nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Sunday, November 15, 2009

In My Mailbox (27)

For Review (The Mark & Deadtown - you can visit the author's site to see the final version of the book covers)

The Mark (ARC) by Jen Nadol
Pub. Date: January 19, 2010
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Format: Hardcover, 240pp

Synopsis
Cassandra Renfield has always seen the mark—a glow around certain people reminiscent of candlelight. But the one time she mentioned it, it was dismissed as a trick of the light. Until the day she watches a man awash in the mark die. After searching her memories, Cassie realizes she can see a person’s imminent death. Not how or where, only when: today.

Armed with a vague understanding of the light, Cassie begins to explore her “gift,” seeking those marked for death and probing the line between decision and destiny. Though she’s careful to hide her secret—even from her new philosophy-obsessed boyfriend—with each impending death comes the temptation to test fate. But so many questions remain. How does the mark work? Why is she the only one who sees it? And finally, the most important of all: If you know today is someone’s last, should you tell them?

Deadtown (ARC) by Nancy Holzner
Pub. Date: December 29, 2009
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Format: Paperback, 336pp

Synopsis
First in a brand new urban fantasy series that's "fresh and funny, with a great new take on zombies" (Karen Chance) and "full of dangerous magic and populated with characters so realistic, they almost jump off the page" (Ilona Andrews).

If you were undead, you'd be home by now...

They call it Deadtown: the city's quarantined section for its inhuman and undead residents. Most humans stay far from its borders-but Victory Vaughn, Boston's only professional demon slayer, isn't exactly human.

Bought

Bleed by Laurie Stolarz
Pub. Date: April 2008
Publisher: Hyperion Books for Children
Format: Paperback, 240pp
Age Range: Young Adult

Synopsis
Over the course of a single summer day, ten teenagers in Salem, Massachusetts, will discover important truths about themselves and each other.

There is Nicole, whose decision to betray her best friend will shock everyone, most of all herself; Kelly, who meets the convicted felon she has been writing to for years; Maria, whose definition of a true friend is someone who will cut her. Then there is Sadie, a chubby eleven-year-old whose mother forces her to wear a "please don't feed me" sign stapled to her shirt; while Joy, a fifteen-year-old waitress hoping for true intimacy narrowly escapes a very dark fate. Derik discovers that his usual good looks and charm won't help him hold onto the girl he wants, while nineteen-year-old drifter, Mearl, is desperately looking for a place to call home. Sean is torn between his loyalty to his girlfriend and the possibility of finding something more with her friend, while Ginger's single-minded pursuit to bring down her nemesis only proves that they may be more alike than she thought.

Seamlessly woven together, this incredibly powerful and compelling collection of stories chronicles the very real trials of today's teen experience.

I'm got t-shirts for my New Moon Party - What do you think?
Believe me, I would love to wear them all but only one belongs to me - I'll let you guess which one...



In My Mailbox was created by Kristi @ The Story Siren and inspired by Alea @ Pop Culture Junkie

10 comments:

  1. Great books you got this week. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh The Mark!! Lucky you! =D Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those t-shirts!
    Bleed sounds a little scary so I'll have to read your review before I make my mind up on that. The Mark sounds amazing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous you got The Mark. It sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Bleed sitting on my shelf as well. I love that author's work. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool books. The mark is on my list to read, and the other too I'm not sure about - but I love their simple covers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love the T-Shirts. The Mark sounds really good too. Happy reading and wearing!!!
    Chioma

    ReplyDelete
  8. is this a contest? haha....just joking... i think that one on the right wif the "bite me" is yours....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome book, enjoy! And, lol, adorable T-shirts. Love the first one in particular; it's so hard to decide. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!