nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
Pub. Date: March 02, 2010
Publisher: Hyperion Books for Children
Format: Hardcover, 336pp
Age Range: Young Adult

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father-an elusive European warlock-only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

Sophie Mercer, bless her heart, just can’t seem to catch a break! Since coming into her powers, Sophie’s only tried to help people with them. But unfortunately, and no matter how good the intentions are, things never seem to work out quite the way Sophie has in mind. After a major snafu at prom, Sophie is sent to Hecate Hall, a school for risky Prodigium- that is witches, faeries, and shape shifters who can't seem to keep their abilities in control. I have to say, having all of my favorite supernatural beings thrown together in one place, often against their will, was definitely one of the reasons why I enjoyed this book so much. It was entertaining to learn about their different types of supernatural powers and how they interacted and quite often clashed with one another. Sophie was very likable and she had me cracking up time and time again with her quick witted one liners.

When some of my favorite authors raved about Hex Hall, I just knew I had to get my hands on a copy! I’m glad I did. What a wonderfully exciting debut for Hawkins! Hex Hall was a quick and entertaining read, chocked full of surprises and just the right amount of mystery, magic and humor. The plot kept me eagerly turning pages as Sophie tried to uncover the mysteries surrounding the school and her new life.

Hex Hall ended with a cliffhanger and I can’t wait to see what happens next in this series. It will be interesting to see how Sophie handles herself in the next installment. Sophie- I'm rooting for you all the way!

Overall, readers will be pleased with Hex Hall. It's a hilarious and entertaining read.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

52 comments:

  1. Wonderful review, I really enjoyed Hex Hall, I cant wait to get my very own copy for my shelves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I love books that make me laugh, this may do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Tina! It sounds like such
    a great read. I will be looking out
    for this one =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great review. Those are some of my favorite supernatural beings too. I've added this to my list of books to read. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds awesome!

    Jase

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book sounds great, thanks for the review. I'm putting this one on my to read pile : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh a cliffhanger ending! ughh, I will be wanting to read the next one immediately! But it sounds like a great book and I too, like the school with all the supernaturals sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with your review. I laughed out loud during some parts which I never do with books! I cant wait for the next installment!!!

    Kate
    kpic724 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome. I wish I were sent there, for a visit meet some werewolves. But maybe after graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let me first admit that I had cover envy with this one upon seeing it online....that's a great choice and beautiful colors! Once I found out the greatness carries over to the inside of the book as well....let's just say, it is DEFINITELY on my wish list. Enjoyed the review...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep hearing great things about this book. I really want to check it out!

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen so many great reviews about this book! Which just makes me more excited to read it. Thanks for the review. :]

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book looks really good. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This review makes me want to read the book even more! Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Having all the different kinds of supernatural beings together sounds like fun. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loled at Hecate Hall. It sounds like a good read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mystery, magic, and humor all in one book. And it's a series. I've put it on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved the review and just went to Amazon to Kindle it for my own but it is not available yet...so I must win it...thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review! I can't wait to read this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The moment you mentioned the hilarity and humour I'm all in! Love books with witty heroines and humour :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sophie sounds like a great character! Love humor in books.

    Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree: reading about people with supernatural powers is really interesting! They are the kind of books that I pick up first and read. Anything supernatural or magical, I am all over it!

    Great review!

    -Kelsey
    www.thedoortowonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was a great review. I loveto read about witches and paranormal things.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a book that didn't interest me at first until I started to read reveiw. Now I really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a fun read, thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Isn't that how life works, you do things with great intentions and whatever can go wrong does go wrong..

    Hex Hall looks fantastic and fun, and oh yay paranormal powers minus vampires (I hope!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great review. I so want to read this book. I've always liked witches since I was a teenager. lol I love the cover also.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This book looks like so much fun. It's officially on my to-read pile.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great review! You have made me want to read this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great review. I have been looking forward to this one since I first heard about it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great Review! I like that ir has some good humor-just what I need to get me to Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great review! I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for the review. I've heard great things about this one. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've been hearing good things all around about this book. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I read the first chapter that was made available online and it looked really interesting, particularly the werewolf, but I'm not that into cliffhanger endings, so I may wait until the next book is out before reading.

    ReplyDelete
  36. From the moment I heard about this book I have wanted to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This sounds like a book I would definitely want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great review. Makes me wants to ready the book!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great interview. I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  40. How different supernatural creatures interact with each other is one of my favorite topics! It just kind of seems like werewolves/vampires/zombies/etc shouldn't get along, sort of like how...wild animals don't always get along?

    Anyway, this just looks like a fun book, politics of supernatural creatures aside!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I was able to read the first chapter and I thought it was hilarious when she tried to help her classmate out at the prom. I was cracking up. I have heard nothing but praise for this book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I really want to read this one. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I know what you mean about needing to get your hands on a copy! As soon as I heard about it, I knew it was a book that I HAD to read!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I haven't been reading any books about witches lately so this should be good. I also love a good mystery. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  45. This review makes the book look intriguing and provokes thoughts about wanting to buy this book as soon as it becomes available.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Great review! I love your enthusiasm!

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  47. great review, I can't wait to read this book.

    ajolly1456 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  48. I read the prologue of this and have tweeted back and forth with the author a few times, and I cannot wait to read this! What I read was hee-larious, as is the author herself! :D

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!