nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Review: Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready

Pub. Date: May 04, 2010
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Format: Hardcover, 320pp
Age Range: Young Adult

Love ties them together. Death can't tear them apart.
Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last.

Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone.

Well, sort of.

Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan's violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.

It doesn't help that Aura's new friend Zachary is so understanding—and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart?and clues to the secret of the Shift.

This novel takes us into the ghostly territory of the deceased. Imagine a present day world where every 16yr old and under can communicate with the dead. Now throw in a different variation of ghosts called Shades (dark, bitter, and harmful to post Shifters) into the mix. Now you’ve got dilemmas! I relished discovering the how’s and why’s of the dearly departed’s existence. It was always interesting to see what type of ghost Aura would encounter and how she would interact with them.

As if Aura didn’t have enough problems to deal with, she has to come to grips with the rising stardom of her rock star boyfriend Logan. I don’t think Aura ever imagined in her worse nightmares that Logan would be taken away from her on their special night. I teared up at least two times while reading this book. Jeri captured the emotional tidal waves that come with losing a loved one. While trying to cope with Logan’s death, Aura’s determined to uncover the mysteries surrounding the Shift along with the help of Scottish exchange student Zachary. Zachary = Swoon! Zachary was there for Aura in every way that she needed and I couldn’t help but fall for him just as Aura did.

SHADE is a terrific start to a great series. I can’t wait to see what SHIFT has in store for Aura next! Readers looking for a unique and haunting world where the woes of the dead take haunting to a whole new level should definitely pick this novel up.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


Check out the book trailer for SHADE

54 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm looking forward to reading this book! It's our WOW feature today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your fantastic review, I realized this book is on my tbr shelf. I am to get on it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had my eye on this one for a while now, and it looks like you really enjoyed it - 5 stars! - so even better! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHOOPS I like the sound of this too! :D Five stars-wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I'm adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 5 stars! Wow! Can't wait! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 5 stars? : ) Now I'm even more intrigued.

    I'm looking forward to the world-building in this book. It sounds interesting & well-done. And the triangle between 2 boys becomes so much more complicated when one's no longer living, but you can still interact with him... sounds like an awesome book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome review! I am looking forward to reading this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read anything from this author so far. Shade will definitely be the first. Book that are described as haunting, interest me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read anything from this author so far. Shade will definitely be the first. Book that are described as haunting, interest me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh! I definitely want to read this book (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since I first heard about this book i've wanted to read it and now I want to read it more XD

    Lexie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! 5 stars :) I have to read this

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your review and Smith-Ready's description of it wants me want to go out and get t right now! Will def. go on my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, AMAZING review! I can't wait to read this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've read several reviews on Shade, but I have to say that yours was the most informative. It definitely moved me to put Shade in my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been reading the reviews for shade. Majority of them are 4 stars or above, now I really want to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I really can't wait to read this book. It seems so interesting. I've never heard of a story like it.

    Loved the review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This book sounds good and it's a different paranormal than what I usually read - I'm excited to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really can't wait to read this book! I'm glad to see that you gave it such high praise. It sounds like such an awesome read!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've heard such great things about this book! It sounds amazing and I think I'd love it. Interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Jerri Smith-Ready's WVMP series and am looking forward to trying the YA book. She's a great writer.

    waitmantwillie at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I gave you an award! http://qtbookworm.blogspot.com/2010/04/award.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've just recently heard about this book. It seems really interesting, but I'm confused by the title! Why is it called Shade? :]
    Great review! Makes me want to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This one is definitely on my wishlist. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oooh..didn't know this was going to be a series...putting Shift on my WL now!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great review! I can't wait to read this one, as it sounds awesome! Love Jeri!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've seen this book around and I've always loved the cover. I really like the premise of the book and it sounds like the author did a good job with it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so glad that you gave SHADE 5 stars - I don't want to see it get anything less! I know its inevitable, but I loved it so much that I want everyone to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. omg! i can't wait to read this book! great review!

    ReplyDelete
  31. been trying to get an arc since the fall :P
    can't wait to read this book! great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. You have no idea how hard I have tried to get my hands on this book. I've tried everything from contests, begging requests LOL. I'm really looking forward to reading this and I just know I'm going to love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have been looking forward to Shade for a long time. I'm looking forward to reading it even more now after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have been looking forward to this book since the first review. Every reviewer since has loved it. i can't wait!

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Another Great Review.you've done it again. Got me hooked on a book that's not even out. People would tell me you're a bad influence...but you're not.
    You're Great!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm a big fan of Jeri's WMVP vamp radio series so this book has been on my radar for awhile. Now that it is finally coming out and getting great reviews, I really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great review! Now I really can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This sounds like a great story! Love triangles are are common, especially in YA but I think the ghost factor would be really difficult to compete with.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Nice review. I haven't read that many ghost stories in YA. I'm happy to hear there is already a sequel in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh, I can't wait to read this book! Sounds like there's a really intriguing love triangle going on . . .
    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow! This sounds great! Love the unusual plot. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great review. Looks like its going to be a great new series.

    ReplyDelete
  43. i love a good ghost story....looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'm so exited to read this book. I've hear so many good reviews for it that it has me wanting to read it right now! Hopefully it's as good as a ghost story as it is said to be.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Can't wait to read Shade- been hearing great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'm definately adding this book to my TBR pile! Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great review! I love how this book promises to take the reader into unknown territory. I can't wait to read it.

    xx,
    E.J.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love the take of the generic love triangle, with a new spin.
    I'm very excited to read this book. Normally I'm not a ghost-story girl... but that might change.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Now I want to read Shade even more!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thanks for the review - it makes me want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!