nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Friday, November 27, 2009

Interview: Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

I'm thrilled to welcome authors Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl to my blog. They stopped by to talk about their current novel, Beautiful Creatures, which is in stores now.

Please welcome these talented ladies!

FBR: How did you decide on writing a book together? What was the process like?
M: We were already so many things to each other: friends, critique partners, therapists…becoming writing partners just seemed like the logical next step.
When we stumbled across a story we wanted to write together, in a place we wanted to write it, everything sort of fell into place.
K: Writing together was surprisingly easy. We have very similar writing voices, and, more importantly, we had the same vision for the story and the characters. Neither of us has any ego, so that helps. We both have the power of veto.

FBR: Writers will often describe a reading experience that made them want to put the book down and go start writing immediately. What authors have inspired you in that way?
M: Harper Lee. Susan Cooper. Diana Wynne Jones. Kristin Cashore. Robin McKinley.
K: Southern Writers: Harper Lee, Flannery O’Connor, Anne Rice. YA Authors: S.E. Hinton, Clive Barker, Holly Black, Phillip Pullman, Cassandra Clare.

FBR: What comes to mind when you hear the words "the perfect story"?
M: To Kill A Mockingbird.
K: To Kill a Mockingbird for sure, Fahrenheit 451 & Lord of the Flies.

FBR: What’s the best compliment you’ve received about your book?
M: When it made my sixteen-year-old cry. When Amazon named it the top 5 book of 2009. When Sarah Burnes said she’d sell it. When Jen Hunt said she’d buy it.
K: Margie covered some of the big ones. Making the Indie Next List for Fall/Winter 09 was huge. But it always hits home for me when readers tell me BC made them cry, or they are reading it for the second time.

FBR: Tell us something that we might be surprised to learn about you.
M: I’m scared of everything and Kami is scared of nothing.
K: I wish. My fears are just more insane: earthquakes, snakes, flying, horror movies. So basically, my worst fear would be – snakes on a plane, while the in-flight movie, the Exorcist, is playing in the background, and an earthquake hits as we land.

FBR: What other projects are you currently working on? What can we expect in the future?
M: We just wrapped the sequel to Beautiful Creatures and will be fussing with that for the next few months, while we head out to our BC Southern Tour in January. Stay tuned for details, if you live in the South!
K: We’re always thinking about the world of Beautiful Creatures. At this point, the characters have their own stories to tell, and they are hard to ignore!

You can keep up with Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl at http://www.beautifulcreaturesthebook.com/.

Visit Little, Brown’s Beautiful Creatures website at http://www.somelovesarecursed.com/.

Thanks Kami and Margaret!

43 comments:

  1. Great interview:)
    I like the part where both authors say its a great compliment to know someone cried from their book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sort of love these ladies. Great interview with them. BC is such an incredible book and I wish them both massive amounts of success because they are completely deserving of it.

    I have to say that I was one of those people who cried while reading the book. I also laughed a lot and there were moments when my jaw was hanging open. It was a fantastic read.

    I love all the references to To Kill a Mockingbird because it is my favorite book and to know that I share a passion for it with both Kami and Margie is awesome.

    :D Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic interview! I really enjoyed it. I have yet to read this book, but it's at the very top of my list right now of what I want to read the most.

    They are so funny! I loved the question about what their fears are and Kami said: "Snakes on a plane, while the in-flight movie, the Exorcist, is playing in the background, and an earthquake hits as we land." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome interview! They sound like such cool people. I can't think of many people with whom I would be capable of writing a book.
    And I totally love all of the authors that inspire them!!

    I haven't even read Beautiful Creatures, and I'm already excited to hear that there's going to be a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! This is a book I've been dying to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoyed the interview. Loved Kami sharing her worst fear! Have this one on my wishlist, but haven't gotten to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! I like their 'greatest fears' answers, and also their responses as to what the best experiences about their novel have been. I was excited to read Beautiful Creatures, but now even moreso. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's going to be a sequel?!? Oh goodness! I'm almost at the halfway mark in Beautiful Creatures and am loving it! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wondered if writing with two authors would be easier than just one since they are constantly bouncing new ideas off one another. I've heard nothing but good things about their book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a funny and interesting interview! I can't even describe it x)

    Super good job, Fantastic Book Read!



    Veronica :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview! This makes the book sound so much better just reading what the author has to think about everything (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Interview.Its nice how touched they were to find out their book touches people in such an emotional way.I have got to get this book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview.I look forward to reading this book

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome interview. I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved how Margaret Stohl's daughter cried. It's been awhile since I cried for a book. Maybe this one shall break the streak. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This book sounds really good and different thats one of the reasons I cant wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Can't WAIT to read this book :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really great interview. Kami and Margaret just seem like really nice and cool people. And its great to see how big this book has gotten.

    ReplyDelete
  19. great interview It seem that they work really well together I cant wait to see other projects that they have They make a great team !!!

    DeniseMadness

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great interview. I am happy that her book is such a good seller on amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. great interview! I can't wait to read this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome interview! I can't wait to read this book, but I'm not allowed to buy anything until after Christmas. Especially books because I buy too many.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have not read the book, would like to. I enjoyed the interview immensely and it is nice to see a joyful collaboration turn into something that sounds like a wonderful emotional reading experience. Looking forward to more from these 2....




    Jackie B Central Texas

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great interview. Excellent questions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These 2 always do a great interview. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I absolutely loved reading this interview! I think that these two would be so neat to sit across from and talk to. They sound like such genuine friends that I can't wait to read what they crafted together!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great interview! I really want to read Beautiful Creatures now!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great interview!
    I'm really excited to read BC! :)

    Briana

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great interview! I read it twice!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a fascinating interview. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow, they sound so cool, their really down to earth women, who are creative, and funny. im so excited to read their book soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These ladies certainly seem like they compliement each other very well. I love the part where they discuss their fears.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great interview. I just found out about this book and I'm going to put it on my books to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  34. That's so sweet that Margaret said her best compliment was when her 16yr old cried ... aaah.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great Interview! This book is on to top spot of my list of books to buy and read!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great interview. I haven't read the book it but its definitely on my Christmas list this year!

    ReplyDelete
  37. great interview! this books is #1 on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great interview and I am really looking forward to reading this.

    To Kill a Mockingbird is absolutely one of my favorites and I try to convince my fifteen year old of the amazingness (yes, this is probably not a real word) of it, but at this point he is not buying it.

    Good luck and congrats on your success with Beautiful Creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow....that was a really good interview. I have not read this book yet, but I will! Even though I haven't read it yet, I am glad to hear that there will be a sequel. I am looking forward to reading Beautiful Creatures. It sounds like something both my daughter and myself will really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Well at least she doesnt have to worry about all her worst fears come to life at once any time soon.
    Cute interview

    ReplyDelete
  41. I loved the interview and am with Margaret about snakes.



    ainfinger@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  42. Kami and Margaret sounds really cool I can't wait to read the next book and I'm totally with Margaret with the snake fear

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!