nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
Pub. Date: February 2010
Publisher: Harlequin
Format: Paperback, 368pp
Age Range: Young Adult

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.


Poor Meghan shipped off to the backwoods of a small town after her father disappeared. She’s not the most popular girl at school but when she’s with her best friend Robbie, the laughs come out. I don’t know how many times I laughed throughout this book. Kagawa’s writing has plenty of humorous dialogue that will have you eating up the pages for more hilarious moments with Meghan and Robbie.

With danger at every turn, The Iron King had me anticipating every heart pounding moment. I loved the twist with the characters from A Midsummer Night's Dream. The faeries were frightening and I couldn’t help but root for Meghan along the way in her journey to get her brother back. The Iron King had so many fantastic characters and among my favorites besides Meghan and Robbie was Grimalkin. Julie managed to capture the essence of what a cat would be like then tacked on spunk and wit to create this awesome character.

The Iron King is a great start to an exciting series with a great cast of characters, romance, and a fast-paced plot with a whirlwind of danger and intrigue that will keep you turning the pages right down to the very last one. I couldn’t get enough of The Iron King and I can’t wait until the sequel, The Iron Daughter hit shelves in August 2010. Readers of all ages will get a kick out of Nevernever land, an exciting and dangerously intoxicating world of faeries.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

37 comments:

  1. Great review. My copy just came today and I can't wait to jump in@

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I hear about this, the more I want to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah! Everyone says awesome things about this book! I must look into it... Great review, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I really want to read this! It sounds fantastic. I'm glad you liked it and that it was funny and witty. I'll have to check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing review! I just bought this book and can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review is great and has made me want to read this book even more than I already did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in the middle of this book and I am loving it! Chapter 3 was is my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I finished this yesterday and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review.I have been seeing htis book around a lot,I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! 5 Star rating must be one that had you on the edge of your seat. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so excited about this book! Everything I've read about it says that it fully lives up to its potential. Scary fairies and great protagonists? YES!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea it was the beginning of a series, now I am even more excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds fantastic! I'm looking forward to reading this one. Thanks for your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sensational review! Off to go snag a copy...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Somehow I didn't previously realize there was a connection to a Midsummer Night's Dream. Now I totally have to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Danger, comedy & Fairies??? Seriously, how much better can it get than that. I am really excited to see that this is a sseries too! :]

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay you had me at funny best friend Robby. Definately hoping I win this one-sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been wanting to read this one ever since I saw the cover for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've seen this cover around the blogosphere, but I have to admit I wasn't really interested in it. Then I read your review, and the excerpt and now I'm interested.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I get the feeling from your review that there's a lot of action and excitement in this novel - and I LIKE that. Often I'm left wondering 'what happened?' in a book - but I don't think that would be a problem with this one. AND, it has a gorgeous cover! Can't wait to read it!

    p.s. As always, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The cover alone would have me picking up this book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great review. I am looking forward to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that it has humor and the drama! This sounds like a great book! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great review! It's on my TBR pile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Neeeedd this book. Seriously, I think every review I've read gave it 5 stars!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hmm this caught my attention. Can't wait for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds cool, especially the dark Midsummer's night dream part!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I want to read this soooo badly! It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Its definitely on my TBR pile. And what is this that I keep hearing about a cat named Grim? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  31. This must be really good! Thanks for the reivew!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your review has made me want to read this book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Romance, danger, and intrigue! Sign me up. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I knew I wanted to read this book before I read your review... the cover grabbed me immediately & once I heard mention of mischievous fairies, I was hooked. But your review makes the book sound so very fun, especially since you mentioned Midsummer's Night Dream. That's the world of the fairy that I love! And a cat (that I'm assuming talks)... yes, please! Great review. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  35. 5 out of 5! I must, i must start this series immediately!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!