nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Review: Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
Pub. Date: January 2010
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Format: Hardcover, 448pp
Age Range: Young Adult
A thrilling, high-concept fantasy for fans of Garth Nix and Nancy Farmer.

Incarceron is a prison so vast that it contains not only cells, but also metal forests, dilapidated cities, and vast wilderness. Finn, a seventeen-year-old prisoner, has no memory of his childhood and is sure that he came from Outside Incarceron. Very few prisoners believe that there is an Outside, however, which makes escape seems impossible.

And then Finn finds a crystal key that allows him to communicate with a girl named Claudia. She claims to live Outside- she is the daughter of the Warden of Incarceron, and doomed to an arranged marriage. Finn is determined to escape the prison, and Claudia believes she can help him. But they don't realize that there is more to Incarceron than meets the eye. Escape will take their greatest courage and cost more than they know.

Fisher pulled me into the novel from the beginning. I found myself fascinated by the world of Incarceron whether it was Inside or Outside of the prison. The originality of this book kept me turning the pages, engrossed by the mysteries surrounding Incarceron. With treachery around every corner in Incarceron, you never know what will happen next.

The characters in Incarceron are outstanding. Finn was an intriguing character, stuck in a prison with no memory of how he arrived at Incarceron. Having to risk his life for spoils and riches under a nefarious Winglord, Finn did what he had to do to survive. I found myself sympathizing with how distraught he was over the Comitatus’s cruelty and infighting and his quest to escape Incarceron and find the answers of how he came to be a prisoner. Claudia is the Warden’s daughter and she’s a smart and fearless heroine. She’d do anything to get out of her arranged marriage no matter the costs. The secondary characters are quite interesting too. Fisher did a phenomenal job in pulling me into her world with a great cast of characters and the mysteries surrounding Incarceron.

The writing is impeccable. The plot is fast-paced and it kept me glued to the story down to the very last page. This is one of those books that I will be highly anticipating the sequel. Fisher has acquired a new fan. Readers of fantasy, be prepared to be a prisoner of Incarceron for it surely will keep you locked into its pages in the wee hours of the night.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


Check out the book trailer!

13 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know you like it. Great review!! I'm looking forward to reading this in the future!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review. I already have this book on my list to read. Now I want to read it more. Lately, you've been blogging about all the books I want to read. Thanks so much. I love your author interviews too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First review read on this book and was wondering what was going on in it, thanks for the excellently crafted window into the Incarceron worlds Tina. I have now moved this book from Wishing to Buying in the future, love this especially "Readers of fantasy, be prepared to be a prisoner of Incarceron for it surely will keep you locked into its pages in the wee hours of the night." That is my kind of reading experience!!!

    jackie b central texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked this one up LAST NIGHT - WOOT I am even more excited to read it after your review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been waiting for the reviews of this one to start popping up. It's been on my wishlist for a while and I wanted to know if it was really as good as it sounded. Glad to know that it is! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review!

    It looks like a fab book. I am surprised at how thick it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been seeing a lot of rave reviews about this book. Makes me excited. Thanks for the review, as always. :]

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really looking forward to reading and reviewing this one for my blog.

    I gave you a shoutout on my blog today.

    http://debsbookbag.blogspot.com/2010/01/giveaway-saturday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! Incarceron sounds incredible :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, that would be HORRIBLE to be stuck in prison with no memory! Thanks for the great review! I've got to read this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the cover to this book, so of course I'm drawn to it. Great to hear that the story is good. I like the concept of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the awesome review!! I'll have to pick this one up :D

    For all your readers that also write YA here is a contest for you.

    <http://kidlit.com/kidlit-contest

    ReplyDelete
  13. Guess I'll have to pick this one up! Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!