nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Review: Deadtown by Nancy Holzner

Deadtown by Nancy Holzner
Pub. Date: December 2009
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Format: Mass Market Paperback, 336pp

First in a brand new urban fantasy series that's "fresh and funny, with a great new take on zombies" (Karen Chance) and "full of dangerous magic and populated with characters so realistic, they almost jump off the page" (Ilona Andrews).
If you were undead, you'd be home by now...

They call it Deadtown: the city's quarantined section for its inhuman and undead residents. Most humans stay far from its borders-but Victory Vaughn, Boston's only professional demon slayer, isn't exactly human.

Deadtown is full of non-stop action with a heroine who rivals the likes of Buffy when it comes to demon slaying…

Holzner did a fantastic job with the characters in Deadtown. Vicky Vaughn is a shape-shifter and she’s in high demand when it comes to protecting the city from all sorts of danger. In a town where your worst nightmares constantly torment you, Vicky’s the only exterminator that can get the job done. Vicky is a very likable character and even though she seems as tough as nails she also shows us a vulnerable side. Vicky’s love life is pretty much nonexistent with werewolf lawyer Alexander Kane who’s just as busy. In steps Daniel Costello, a homicide detective investigating the death of one of Vicky’s former clients and you have a possible love triangle.

Deadtown is a welcomed addition to the urban fantasy genre. Holzner has created an exciting world where paranormals have their own town away from the biases of human politics. With vampires, werewolves, zombies, and demons combined into one setting, I couldn’t help but be intrigued by this book. And if Vicky’s job with a demon plagued client seemed easy, Hell is about to break loose when the Hellion who murdered her father shows up promising to end her and the city. Then tack on a research facility’s interest in Vicky’s abilities that could lead to dire consequences and Deadtown’s becomes a nonstop page turner.

Holzner’s fantastic world building of Deadtown and nonstop action had me flipping the pages with anticipation. I can’t wait to see what Holzner pulls out from under her sleeves next.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

20 comments:

  1. Great review, I'll watch for this book now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review, I enjoyed this book as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, I love me a good urban fantasy. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review.I'm looking forward to reading it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alien meets Resident Evil, cannot wait for this book to come to my stores near me to buy...

    Thanks for the review, have read many now and yours said the good things everyone seems to think .....


    Jackie B Central Texas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a crazy but interesting mix of paranormals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh i love a kick-butt heroine and that's exactly what this looks like :D adding this to my "to read" list :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I've heard so much about this one... can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really excited about this book.

    I always love a girl that can kick some butt!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! I can't wait to read this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed your review and have added this book to my wishlist! Sounds like a great story, and I love the twist of having her be a shapeshifter as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review. I love books with a lot of action. Can't wait to get this one.

    lizzi0915 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deadtown sounds like a refreshing change from the typical vampire/werewolf story. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds really neat! Love the Buffy comparison :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for the infomative review. I am so looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really want to read it. Sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been wanting this book for a while now, but reading your book made me want it more. Hopefully I can get it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG!!! What an opener... "Deadtown is full of non-stop action with a heroine who rivals the likes of Buffy when it comes to demon slaying"
    This makes me want to read the book even more so them 5 minutes ago!!
    I think that may be the best opening to a review I've read in a while!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful Review!:) I've been meaning to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. f you haven’t ready Deadtown, I strongly recommend it, especially if you like a different take on zombies, shapeshifters, and zombies.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!