nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Review: Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs

FORGIVE MY FINS by Tera Lynn Childs
Pub. Date: June 01, 2010
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Format: Hardcover, 304pp
Age Range: 12

Summary (Amazon)
Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it's not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you're a normal teenage girl, but when you're half human, half mermaid, like Lily, there's no such thing as a simple crush.

Lily's mermaid identity is a secret that can't get out, since she's not just any mermaid—she's a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn't feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she's been living on land and going to Seaview High School ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems—like her obnoxious biker-boy neighbor, Quince Fletcher—but it has that one major perk: Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren't really the casual dating type—the instant they "bond," it's for life.

When Lily's attempt to win Brody's love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily ever after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.

Review
Tera lured me into her world with the promise of an enchanting romance, full of hilarious moments as we follow Lily through her relationship drama. What more can you expect when 1 kiss bonds you to a mate forever? In Lily’s case, she’s running out of time to profess her love to Brody. But, she can’t catch a break, especially when Quince - Son of a Swordfish (In her words) is constantly pestering Lily and in the process ruining every moment Lily has with Brody.

FORGIVE MY FINS intrigued me with its fresh take on mermaid mythology. I loved Lily’s family dynamic. She’s half human – half mermaid and she gets to live in both worlds. It was also refreshing to see Lily go about her day to day activities in both worlds. Good or Bad - Whatever the case may be. There was always a good laugh at an incident or another. I loved everything about Lily’s Kingdom, Thalassinia! Tera’s introduction of Thalassinia captivated me with its beauty. If I could live in a fictional world, Thalassinia would have to be on my places to visit. I can NOT mention Quince – another swoon worthy bad boy! I couldn’t get enough of the scenes that involved Lily and Quince. *Sigh*

After certain events went down, I’m curious about what will happen in the sequel. Readers looking for a fresh take on a magical mermaid story should pick this novel up. I will definitely be waiting to read the sequel!

Rating: 4.5 out 5 Stars

39 comments:

  1. I was actually looking at this on Amazon the other day when I ordered Infinity by SK. Glad you did a review and that it reviewd so high. I will be adding to my TBR wish list and knowing myself the way I do, it will make my TBR MOUNTIAN before too long.. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to read this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! My copy is dispatching soon... very excited I am :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been awhile since I read about mermaids and this sounds both unique and cute! You just know that Quince is going to be a major love interest since she's so easily irritated with him :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover! I have been interested in this for awhile and am glad to know it's good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to reading this. I haven't read any mermaid books and this one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Quince sounds cool (: And I love the idea of mermaids! I haven't read any mermaid books before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome review! I definitely need to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read Siren and now this is looking like my next mermaid sort read ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome review i cant wait to read this

    ReplyDelete
  11. this book definitely sounds like one to read! great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen the cover of this book around a lot, but this is the first I've really stopped to look at it. It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! I look forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review. Happy it reviews so high, have high hopes for this book and can't wait to read it

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review. Happy it reviews so high, have high hopes for this book and can't wait to read it

    ReplyDelete
  16. great review makes me want to read it sounds so good and a different read about mermaids.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm excited to read this. I've always thought mermaids are so magical. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad to hear there are some laughs in this book as well. Too often books take themselves too seriously when they could be enjoying a light hearted moment instead.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like an interesting book. I'm glad there are some funny parts in it. those part make things enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like a really adorable book. Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review! This just went to the top of my wish list! And I love the author interview also. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great review! I read the first 60 pages online through the authors site and I LOVED it! I can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome review! I've been anticipating this book for awhile now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am really looking forward to FMF and it's sequel.


    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. greta review..sounds like a great read

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds soooo good! I really want to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  27. great review. this book sounds really good and I've heard some really great things about it so I'm going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome review! I want to read Forgive my Fins soooo badly!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I cannot wait to read this. The cover and title threw me at first, but all these reviews make is sound AWESOME!

    --Courtney Rae--
    courtneyyrae@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great review! I've always had an interest towards mermaids, and fairytale-isms, in general. The book sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's a really good review. Makes me want to read it now :3
    I saw the book a few times, but your review made me want to read it more. *swoon worth bad boys<3*

    ReplyDelete
  32. kinda sounds like the modern day version of the little mermaid? not a bad thing though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great review!! I love any fiction books about mermaids! I hope I can read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sounds like a great book, hope to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  35. great review sounds like my kinda book, can't wait to rerad.

    ginnn7(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Son of a Swordfish--that's great!

    I would love to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Magical! can't wait to read!
    33049@sjamail.net

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great review! I think I would enjoy this book, especially since there is humor involved.

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!