nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Monday, December 28, 2009

Review: Tangled by Carolyn Mackler

Tangled by Carolyn Mackler
Pub. Date: December 29, 2009
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Format: Hardcover, 320pp
Age Range: 12 and up

Paradise wasn't supposed to suck.

Not the state of being, but a resort in the Caribbean.

Jena, Dakota, Skye, and Owen are all there for different reasons, but at Paradise their lives become tangled together in ways none of them can predict. Paradise will change them all.

It will change Jena, whose first brush with romance takes her that much closer to having a life and not just reading about those infinitely cooler and more exciting.

It will change Dakota, who needs the devastating truth about his past to make him realize that he doesn't have to be a jerk just because people think he's one.

It will change Skye, a heartbreakingly beautiful actress, who must come to terms with the fact that for once she has to stop playing a role or face the consequences.

And it will change Owen, who has never risked anything before and who will take the leap from his online life to a real one all because of a girl he met at Paradise. . . .

From confused to confident and back again, one thing's certain: Four months after it all begins, none of them will ever be the same.

Tangled takes readers on a crash course of how lives can change drastically by chance meetings where four teens on vacation in Paradise will get much needed wake up calls. Tangled is told over the course of four months in different points of views. This is the first book I’ve read by Carolyn Mackler and I love the premise of how the impact of events in Paradise changes the course of the characters lives.

Tangled starts off with Jena’s story where it all begins in Paradise. Jena lives her life through others whether it’s through quotes or discarded notes. She finally has to decide once and for all if she’ll constantly live vicarious through others or take action and start her own life. Dakota has to accept that some things in the past can’t be changed and move on to define himself from this moment forth. Skye has to learn how to stop living as a character that people see her as on the surface which could have dangerous consequences and finally admit that she needs help. Owen has to step out of the techno land that’s become his online life and take a chance by living in the real world.

The characters in Tangled are complex and through their baggage and insecurities, readers will be sure to turn the pages to see how the characters will fare in their journey to change their paths. Mackler’s writing style stays true to the characters voices and kept me engaged throughout and I ended up reading this book in one sitting. I will be sure to read more of Mackler’s books in the future.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

29 comments:

  1. I've been dying to read this book! I've read Mackler's past books and have loved them.

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this. I love split point of view books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds really good. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad the book was good - it definitely seems interesting. I agree - I love multiple POV books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so awesome. I want to read it badly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. is it ok for a twelve year old to read it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re: Anon - The age range for this book is 12 and up although there is mention of sex.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds interesting and I just love this cover! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read the first 20-30 pages online and I loved it. I'm glad the story stays up to par. I can't wait to read the rest =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds complicated in a good way. Hopefully one that makes you think about choices you make in your life and how they affect the future and others. Love those!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been waiting to read this, and have not picked it up yet - but man your review has me salivating even more to pick it up - it looks awesome and LOVE the cover - EAK!!! Thank you for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds really good. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the second good review I've read now. It sounds like an interesting concept for a book. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the cover for Tangled! It's what first caught my attention. I can't wait to read it, especially because of the different perspectives. Some of my favorite books are from more than one person and those make you see things differently and I LOVE that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds really cool. I love the cover real much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This defiantly looks like a must read. I love me some drama, and this looks to have more than enough. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review. It sounds really good and I like how there are so many character voices in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've heard really great things about this book and the cover is gorgeous, simple but very affective.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds really good! I'm glad you reviewed this because I haven't seen any reviews on this yet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes I'm intrigued and would love to read this. Another one to add to my list. polo-puppy-fluffy AT hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  21. The cover is intriguing. I'd love to read this.

    lkish77123 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This one looks soooo good! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the cover design. The summary's rather intriguing, and thanks to your review, I'd actually like to really read it now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the review. This looks like a good book with some great characters. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the review, I've been wanting to read this one

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!