nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sensational 7 Q & A with Jeri Smith-Ready!


Have you ever wanted to know what it would be like to hang out with your favorite author(s)? In an attempt to get a better understanding of authors, my Sensational Seven Q & A takes a closer or more personal look at these authors to give you a glimpse of the personalities behind the writing of your favorite books.

“Talent alone cannot make a writer. There must be a man behind the book; a personality which, by birth and quality, is pledged to the doctrines there set forth, and which exists to see and state things so, and not otherwise.” By Ralph Waldo Emerson


Smith-Ready has been writing fiction since the night she had her first double espresso. She holds a master's degree in environmental policy and lives in Maryland with her husband, two cats, and the world's goofiest greyhound. Her debut YA novel, SHADE hits shelves May 4, 2010!

If you were given a chance to travel back in time, what year or place would you go / Why?
Wow, what a tough choice! It would definitely be some musically explosive era, like early nineties Seattle, or San Francisco in the late sixties, or Memphis in the late fifties.

Then again, I love the fashions of the forties. I wish men still wore fedoras.

Describe your novel in seven words or less?
Passion, mystery, music, ghosts, and cute guys.

Please share with us about your favorite book and fictional crush to date?
My favorite book ever would probably be NEVERWHERE by Neil Gaiman (sometimes I say GOOD OMENS by Gaiman and Terry Pratchett).

Favorite fictional crush would probably be David from Rachel Caine’s WEATHER WARDEN series. I’m a huge “nice guy” fan.

If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be / Why?
Do cartoons count? If so, I would say Bugs Bunny. He always outsmarts his enemies and gets them to beat themselves rather than having to beat them up directly.

If we’re talking strictly books (I would read a Bugs Bunny novel in a heartbeat, by the way), I think I would be the kid from the BLACK STALLION books. When I read those in middle school, I wanted desperately to be a jockey, but had to give that up because I was too tall. (Anyone who knows me is probably scratching their heads, thinking, “But Jeri, you’re incredibly short.” Yep, but still not short enough to be a jockey.)

If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you/ Why?
Ooh! Anne Hathaway. She could really pull of my sullen early twenties attitude. Plus, she has the perfect eyebrows.

If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be – please explain?
Ten Things I Hate About Me. Because I’m always picking on myself.

How would you describe yourself/life in seven words?
Disorganized. Funny. Free. Fretful. Happy. Easily distracted.

Bonus:

**Is there any additional info you would like to share with your readers about what’s next for you and your books?**
Right now I’m writing the sequel to SHADE, called SHIFT, which will be out in May 2011. I also just finished page proofs on the third book in my adult vampire series, BRING ON THE NIGHT, which comes out in August. I can’t wait to see what fans of the series think of this installment!

Thanks Jeri for stopping by!

For more information about Jeri Smith-Ready and her books, please visit her website here.

54 comments:

  1. haha!! love this interview!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and I cant WAIT to read Shade! OHHH music, cute guys and mystery - EAK!!! Great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview and nice blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Q&A! I have Shade on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Interview! I love the 7 words picked to describe the book - I'm sold ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview. I'd love to have Anne Hathaway play me. Can't wait to read your book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She sounds so cool! Great interview! Mine has to wait until July!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love her house of crow series shes awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview! I can't wait to read Shade.

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome interview! i have heard great things about this book, can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't agree more: guys should still wear fedoras on a regular basis. : D

    And Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman was wonderful!

    Thanks for the wonderful interview, and as always, love the 7 questions. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bugs Bunny was a great answer! Awesome interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG This looks good.

    Good interview, love interviews with the deb's

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great interview Jeri :)

    And I agree I think 10 Thing I Hate About You would make a good movie about a life. And Anne Hathaway is so pretty.

    Lexie

    ReplyDelete
  15. early nineties Seattle would be one of my answers too!
    throuthehaze at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love her description of her novel. Makes me want to read it right now right now! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL, Jeri's biography would be called Ten Things I Hate About Me? So cute! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a lovely interview. I especially like the fact that she likes Neil Gaiman. =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the interview and her answers. I agree, neil gaiman is a brilliant author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. She seems like such a sweet person.

    This book comes out on my birthday!! I love the way she described her biography.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, she sounds just like me! lol I agree with so many of the things she said. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great Q & A! she sounds great! I love the "Passion, mystery, music, ghosts, and cute guys" for a book! And the title for her biograph!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ann Hathaway would be a great choice! And I would definately go back to San Francisco in the late 60's for the music. Really fun interview!

    waitmantwillie at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  24. She sounds so cool and chill! :) I'm from Tacoma, which is way close to Seattle. Yay music! lol And Anne Hathaway even looks like her!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha! Great interview! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anne Hathaway does have perfect eyebrows! I would cast her eyebrows for my eyebrows, though hers are infinitely better! :D

    SHIFT is so far away! I don't think I can wait that long!

    Sara @ The Hiding Spot

    ReplyDelete
  27. great interview! anne hathaway is a great pick, i think she is a wonderful actress

    ReplyDelete
  28. didnt know about the master's degree in environmental policy, thats awesome! and I too wish some of nicer aspects of 40s fashion were around; I love the idea of a male journalist still wearing a hat & suit,lol
    I also wanted The Black Stallion as a kid...the horse himself, I mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great interview. I like Neil Gaiman's books too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice interview, I'm also a fan of the nice guy. And don't be so hard on yourself Jeri, you're wonderful!! x

    ReplyDelete
  31. I haven't read Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series. I will definetely have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love her WVMP Radio series. Can't wait to get into this new series.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'd really like to read Shade. I love Jeri's vamp radio series. I also really like "nice" guy heros and Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series is one of my favs. David is so sweet and he sacrifices everything for Jo over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Dear, you are amazing at interviews. Asking great questions...it's no wonder you get great answers.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Loved the interview and her answers:)
    Especially Bugs Bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I read the Black Stallion books back when I was in middle school too! Your novel sounds awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very nice interview. I love the words she used to describe her novel. Sounds like I'm going to like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh, I've been very anxious to read this book! So cool that Jeri is publishing a YA novel! And I love the proposed title of her autobiography!
    Thanks for the great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great interview! I love Bugs Bunny too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Awesome interview!! Thanks for doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. great interview! and you're right - she does have perfect eyebrows! i'm jealous...:)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for the interview it was awesome! Bugs Bunny is also awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love all of her "7 words or less".

    ReplyDelete
  44. Awesome Interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I met Jeri at the RT convention and enjoyed talking to her, amazing woman! Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I have to agree. Men in fedoras, yumm! ;)

    Great interview.

    xx,
    E.J.

    ReplyDelete
  48. It's nice to see I'm not the only one who picks on myself.
    And I can't wait for her other books :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love your fictional crush. Good choice. Rachel Caine has created a few crush-worthy characers!

    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great interview! I love the descriptions of her/her life in 7 words.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!