nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Review: The Clearing by Heather Davis

THE CLEARING by Heather Davis
Pub. Date: April 2010
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Format: Paperback, 212pp
Age Range: Young Adult

In this bittersweet romance, two teens living decades apart form a bond that will change their lives forever.

Amy is drawn to the misty, mysterious clearing behind her Aunt Mae’s place because it looks like the perfect place to hide from life. A place to block out the pain of her last relationship, to avoid the kids in her new town, to stop dwelling on what her future holds after high school.

Then, she meets a boy lurking in the mist—Henry. Henry is different from any other guy Amy has ever known. And after several meetings in the clearing, she’s starting to fall for him.

But Amy is stunned when she finds out just how different Henry really is. Because on his side of the clearing, it’s still 1944. By some miracle, Henry and his family are stuck in the past, staving off the tragedy that will strike them in the future. Amy’s crossing over to Henry’s side brings him more happiness than he’s ever known—but her presence also threatens to destroy his safe existence.

In The Clearing, author Heather Davis crafts a tender and poignant tale about falling in love, finding strength, and having the courage to make your own destiny—a perfect book to slip into and hide away for awhile.

Amy longs to get away from the memories of her past emotional and physical bruises. How wonderful would it be to start a new life away from a haunted past? This is one of the reasons why I enjoy reading books like this. It’s the magical illusion of fantasy. Getting to start over or living in someone else’s shoes or books for the day. Amy’s life takes an unexpected turn where her wishes come true.

THE CLEARING is told in alternating viewpoints from Amy and Henry. I enjoyed getting inside these character’s heads and watching how their feelings for each other progressed. I‘d assume finding love in a time that’s quite different from the present wouldn’t be without hardships. But I would agree with Amy on one point-the guys were probably more gentlemanly in that era. I couldn’t help but find myself empathizing with Amy and everything she went through with her ex. And Dear Henry, What a sweetheart! Amy and Henry were perfect for each other.

Heather Davis crafted a magical tale where finding love on the wrong side of the tracks – I mean clearing can be breathtaking. I was completely surprised by the ending. I kept thinking everything happened as it was meant to. I loved that the characters took a leap of faith when life threw them curve balls. In the end, it paid off - Big Time. This was the first novel I’ve read by Heather Davis and I’ll be sure to go pick up her other works. Readers looking for a timeless love story where barriers can be crossed should pick up this novel.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

28 comments:

  1. The Clearing sounds so very good! Thank you for the excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, timeless love story! Thanks for the review! I'll be sure to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got this in the mail yesterday and am really looking forward to reading it! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so good, Loved your take I cant wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a surprise ending... and so few times it happens.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review makes me want to read this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm... I have this on netgalley and really want to find time to read it. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, I wanna read this novel so bad. It sounds really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review. I love surprise endings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read books like this for the characters, of course, but there's a certain draw in "How will the author resolve the relationship?" Will he get to her time? Will she get to his? Will it all end in tragedy.

    Thanks for letting us know the ending is good, surprising & not spoiling it for us at the same time. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I kept seeing this all over the blogoshpere, but the cover just didn't capture my interest. But wow, when I read the synopsis and your review it sounds like this will be a sure modern classic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review. I already love this book. This should be a great book to read and make you feel good when you finish. You will relate to the characters and enjoy reading.
    Thanks for your honest review.


    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome review. I've read this via eBook and it's amazing. I absolutely adored Henry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like a very captivating and fairly original read. It's been on my wishlist for a little while now and I'm really looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the great review.

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard some great things about this book and I think I would like it very much! I love your review. It sounds like a story most of us have heard but it gets you wondering whats going to happen to the characters. I like books that make you feel that way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw! I love sweet guys! Henry sounds awesome. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the review. Now I really want to read this:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the first time I have heard anything about this book and it sounds really good and sweet. And it sounds like it's going to make me cry but thats not hard for a book to do. Lol. Thanks for the great review.

    kmichellec87(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review! This is the first review I've read of this book and it sounds fantastic!

    xx,
    E.J.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the sounds of this book and the idea behind. Sounds like she did a good job putting it together. And I agree - it seems that guys would be more gentlemenly but who knows maybe not! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the review. The Clearing sounds really good! Definitely want to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Clearing sounds lovely; I love history mixed with contemporary. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh, i love time travel books! i so want to read this now!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This review sounds so perfect for my nieces. They love to read. I'm hoping to win a copy for them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, this really sounds like an interesting story. It's definitely unlike any other story I have seen lately. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like an interesting read. I loved your review on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This review is making me crave the book even more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds like an awesome book! I can't wait to read this!!

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!