nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Review: All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab

All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab
Pub. Date: January 12, 2010
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Format: Hardcover, 352pp
Age Range: Young Adult
Carly: She was sweet. Smart. Self-destructive. She knew the secrets of Brighton Day School’s most privileged students. Secrets that got her killed.

Neily: Dumped by Carly for a notorious bad boy, Neily didn’t answer the phone call she made before she died. If he had, maybe he could have helped her. Now he can’t get the image of her lifeless body out of his mind.

Audrey: She’s the reason Carly got tangled up with Brighton’s fast crowd in the first place, and now she regrets it—especially since she’s convinced the police have put the wrong person in jail. Audrey thinks the murderer is someone at Brighton, and she wants Neily to help her find out who it is.

As reluctant allies Neily and Audrey dig into their shared past with Carly, her involvement with Brighton’s dark goings-on comes to light. But figuring out how Carly and her killer fit into the twisted drama will force Audrey and Neily to face hard truths about themselves and the girl they couldn’t save.

Riveting in her story telling, Jarzab captures the essence of love and loss and how one life shattering event can have profound effect on loved ones…

I’m a big fan of paranormal/fantasy books and All Unquiet Things is one of those books that reintroduced me to a stunning contemporary novel written beautifully. It’s writing like this that makes me want to venture outside of my favorite genre. I don’t think I could say anything else that best describes how amazing this book is.

Told in alternating viewpoints from Neily and Audrey, Jarzab captured the voices of each character perfectly. The emotions behind each character had me empathizing with the turmoil surrounding Carly’s death and how her down spiral continued to have everlasting effects on Neily and Audrey. I was quite shocked at how quickly Carly’s life took a turn for the worst.

The writing is spectacular its complexity of the characters and the overall flow of the book. Jarzab weaved a compelling story around love, friendship, loss, and mystery. With how each clue unfolded to give us glimpses of Carly’s on-goings, I was left stunned. The pages couldn’t turn fast enough for me. I would recommend this book to everyone. I look forward to reading more of Jarzarb’s books.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

32 comments:

  1. yay! There's an Audrey in the book, like me!
    I think it's amazing when a book jumps out and surprises you. . .you end up loving it even though it is so different from the usual type of book you read.
    Sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ordered this one a few days ago. Can't wait to read it!

    Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I can't wait to read this, it feels like I've been waiting for it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree with your review! I definitely can't wait for whatever Anna comes up with next!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to read this book. It sounds so great. Nice review ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. It sounds like a very good book, one I would be very interested in reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds awesome! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't sure I wanted to tackle this book because of the subject matter, but your review has made me think twice about it.
    Thanks,
    Margay

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoy alternating points of view. I think it works well in YA :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read so many great reviews for this book. I need to get my hands on it. I think it sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to read this book like now! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow such an awesome review. I was rather indifferent to this book but your review makes me really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like such a fantastic book! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too am mostly a reader of paranormal/fantasy books, so I when I come across a book that makes me want to go outside of that genre its a wonderful thing. I'm definitely going to have to check it out now. Great Review!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book looks so good! I can't wait to read it!
    amandarwest at gmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  16. This book sounds phenomenal! A little spooky perhaps, but I can't wait to read it!!! Great review :)

    Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooo I cannot wait to read this book, your review totally got me excited again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome review - this book sounds like its right up my alley - I hope to get my hands on it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds good especially with Neily and Aurdrey solving the mystery of Carly's death.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you liked it! I have heard so many great things about this book.
    Can't wait to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fantastic review! I am so looking
    forward to reading this book, now more
    than ever with your review!
    Thank you.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great review. I had never heard of this book, thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Huh, the alternating perspectives and the murder plotline sounds intriguing. Will keep an eye out on this one. =D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great Review, This Book Sounds Like A Must Have. I Love A Good Who-Done-It Mystery And This Sounds Like It Could Be A Very Good One.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Think I like the cover the most about this book. Can't wait to read it

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is the first time I read about All Unquiet Things, and it sounds intriguing. Would love to read it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks like a book I wouldn't be able to put down once I started.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the review - I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  30. "All Unquiet Things" is well written & bit heavier than most of the YA I have read, but I finished the book in 3 days. It kept me interested & was a fast read. The murder mystery keeps the plot going, but "All Unquiet Things" is much more-- a story of grief, acceptance, & self-discovery.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!