nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Friday, October 2, 2009

Review: Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater

Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie by Maggie Stiefvater
Pub. Date: October 2009
360pp
Age Range: Young Adult

In this mesmerizing sequel to Lament, music prodigy James Morgan and his best friend, Deirdre, join a private conservatory for musicians. James' musical talent attracts Nuala, a soul-snatching faerie muse who fosters and feeds on the creative energies of exceptional humans until they die. Composing beautiful music together unexpectedly leads to mutual admiration and love. Haunted by fiery visions of death, James realizes that Deirdre and Nuala are being hunted by the Fey and plunges into a soul-scorching battle with the Queen of the Fey to save their lives.
I’ve been anticipating the release of Ballad since reading Lament which received high marks from me. I can finally say that Ballad lived up to my expectations and then some. Ballad is James’s story and if you recall in Lament, he didn’t get much face time and was in the background of Dee's and Luke’s story. Well, in Ballad we get to see a different side of James. He’s charming and witty and seems to have everything going for him if you’re on the outside looking in. But, we know looks can be deceiving and we get to see James on a different level and how the events in Lament changed him. Maggie did an excellent job with the complexity of James’s character. Maggie touched me more on an emotional level with Ballad and it was heartbreakingly beautiful.

Maggie’s writing is mesmerizing and she knows how to draw readers into to her stories and bring out the emotions that the characters are feeling so that it grabs the reader’s attention and keeps readers invested in the story. Ballad is so much deeper and has a different feel to it than Lament. Maggie delivered an emotional ride with Ballad. We get to see alternating viewpoints from James and Nuala which is one of the reasons this book delivers but at the same time we still get snippets of Dee which is a major part of the story.

Maggie continues to amaze me with her books, I loved Shiver and Yes, these books are totally different in my opinion but Maggie’s writing is what stands out. Her books are like great songs with perfect melodies that will stay with you forever. Maggie is now one of my favorite authors and I look forward to reading more of her books.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

32 comments:

  1. Great Review!! I loved Shiver too. I cant wait to read this!! I just finished Lament!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have both Shiver and Lament on my TBR pile. I really need to get reading faster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got this in the mail today and I screamed! Maggie's writing is out of this world, I'm a few pages in (trying to savor it) and its already made of awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. Very good book. I didn't enjoy it as much as Lament...but it had it's charm because James is an awesome character!

    I'm running a contest for a copy on my blog and I reviewed it too. Enter by 10/08!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read Lament but I think this sounds really, really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that this book didn't disappoint you and that we will learn more from James! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Shiver and Lament. I cannot wait to get my grubby little hands on a copy of Ballad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have heard good things about this book, so glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much! Have to start reading faster and catch up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard Maggie Stiefvater's books are stunning! After I read 'Shiver' and see for myself, this is deffinitely the next book of hers I'm picking up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. After reading Shiver, I'm so excited to get to reading these too! I'm glad you enjoyed this one! Definitely getting prioritized on my TBR list!

    Natalie @ Mindful Musings

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have this book on my wish list! I'm in love with Maggie's writing and reading your review just makes me want to read Ballad even more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 5 out of 5, huh? Well, that's promising. Frankly, I would have probably read this either way, but that at least makes me think it will be worth my time. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! I've been wanting to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow you scored this one high. This is on my list. I am glad this is the type of book that draws you and in a keeps you hooked.

    Elie (Ellz Readz)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's on my to read list, but it might be awhile.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read Lament and loved it, I also really liked what I did see of James in the story so I'm super glad to see that this story lives up to Lament at least in your eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. 5 outta 5, lived up to your expectations adds up to gotta get it. lol

    Deidre

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, 5 stars! Great review! So glad to hear you loved it and I can't wait to read it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review. I liked Lament, but when a sequel has a new main character I'm always iffy because I always want to learn more about the first books character. But I will be giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review! I just read Lament and enjoyed it so I can't wait to read Ballad

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice review. I liked Lament too so can't wait to read this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the great review. I loved Shiver so can't wait to read Lament and Ballad. I'd love to win a copy. And thanks for your great blog. I love fantasy and your book reviews are so good.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great review. Thanks for taking the time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't wait to get a copy of Ballad!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ballad sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for your review! I finally got myself a copy of Shiver and can't wait to read it!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  27. This book sounds so amazing! Every review I see makes me want to read it more and more!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great review! I was wondering if it would be as good as Lament.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just read the interview which convinced me I must read this book and you giving it 5 stars just makes me more eager! :) So glad you liked it and I'm so glad it sounds incredible bc that is just my kind of book :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for this review - I just reserved Lament at our public library!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great review! I didn't realize that "Ballad" was part 2 of a series of books. I'll probably want to read "Lament" before I read "Ballad". Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This book looks so good! What a great review.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!