nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Friday, October 16, 2009

Guest Post: Maggie Stiefvater

I would like to thank Maggie Stiefvater for being a guest on my blog today. Faeries are popular supernatural beings in YA today and I don't know about you but some of them are totally swoon worthy. But to put things into perspective, Maggie will be sharing a little advice with readers about why we shouldn't date these mysterious beings. Please pray tell Maggie what we are getting ourselves into!

Don't Date Faeries

I really, really don’t recommend you date a faerie.

Some things you would think were obvious, but still, they need to be said. It might seem like a good idea, dating a beautiful eternal being with a knack for music and magic, but historically, it never turns out well for the human.

First of all, you’re not really going to see eye to eye. Your faerie significant other will be at least several decades older than you, if not centuries, and they’re not going to be into the same things as you.

That means a ton of Mondays watching House all by yourself and you can forget about them getting your Red Hot Chili Peppers addiction.

Second of all, faeries tend to be pretty contemptuous of human emotions. The things they value tend to be abstract like valor, and truth, and industriousness. Sounds good in theory, right? But in practice, it means they aren’t going to like it when you loaf around in your pajama bottoms all day and they definitely won’t get it when you cry over not getting into the college of your dreams.

So you’re going to have to find another shoulder to cry on.

And third of all, they have a great sense of humor, but generally their brand runs towards the mischievous or malevolent variety. So while you two can laugh together over the physical comedy in The Three Stooges, it won’t be so funny when they try it out on you.

Humans are sort of more breakable than faeries.

And lastly, they have commitment problems. You can try your hardest to keep them, even going so far as to stealing their skin and hiding it in your attic, but eventually they will take off and leave you. Sometimes by your lonesome. Sometimes with a brood of half-faerie babies that, for all their magical bloodlines, still make a helluva lot of baby poo.

Anyway, so it’s with all these considerations in mind that I try to keep my relationships in my faerie books human on human rather than human on faerie. And if I do write a human-faerie relationship, you better believe I’m looking for ways to close that gap the best I can. In Ballad, when James steps over the line into dangerous faerie-lover territory, I did my best as a writer to help him out. I mean, you can’t give the boy everything. But you can at least give the object of his crush some semblance of a soul. The LEAST I can do. I mean, I did have the faeries split his head open in the last book. I’m feeling a little guilty.

But for the rest of you, steer clear of faerie lovers. I’m just telling you, it’s not a good idea.


Thanks Maggie for stopping by! You can visit her online at http://www.maggiestiefvater.com/.

28 comments:

  1. My husband will be glad of your warning Maggie. I will stay clear of faerie lovers.

    I have Ballad sitting on my piano waiting for its read turn. Reading Maggie's guest post has made the decision..."Ballad, here I come!"

    BTW: I absolutely loved Lament. It was one of my favorite reads for the month of August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewww, steal their skin and keep it in your attic.

    Fae, of all the paranormal creatures, really creep me out.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I lol'ed several times. If you haven't read Maggie's books, do so! Ballad, Lament and Shiver are not to be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read Shiver, and I just ordered Lament and Ballad from The Book Depository. Can't wait to read them! Great guest post!

    Natalie @ Mindful Musings

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was so much fun! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished reading Ballad, so I found this post especially well-timed. And also funny. I have to go wipe pepsi off my computer screen now, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! This was great. She really cracks me up. Have you seen her 'Kraken are the New Vampire' video? Hilraious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff! I've read Shiver and it is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I just say, of all the author interviews I've read lately, she's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading this interview made me think of If You Give A Mouse A Cookie. HEHE, but I totally agree. Don't date the fae.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never read Maggie's books but they look quite interesting and I cannot wait to read them.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read Shiver or Ballad yet but I can't wait! Now I know what not to do around faeries and will never, ever date one! Love this guest post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know, I can be much older than I seem. Maybe fairies would suit me just fine. lol

    Deidre

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved Shiver. I have not had a chance to get Ballad yet (My bookstore doesn't have it) but I will get one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny post! I will be sure to steer clear of faeries.

    throuthehaze at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Maggie! I won't be asking any faeries on dates anytime soon. I like my head in one peice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great advice from Maggie. I don't think I'll be dating a fairy anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just finished Shiver and absolutely loved it. I can't wait to read more by Maggie Stiefvater. I'd love to win the book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post. Very interesting with good points!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great Guest Post! :) I can't wait to read Shiver and Ballad!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great advice! I'll be on the lookout!;) Really, cute post!:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL

    Loved this post! Sounds like some great advice Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay okay okay you've convinced me I. Must. Read. This. Book!!!

    I love faeries and a book where you advise not to date faeries? Well, I'm SO curious especially since it reminds me of Buffy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved this guest post. I have only read one other book about faeries which I liked tremendously, but I think I will be adding this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great guest post - very imaginative & witty! Can't wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great guest post! I am so excited to read this book!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!