nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Author Interview: Laurie Faria Stolarz

I'm thrilled to present a talented and amazing person today. I want to thank Laurie Stolarz for taking some time out to answer questions about her novels.

Laurie Faria Stolarz grew up in Salem, MA, attended Merrimack College, and received an MFA in Creative Writing from Emerson College in Boston. Some of Stolarz's other novels include, Blue is for Nightmare Series, Project 17, and Bleed. Deadly Little Secrets, the second book in the Touch Series is in stores today.

What was your inspiration behind the Touch Series?
I wanted to write a story where the main character has to struggle with the idea of falling in love with someone who could potentially kill her (and who’s already allegedly killed someone in the past). I also wanted to continue experimenting with the supernatural – showing how we all have our own inner senses and intuition, and how with work we can tap into those things and make them stronger. I worked on these concepts in my BLUE IS FOR NIGHTMARES series, and I wanted to continue, but with new characters, plots, and challenges.


How do you conceive your plot ideas?
I get inspiration from all over. I check out the headlines, watch a lot of reality TV (probably more than I should), read teen magazines, eavesdrop in coffee shops, you name it. I start out with a plot idea that’s different in some way – something I can get really excited about. I’ll play the plot out like a movie in my mind, coming up with a character and his or her motivation. I tend to see my ideas as movies before I start writing. I’ll also map out the entire plot on paper before I start to draft.

You have written several novels, how do you keep your plots fresh? I try to keep my writing fresh by keeping it interesting for me. So, even though I write in the same genre, I try to constantly challenge myself by coming up with new ideas or new ways to build suspense. If I feel like something isn’t fresh in some way, I’ll scrap it, even if it can feasibly work. I’m really excited about both DEADLY LITTLE LIES and DEADLY LITTLE GAME. There are some really big twists in both of those books that I got really into writing.

How many books can we expect in the Touch Series\Blue is for Nightmare Series?
So far there are five books planned for the TOUCH Series. BLACK IS FOR BEGINNINGS will be the fifth book in the BLUE IS FOR NIGHTMARE series.

What do you consider your best accomplishment?
Probably BLEED. It was such a challenge to get into the minds of all of those characters. I rewrote those stories more than any other work I’ve done. I must have rewritten Derik’s story at least 40 times trying to get the voice just right, and the motivation to come through. Also, because BLEED takes place over the course of a single day, I wanted each character to have the ability to learn something, and have that lesson be achievable/believable in such a short period of time.

What other projects are you working on?
I’m currently working on DEADLY LITTLE GAME, the third book in the TOUCH Series. I’m also writing the third book in the AMANDA PROJECT.

Is there any additional information that you would like to add?
I’m launching the release with a really exciting contest, the winner of which could have a minor character in DEADLY LITTLE GAME, the third book in the TOUCH series, named after him or her. Be sure to check out all the details on my website: www.lauriestolarz.com/news.html.


Thanks Laurie!

For more information about Laurie Stolarz and her books, please visit her website here.

23 comments:

  1. Great interview! I haven't read any of Laurie's recent books, I read her early books...the Blue is for Nightmares and its sequels! They were fabulous. May need to look into some of these newer ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the interview! I can't believe how many books she juggles at once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read her early books...the Blue is for Nightmares and its sequels!

    Lingerie Affection

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Laurie is a fabulous writer. Thanks for the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed the interview. It was especially great to find out about upcoming books. Glad to hear she is working on a third book for the Touch series. I enjoyed the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that you eavesdrop in coffee shops! I'm not alone...but I'm not really using mine for writing. haha

    Can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to read more of Laurie's books, like Bleed and Project 17 (that one sounds super creepy!). The Deadly Little Lies series sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A new author to me.I'll have to check her books out. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Blue is for Nightmares series and this new series sounds great too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice interview. I better start reading the Touch series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have Deadly Little Secret and look forward to reading it.

    Valorie
    morbidromantic@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview! I especially enjoyed reading the author's inspiration for writing the Touch Series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. awesome interview - and from the way she talks about her inspiration for this book, I think I'm going to love the book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview! I haven't heard of Stolarz, but her books sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been wanting to try the Touch series though all of these sound interesting. I'll have to go check that contest out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover... but I love the book covers for the Touch series! And after reading about the inspiration behind it... I'm definitely going to start reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great interview! I loved the Blue is for Nightmare series and look forward to reading the Touch series!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great interview. You asked some very interesting questions that readers would like to have answered.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great interview! I think that your Touch series sounds very interesting and I have the first book in my to be read pile.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. I'm impressed. I actually haven't started the series yet. I saw your books on here and I picked up Deadly Little Secret yesterday. I can't wait to start it. I'm saving it for a distraction during family time with my in-laws starting at 4pm today. I'm really looking forward to it. By everything I've read and heard its fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have seen her books all over now i really want to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Świetnie jest ten artykuł. Mam nadzieję, że będzie ich więcej.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!