nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sensational 7 Q & A with Cyn Balog!


Have you ever wanted to know what it would be like to hang out with your favorite author(s)? In an attempt to get a better understanding of authors, my Sensational Seven Q & A takes a closer or more personal look at these authors to give you a glimpse of the personalities behind the writing of your favorite books.

“Talent alone cannot make a writer. There must be a man behind the book; a personality which, by birth and quality, is pledged to the doctrines there set forth, and which exists to see and state things so, and not otherwise.” By Ralph Waldo Emerson


Cyn Balog is the author of the young adult paranormal novels FAIRY TALE and SLEEPLESS. She lives outside Allentown, Pennsylvania with her husband and daughters. Visit her online at http://www.cynbalog.com/.

SLEEPLESS is in a store near you!
If you were given a chance to travel back in time, what year or place would you go / Why?
I've given this question serious thought, and decided that I would need to go back to an era with indoor plumbing, so that narrows it down quite a bit. I thought about going to the Titanic because I totally loved all of Kate Winslet's dresses, but the whole drowning in ice-cold water thing turns me off. Since I am secretly fascinated by the JFK assassination and LOVE Jackie O's style I think I would like to go to that era, in a little bubblegum pink pillbox hat. Maybe to the fifth floor of the book depository to see what Lee Harvey was up to and whether he really could make that shot.

Describe your novel in seven words or less?
Sandman loves girl. Much hysteria ensues.

Please share with us about your favorite book and fictional crush to date?
I have too many favorite books! The one I will mention for this interview will be FEED by MT Anderson. Unfortunately I do not maintain fictional crushes because my husband is insanely jealous. Actually, um, he is really just insane.

If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be / Why?
I would be the Wizard of Oz because I could give people things like a dollar-store heart-shaped clock on a chain and people would think I was giving them the world.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you/ Why?
I am one of those people who, growing up, was told I look like numerous famous people, among them, Julie Delpy, Lisa Kudrow, Laura Dern in Jurassic Park, and Meryl Streep. I think Meryl Streep would probably do a really good job as me, but unfortunately I am not that old. Though with make-up and special effects... But seriously, why am I even contemplating this? Why the hell would she ever want to play ME?

If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be – please explain?
I've been asked this question a few times, and every time I come up with a different answer. So I would have to say, IS THAT YOUR FINAL ANSWER? Because I always change my mind. No actually, it should be called BORING or maybe have a warning that people shouldn't waste their time on it, like OPEN THIS BOOK AND DIE. Or maybe THE INSOMNIA SOLUTION.

How would you describe yourself/life in seven words?
Stuck inside for months; need sunshine. Help?


Bonus:

**Is there any additional info you would like to share with your readers about what’s next for you and your books?**
Yes! I have two more YA paranormals coming out in 2011 and 2012 from Delacorte! One is about a guy who controls the power of the sun and the other is about a guy who remembers his future. Titles to be determined. After that I was thinking about writing a book entitled, OPEN THIS BOOK AND DIE, which will obviously be a bestseller.


Thanks for stopping by Cyn!

For more information about Cyn Balog and her books, please visit her website here.

31 comments:

  1. Great interview. It was so funny. I loved Fairy Tale and can't wait to read Sleepless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. I love your future best-seller's title. : ) What a wonderful idea! I can't wait to pick up Sleepless, I just love your premise... but I have to lift by book buying ban first. : )

    I love the idea of going back to the book depository with Lee Harvey Oswald. Then you could tell us what *really* happened. : )

    Thanks for the wonderful interview.
    Christa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! Being the Wizard of Oz would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ironically when I read the author would go back to Jackie O and JFK's time, I thought, funny, Katie Holmes in my city making a movie on Jackie O now....

    Fantastic Q&A!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview!
    I love the indoor plumbing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Iloooooved Fairy Tale! I am excited to read Sleepless and the new ones coming out next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What interesting answers! Especially for the time travel and being the Wizard of Oz :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So excited more to come from this author. Can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun interview! I think the books about the guy who controls the power of the sun sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great interview! I would definitely buy Open This Book and Die :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview! Interesting: a guy who REMEMBERS his future. Will definitely look into those two coming out in 2011

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha, she sound like an extrememly funny person! Love her personality. And i would totally buy a book called OPEN THIS BOOK AND DIE. :)

    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very enjoyable interview. I have to say, I'd pick Laura Dern to play you in your movie because she looks quite a bit like you. And the whole traveling back in time always sounds good, but then you have to worry about the lack of amenities, the whole changing the timeline, etc., I'm not sure I'd want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this interview! I like the title of her biography and the thing with Meryl Streep!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Julie Delpy really does look like you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the news about your new books! They sound amazing and I now have more to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  17. how interesting, to go back to the JFK assassination.
    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Going back to the JFK era is an unusual answer...but I love the pillbox hats too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great interview. Cant resist a novel when the description tells you there is much hysteria either along with a sandman.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really great interview! Especially love the titles for a book about her life!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jackie O did and still does have style.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fun interview. I look forward to reading sleepless.

    I have never thought about being in wizard of oz, it would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree - indoor plumbing is a must!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great interview. I have the same life as her. I just stay inside and read.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome interview! LOL at her Wizard of Oz response. I'd love that heart-shaped clock on a chain from the dollar store. xD I enjoyed her interview a lot -- it's hilarious. xD Love the describing her life in seven words. I'm also excited about the future projects she's going to be writing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Open This Book and Die. I love the title! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great interview sounds like some great books coming out next years!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for posting this interesting interview on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow that sounds great! Great interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the interview!!! Love the one about describing herself and about her biography. Super funny. Thanks so much for posting it :) <3

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!