nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Review: ICE by Sarah Beth Durst

Pub. Date: October 2009
320pp
Age Range: Young Adult

When Cassie was a little girl, her grandmother told her a fairy tale about her mother, who made a deal with the Polar Bear King and was swept away to the ends of the earth. Now that Cassie is older, she knows the story was a nice way of saying her mother had died. Cassie lives with her father at an Arctic research station, is determined to become a scientist, and has no time for make-believe.

Then, on her eighteenth birthday, Cassie comes face-to-face with a polar bear who speaks to her. He tells her that her mother is alive, imprisoned at the ends of the earth. And he can bring her back — if Cassie will agree to be his bride.

That is the beginning of Cassie's own real-life fairy tale, one that sends her on an unbelievable journey across the brutal Arctic, through the Canadian boreal forest, and on the back of the North Wind to the land east of the sun and west of the moon. Before it is over, the world she knows will be swept away, and everything she holds dear will be taken from her — until she discovers the true meaning of love and family in the magical realm of Ice.

An enchanting tale of sacrifice where love knows no bounds...

This is the first novel I’ve read by Durst and I’m thrilled to say it won’t be the last. ICE snagged me in the first few pages and I ended up reading this book in one sitting. I did not want this fairy tale to end, it was that good! Cassie grew up hearing a fairy tale about her mother being swept away to the ends of the earth after making a deal with a polar bear and when she comes face-to face with said polar bear, Cassie’s world is about to be changed forever and all she has to do is agree to be his bride. I loved the setting of ICE and it just made the story more magical.

Cassie is one strong cookie! She’s the type of heroine I love to read about. When you hear quotes about traveling to the ends of earth for love, well Cassie finds out exactly what it means to sacrifice for love. The journey she embarks on is dangerously long and has unexpected turns as she tries to accomplish the impossible. Durst created some amazing characters and even the different places that Cassie had to travel were unique and so enjoyable to be immersed into.

Durst wove a beautiful and magical story with great characters and a perfect setting which readers will be sure to love. So get ready for an astonishing journey that reaches to the ends of the earth that will have you begging for more. Of course I would love if there was a follow up, I believe Durst could work more magic with these characters. I look forward to reading more of Durst’s books.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

29 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked this book! I've heard nothing but good reviews for it. I might just have to go get myself a copy soon! Thanks for the review!


    Natalie @ Mindful Musings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for my copy to arrive from Amazon! Great review, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds so good! Geesh, my TBR pile just keeps growing and growing! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! 5 out of 5 stars!
    With every review I read I am wanting to read this book moe and more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds full of adventure and fantasy. Great review. I am going to add it to my list. 5 of 5, wow

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to add this to my wishlist. Thanks for the review ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really looking forward to this book! I've recently read East by Edith Pattou, which is based on the same fairy tale, it was very good. I can't wait to see what Durst has done with this tale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so good! I love fairy tale retellings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to read this book! Thanks for the great review, I'll definitely have to pick out my copy now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a strong heroine! Can't wait for this book :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wasn't sure if I would like this, but your review makes me want to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your review makes me want to read this! It sounds so magical. I'm adding it to my wish list

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! I really wnat to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds silly, but everyone just keeps writing that she has to marry a polar bear... which weirded me out, but now that I know that it isn't really a polar bear... I'm intrigued! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I havent read any of Sarah's books and I really want to read this one as it is a fairytale retelling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cover on this book looks really good and I really look forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There have only been two other times when I read about polar bears in a novel. Both times it involved young women. What do polar bears symbolize?

    ReplyDelete
  18. ahhh you just made me more excited to read this one! it's already on my tb soon bought list lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've read another book about this fairy tale - and I have one on my TBR pile. Didn't realize there was another another one out there. Ice sounds wonderful :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review! I am glad you enjoyed it and I can't wait to read it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review! i just love fairy tale stories.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wasn't sure if I would like the idea of this story but I loved your review and have heard all good things about it. I really look forward to reading it now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great review! I'll read anything where characters go to the ends of the earth. I also have a love for girls who love polar bears.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the review - it made me want to read this book even more! I love to read fantasy & fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! This book sounds incredible! I love re-told fairy tales, so I really want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!