nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Friday, October 23, 2009

Review: Mirrorscape by Mike Wilks

Mirrorscape by Mike Wilks
Pub. Date: October 2009
Publisher: EgmontUSA
352pp
Age Range: Young Adult

Prepare to enter the Mirrorscape–a world where the bizarre is commonplace and logic makes no sense.

Melkin Womper is thrilled to escape his dull future as a village weaver and develop his artistic talent when he’s apprenticed to Ambrosius Blenk, one of Vlam’s most famous masters. Mel is especially excited by the colors that he’ll be able to use, since color is a very expensive Pleasure, strictly controlled by the sinister Fifth Mystery.

Mel can’t wait to enjoy the wonders of the grand city and begin his important work for Blenk. Instead, his dreams are quickly crushed by the reality of days filled with unimportant tasks and bullying by the other apprentices whose wealthy families have purchased their positions. Still, the promise of working under the great Blenk and studying his legendary paintings makes the misery bearable.

But when Mel and his new friends, Ludo and Wren, inadvertently stumble into a battle between the Fifth Mystery and the Rainbow Rebellion, an underground band fighting to make Pleasures affordable for all, the trio must step through Blenk’s paintings into the Mirrorscape. In this alternative world, the friends encounter monsters, mazes, talking houses, angels, and more.

Hugely original and deeply compelling, Mirrorscape is a thrilling adventure filled with the beautiful and the bizarre, the fantastical and the frightening, and entry into an incredibly visual, secret world, where the ultimate weapons are pigment, a paintbrush, and the power of imagination. 

First off, the premise of Mirrorscape is quite fascinating when you think about being able to travel to a new world through paintings. It's original concept is what grabbed my attention to read this book. The book introduces readers to Mel, a talented painter who lives in a small town where color is only available through the purchase of Pleasures (sight, taste, smell, touch and sound) which cost a hefty penny. Mel soon finds himself with a chance to fulfill his dreams of being an apprentice for the Master painter but he’s quickly tossed into danger between his apprenticeship and the corrupt Fifth Mystery who control the Pleasures. With the help of his new friends Ludo and Wren, they step into a magical world of paintings to uncover the mysteries behind these paintings.

This book quickly drew me in and I wanted to uncover the mysteries surrounding the paintings just as much as the characters. Wilks created a great cast of characters. Mel was constantly stumbling into situations. It seems there was something new and exciting to uncover at every turn. The secondary characters were entertaining especially the corrupt members of the Mystery which only added more excitement and danger to the story.

Wilks has crafted an enchanting world where anything is possible in the eye of the beholder. The imagery is Mirrorcsape is beautifully crafted and brought the book to life even more for me. Wilks did a fantastic job with the world that he’s created and I can’t wait to see what he has in store next for Mel and crew. Mirroscape is a great start to a series that will have you glued to the story down to the very last page.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

13 comments:

  1. This one sounds really interesting, especially with such a unique premise. I also think the cover is cool, I'll definitely have to add this one to the list

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! This book actually does look really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this one in the store several times and promised myself I would pick it up. it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great book, and I can't believe I hadn't heard of it before! Loved your review, and will be adding it to my wishlist. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book has such an interesting premise. It reminds me a little bit of a short story I once read about an autistic boy who could enter his paintings...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to travel, through paintings. I could imagine myself going to lots of castles. lol

    Deidre

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review. The book sounds good, I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review, I wanna read this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somehow this book reminds me of a weird mixture of Clive Barker, Dave McKean, and the movie Labyrinth. It sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book sounds really interesting! I can't believe I've never heard of it before

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book sounds very original! Now I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!