nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Review: Other by Karen Kincy

OTHER by Karen Kincy
Pub. Date: July 2010
Publisher: Flux
Format: Paperback, 336pp
Age Range: Young Adult

Feathers unfurl from my skin. My plummet curves into a swoop, and I tuck my talons beneath my body. From girl to great horned owl in about a second. Pretty good, huh?

Gwen Williams is like any other modern teenager with one exception: she's a shapeshifter. Never having known her Pooka-spirit father, Gwen must struggle with the wild, wonderful magic inside of her alone—and in secret. While society may tolerate vampires, centaurs, and "Others" like Gwen, there are plenty of folks in Klikamuks, Washington, who don't care for her kind.

Now there's a new werewolf pack in town, and Others are getting killed, including Gwen's dryad friend. The police are doing zilch. In the midst of terrible loss and danger, Gwen meets a cute Japanese fox spirit who's refreshingly comfortable with his Otherness. Can Gwen find the courage to embrace her true self and find the killer—before she becomes the next victim?

Kincy spends a thrilling tale, filled with mythical creatures, danger, and suspense.

Gwen Williams has kept her shape-shifting secret from everyone due to the prejudices against Others. But when Others start turning up dead, Gwen is determined to get to the bottom of the murders even if her own life ends up on the line. I thoroughly enjoyed the world that Kincy created. I never thought I’d be reading about a pooka (a shapeshifting spirit), but Kincy had no problems drawing me into Gwen’s world of shape-shifters.

I was intrigued with the premise of OTHERS. These mythical characters are living in the human world and even shop right alongside us in grocery stores. Mixing both human and Other in a realistic setting, drew me more into this book. Gwen continued to battle against her half pooka nature and the consequences of what it would be like to live freely. Although she considered herself a ‘bloodborn’ Other, she was quick to throw blame on Others that she considered ‘diseased.’ She had her own biases against others to deal with, and it was nice to see the growth of her character throughout the book. Tavian, a fox spirit, was my favorite character in this book. He’s so different from what I typically read when dealing with a paranormal love interest. He was great addition to this book.

I’ll be looking forward to reading BLOODBORN, the next installment in this series. I can’t help but wonder what Kincy has up her sleeve for this sequel! OTHER will be sure to entice readers looking for an intriguing mix of paranormal, romance, and mystery.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

32 comments:

  1. I'm excited you like it; I'm DYING to get my hands on it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I didn't know there was going to be a sequel! Nice review. I haven't read it yet, and am glad that there were no big spoilers to turn me away from reading it. :)

    Love the blog!

    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to read this after my kid (aka, my star teen reviewer on my blog) reads it. I picked up an ARC copy at the ALA conference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I REALLY want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I so want to read this now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mind is gone crazy wondering what it could possibly be like to live amongst such mythical creatures... great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks to have an interesting spin on the regular paranormal romance :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Sounds interesting! And I love the cover. Woods on covers always promises something good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Other sounds amazing and your review makes me want to read it evenmore then I already did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Other sounds really good. I've been wanting to read it for a while and now your review has made me even more anxious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to read Other! It sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a refreshing concept after the myriad of vamp/werewolf books around. Looking forward to it, me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed your review. It gave me a much better idea of what Other is about. I'm really looking forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. great review! the book sounds really interesting and i can't wait to read it

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read an excerpt of Other a few months ago and immediately put it on my wishlist even though I don't read YA all that often. Something about it just caught my eye. Now that it's out, I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. great review and not I need to research what a pooka is.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This one's on my wishlist and I want to read it so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I went to the book store FOR this book yesterday - after reading your review, though I did not comment, it sounds soo good - Sadly they did not have it, I HATE it when that happens...I hope to get it SOON, sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This has been on my wish list for sooo long! I can't wait to read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review! Other sounds sooo good! I must have it! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great review! I didn't really want to read Other til now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. a mix of paranormal, romance and mystery sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Terrific review. I've seen some people love it (most) and some hate it so I'm glad to see a review that points out a lot of great info.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great review. I thought it sounded interesting before, but not it sounds like a must read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice review. I think this book sounds awesome after reading your review I want to read it even more than I did before.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This sounds so good! I like the shifter trend right now, and this sounds like a nice take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your review was very good and it makes me want to read this book even more. i love books with supernatural elements in them and i have feeling this book will be another fine addition to my read pile, once i read it that is.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the review. This sounds like a good book. I have heard of shapeshifters before, but pooka is a new word to me. Now I know what it means.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love all of these mythical creature books lately! This one sounds really neat!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!