nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Review: Dark Goddess by Sarwat Chadda

DARK GODDESS by Sarwat Chadda
Pub. Date: January 25, 2011
Publisher: Disney Press
Format: Hardcover, 384pp
Source: Disney Hyperion

BEWARE: SPOILERS (If you have not read DEVIL’S KISS)

New enemies, new romance, and new horrors, Billi's back, and it seems like the Unholy just can't take a hint.

Still reeling from the death of her best friend, Kay, Billi's thrust back into action when the Templars are called to investigate werewolf activity. And these werewolves are like nothing Bilil's seen before.

They call themselves the Polenitsy - Man Killers. The ancient warrior women of Eastern Europe, supposedly wiped out centuries ago. But now they're out of hiding and on the hunt for a Spring Child -- an Oracle powerful enough to blow the volcano at Yellowstone -- precipitating a Fimbulwinter that will wipe out humankind for good.
The Templars follow the stolen Spring Child to Russia, and the only people there who can help are the Bogatyrs, a group of knights who may have gone to the dark side. To reclaim the Spring Child and save the world, Billi needs to earn the trust of Ivan
Romanov, an arrogant young Bogatyr whose suspicious of people in general, and of Billi in particular.

Dark Goddess is a page-turning, action-packed sequel that spans continents, from England to the Russian underworld and back. This is an adventure of folklore and myth become darkly real. Of the world running out of time. And of Billi SanGreal, the only one who can save it.

BEWARE: SPOILERS (If you have not read DEVIL’S KISS)

DARK GODDESS wastes no time throwing readers into the thick of the action as Billi faces a foe even deadlier than the last. Billi continues to kick ass against these Unholy (all the supernatural evil that preys on mankind). These creatures are formidable and strike with deadly efficiency. It was nerve-racking to see if Billi and fellow Templars would survive the night. This action packed and drama filled installment had me holding my breath in anticipation of the dangers to come. Sarwat continues to enthrall me with his world building, great cast of characters, and the ever so dangerous life of a Templar.

Billi is still grieving over the death of her best friend Kay. In order to cope, she’s put her duties as a Templar above all else. Soon, Billi finds out that things aren’t as simple as living in the past with the dead. Now, she has to live and look to the future, even if that future involves an Oracle powerful enough to end the world. She will do everything to keep this from happening. Her journey soon leads her to Ivan Romanov, the new love interest in this installment and he’s as delicious as they come. Billi is epic as far as strong heroines go. She’s been through so much at the young age of fifteen. And just when it seems like she’s out for the count, she continues to surprise me with her strength. She’s the kind of protagonist that I love reading about.

In DARK GODDESS, no one and I mean no one is exempt in this kill or be killed world of Unholy. Get ready for a fast paced world, full of creatures that go bump in the night, as Billi and fellow Templars try to save the world. I’m ready for more adrenaline packed and rip-roaring adventures from Billi and crew. Bring ‘em on! I would love to see this series on the big screen.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

21 comments:

  1. I hope this means that Devil's Kiss will be coming out in paperback. Maybe it works different in the YA genre, but when I've been waiting for a paperback to come out (from a hardbacke) , it usually comes when the newest hardback is released.

    Both of these books sound very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great review. I'm definitely adding this to my books to read. I love fast paced books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really HAVE to read Devils' Kiss now! Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED this book! And I think it would make an amazing film or tv series! Great review:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still can't believe everything that happened in the first one! This sounds awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great review. Please enter me in contest. Tore923@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great review. I'm definitely adding this to my books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic review! I can't wait to read this!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review. I haven't read these but I am adding them to the ever growing list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh new love interest?? 5 stars?? so excited for this release. Great review XD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great review! I wanna read it more now! Too bad I still have to wait. Your so lucky to have read it! I can't believe it's 5 stars!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked the first one. I probably should re-read, I didn't remember Kay's death until I read it here. Maybe a re-read is what I need. excited about the new love interest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad that we're thrown right into action. I hate when sequals start out unbearably slow.

    A new love interest??? I kept hoping that, somehow, Kay would come back. :( I hope I like Ivan at least half us much as Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the great review! The book sounds totally intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds so good! I also love the cover art. What a great review, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. +2 I follow your blog- Natasaha Jennex
    +1 I follow on Twitter- @AGreatBook
    +1 Commented on your great review!

    natashajennex(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! This sounds sooo good. I actually have the first book and have not read it yet. That will be changing asap.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review! Can't wait to read this series!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoyed Devil's Kiss and it sounds to me like Dark Goddess is even better. I can't wait to read about the new love interest, Ivan. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The review you wrote and you giving it 5/5 stars makes this sound like a great book. I haven't read the first one yet, though.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!