nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Review: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
Pub. Date: March 02, 2010
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Format: Hardcover, 480pp
Age Range: Young Adult

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: the world’s most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High, from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12 should be just another day in her charmed life.

Instead, it turns out to be her last. Fortunately, she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

Lauren Oliver pulled me into Before I Fall from page one and left me speechless by the end. I could not put it down! Reading from Samantha’s viewpoint had me reflecting back on my days in high school and I found myself wondering if I would want to change or do anything differently. Of course I would. Samantha’s clique was amongst the popular crowd and there were times I thought they were just plain mean but then again I can’t believe I’m saying this – It happens everywhere. Someone is always getting laughed at or made to be the butt of a joke. I know it doesn’t make it right but I could totally relate to Samantha. This is one of the reasons I fell in love with Before I Fall. I lived through Samantha’s eyes and couldn’t help but empathize with her the whole time.

Lauren took me on a rollercoaster of emotional rides throughout her narrative. There were times when I found myself upset, laughing, and crying while reading this book. The characters in this book are beyond realistic. There were times when Samantha would mention someone and it would remind me of people I knew high school with some of the same characteristics.

I realized as I’m writing this review that I can’t write about all the amazing things that I love about Before I Fall. Lauren’s writing is awe-inspiring. I loved this book from beginning to end. This is a novel that I will have no problems recommending to others. Before I Fall is a beautifully written page turner with lively characters who draw you into the deepest depth of their lives then forces you to take notice - you’ll find yourself not wanting to come up for air.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

38 comments:

  1. Wow, this book sounds absolutly amazing. The plot line sounds so unique and I love that she relives her last day over and over again--truly great! Wonderful review and I am looking forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must agree with your review...it definitely is unique in nature and emotional...not to mention an accurate mirror of what transpires sometimes. My own review won't be live til next week, but I always enjoy seeing what others think of the same title. Thanks for sharing....and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This books sounds really, really good and the plot summary is something to read about. I'm in high school at the moment and I see this happening all the time, everyday actually. I'm hoping to read this book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! Hehe, yeah, I remember how this book left me speechless too when I read it a few months ago and it's still fresh on my mind. What an amazing book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review! This book sounds really great. I'm really excited to read this one, now even more with your wonderful review. Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this book, I received it this week. I look forward to reading it now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good review of the book. I'd hate to go back to high school too. Kids are mean, mean, mean!

    Thanks,
    Kelsey
    krae991@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just watched Groundhog Day so this sounds very interesting.

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a glowing review (and more in the comments)! I'll definitely have to check this book out. It sounds interesting. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book looks amazing! I've heard nothing but good things about it. I'm glad to see that you liked it so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review.
    I've heard nothing but good things about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely cannot wait!!!! This is exactly my sort of book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I think everyone asks themselves what they would do if they had one day or if this was the last day. I love the fact that she gets another chance to get it right. The book sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh interesting! I don't think I have ever read a book like this one. Can't wait to read it.



    kmichellec87(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a great book. Yours was a wonderful review. I need to go out and buy this one..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely dying to read this one!

    willowwind@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely loved your review! I'm so glad you liked this book it only makes me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This book looks really good. I don't know if I can handle it with all of the ranges of emotions it takes you through!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that was a fantastic review. Now I have to read this book.
    It sounds like a lovely read.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. GREAT review! The fact that you gave it 5 out of 5 stars makes me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This book sounds super good...it has been on my radar for awhile now and your review has made me want it more. I love when we see people we know in books...it is so interesting how life has a way of creeping into books.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great review! You make me want to read this book now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so glad you enjoyed this. I'm not too certain I would want to do things over though. Even so it sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh man, I love books that make you feel that way. I am so excited to read this. Thanks for the inspiring review.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Okay you absolutely convinced me to read this one now - I wasn't sure about the plot before, but I suppose I could give it a try. Thanks, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've heard amazing things about this book, and your review makes me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  27. God, I want to read this book. I swear it's been on my to-read list forever, and all these raving reviews haven't helped much.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great review! I like the premise alot!I love books that stir up emotions!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice review. Interesting book, but it's not my type. I wonder if reading it will make me change my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  30. First review I've read, and it sounds wonderful. I thought you did a great job of expressing this--can't wait to read!

    -Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds great! I missed getting a "First Look" at this one. Doh! I just finished Catching Fire, and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've read so many other positive reviews on this book. It sounds amazing and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. WOW! This book sounds awesome! If I don't win it, I guess I'll have to buy it! Thanks for you openness and sharing your thoughts with us!

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've heard so much about this book! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I read this book and I love it ! It's amazing !!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Loved your review, Tina! This book sounds like a very emotional read I think.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!