nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Friday, April 9, 2010

Review: For Keeps by Natasha Friend

FOR KEEPS by Natasha Friend
Pub. Date: April 2010
Publisher: Penguin Young Readers Group
Format: Hardcover, 272pp
Age Range: Young Adult

Josie's never met her dad, and that's fine with her. To Josie, Paul Tucci is just a guy who got her mom pregnant and then moved away. It all happened sixteen years ago, when Josie's mom was still a teenager herself. But now Paul Tucci is back in town, and Josie has to deal with not one but two men in her life—her father and her first boyfriend, who Josie fears will hurt her just like Paul hurt her mother.

I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Especially with it being outside of the genre I normally read. The characters were likeable. I could easily understand Josie’s frustrations with her mom and the secrets that were kept from her about her dad. There were a couple of humorous moments that I laughed out loud at. For instance, their reactions and incognito moments around Paul’s parents were amusing. I could actually relate to some of the run-ins that Josie and her mom had with Paul’s parents.

I was also surprised by how fast I read this book. One minute I was at the beginning of the book and the next it was over. Going into this book, I really didn’t know what to expect but I ended up being quite pleased with this novel. A lot of the actions by the characters and some of the plot in this book were predictable; nothing shocking really happened. I guess it was just that this book was so relatable in many ways. I could apply the events in this book to just about anything such as friends or relatives keeping secrets from you. Then you find out years later everything you thought you knew about your life or a loved one was a lie.

So overall, FOR KEEPS was a quick and entertaining read. Readers will be able to easily relate to the characters. Good Read!

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Stars

16 comments:

  1. Quick, fun reads sometimes is exactly what you need! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been curious about this one. I've read a couple of her other books, but it was a while ago and I couldn't really remember whether I liked them or not. I might have to check this one out since you liked it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to this book, since I was 30 when I met my father. He died when I was 31. The point is I understand the feeling the character went through. Would make for a great read!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got this book on hold for me and I hope to read it soon. everyone seems to be reading it and it's gotten good reviews so I hope to enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm seeing this book around the blogosphere and it seems like a book I will enjoy. I loved your review. So I think I'll wait some time for this book. Reasons...I have waaaayy to many books in my TBR pile and I'm running out of book funds...eeeeek. It sucks not having a library around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review! You have convinced me to read this:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that seems like an okay novel - not too bad, but not exceedingly good. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First time I've seen this one mentioned. Sounds like a pretty good read.
    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice review, it got me interested in reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds good, I've already added it to my TBR pile (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Remember reading her other books and enjoyed them! This one sounds great, too!

    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Remember reading her other books and enjoyed them! This one sounds great, too!

    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the cover of this book.

    Sometimes I really love a quick read. I've been looking forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like an enjoyable book! I like reading light, entertaining novels between my heavier reads. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My email is speckldharted22@aim.com and good luck everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Natasha Friend's fresh, straightforward style makes FOR KEEPS excellent reading entertainment. Her use of humor, down-to-earth characters, and heartfelt relationships will have her fans cheering and any new-comers clamoring for her earlier books. I'm glad to see this new arrival and will be eagerly awaiting more to come.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!