nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Review: Whisper by Phoebe Kitanidis

WHISPER by Phoebe Kitanidis
Pub. Date: April 27, 2010
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Format: Hardcover, 288pp
Age Range: 12

I’d love a cup of coffee. I wish she knew how pretty she was. I wish I could drop this kid in the dryer sometimes. I just want her to be happy. I hope she didn’t find out what Ben said about her. I wish I knew how many calories were in a bite of muffin…

Joy is used to hearing Whispers. She’s used to walking down the street and instantly knowing people’s deepest, darkest desires. She uses this talent for good, to make people happy and give them what they want. But for her older sister, Jessica, the family gift is a curse, and she uses it to make people’s lives—especially Joy’s—miserable. Still, when Joy Hears a frightening whisper from Jessica's own mind, she knows she has to save her sister, even if it means deserting her friends, stealing a car and running away with a boy she barely knows—a boy who may have a dark secret of his own.

WHISPER is a fresh and original take on having an ability to know someone’s deepest and darkest desires just by their thoughts. Can you imagine being bombarded with everyone’s worries, hopes, or dreams-good and bad? Yikes! I would be a headcase. This is exactly what Joy has to cope with. And to top it off, Joy has to constantly be on guard around her bad-tempered sister Jessica-who’s always on the prowl to wreck her social life.

The sisters’ extraordinary ability runs in the family from a long line of Hearers. While one sister uses her gift for good, the other uses it for bad. I couldn’t help but anticipate the fall out. Phoebe Kitanidis drew me into the warped world of these characters and locked me inside the whispers floating around in their heads. One word. WICKED. This ability is one that can wreak havoc on a full scale. I couldn’t get enough of this book, especially when trying to guess how everything would turn out in the end for the sisters.

Phoebe Kitanidis crafted an intense and mindboggling debut. WHISPER will entice readers to rethink their deepest desires and lock up those dark secrets that pound at us every day. You never know who’s listening in…

Great Debut! I can’t wait to see what Phoebe comes up with next!

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

35 comments:

  1. Great review! I've read mix reviews about Whisper. The synopsis really drew me in. I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh this sounds good,great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHH this book sounds wonderful - I cant WAIT to pick it up...wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds fantastic. It's one of those books I saw around but didn't pay much attention to until recently. I'll have to purchase it when I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite part of this novel was how Joy's character just CHANGES. Excellent and believable character development makes me a happy reader! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad this received a positive review! I have high hopes for when I finally get to it. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really terrific review! My daughter would love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great review. You always make me stretch to read books I don't know if I'll like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! This book sounds amazing. I'm adding it to my Goodreads list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so excited to hear about a heroine embracing her gifts (instead of hating them)... although I'm not sure about the sibling rivalry. Sometimes that doesn't work for me... I guess I'll have to pick up the book to make sure it's well-done. lol. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wicked? OMG! Great review. Thanks for making me want to read it even more. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought this book sounded good just from the synopsis and your review made me more excited! It sounds like a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book sounds so good, i can't wait to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooh this sounds soo good. I really want to read it. great review

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review. I am thoroughly intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW, this sounds like a very intense book. Great review.

    Added to my wish list. I really want to read this book.


    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. In spite of the fact that I've read mixed reviews on this book, i's on my wishlist. Can't wait to read it and see what my take on it is.

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd love to read this book! It sure sounds awesome! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This book seemed interesting to me just from the cover. Reading your review makes me really want to go out and grab it!

    Seems like a great debut book!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the premise of this book and it's good to hear she did a great job with it. I'll be reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This book sounds like something I would really enjoy reading. Thanks for reviewing it:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great review. It sounds really good. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love books where the lead character can read people's thoughts so this book sounds great. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome review! This book sounds super intriguing... can't wait to get my hands on it!

    Karen
    http://karensaddictions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great Review!

    Heard of this book before, now I just want it all the more.

    When I get my hands on it...I'll be thanking you for sure.

    Alia
    http://www.books4broke.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice Review I thought it would be as good but from what I've read its a great debut and with such a great twist

    ReplyDelete
  27. Huh! I've heard of something similar where the main character would hear past conversations but this is incredibly neat too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really love paranormal fiction, especially when about "hearers". It just gives this great conflict and intimate look into the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds great! I love books in which one or more of the main characters have psychic abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds really great!
    Great review too (:

    ReplyDelete
  31. This book sounds good. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I had heard mixed reviews for this book. But, the sister rivalry and secrecy really have been enticing me to want to read it...especially because it is something I used to deal with on a daily basis with my own sister. I am glad to see you liked it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!