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oooo, mysterious and gorgeous strangers...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great review! This sounds like it's going to be a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I didn't know it was going to be a series, how cool! I still have to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. On the upside: it looks like a really great book. On the downside: yet another book series that I will be impatient to wait for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You know, I actually didn't know what this book was about until now. Great review! Sounds interesing. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've heard a lot of great things about this book and I must say hearing it again from you makes me dying to read it! I like that she leaves you in suspense. Definitely can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This sounds so good and I love when I find out that a book is part of a series. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm really excited about reading this book now that I've read your review =) I love suspense, and Caspian is such an awesome name~

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sounds like a great read based on your review. Will have to add it to my reading list.
    SusanB

    ReplyDelete
  36. I want to read this sooo bad. I've read the first chapter online but thats it. Great review.

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  37. This sounds like a fantastic book! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This book sounds mysterious and original! I've never heard of a paranormal YA based on the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I'm curious as to how it's tied into the story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  39. The book came on time and was in excellent condition. It's a great read ad well. I would recommend this book to people who like mysteries. My 14 yr old daughter loves it.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!