nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Sensational 7 Q & A with Karen Kincy!


Have you ever wanted to know what it would be like to hang out with your favorite author(s)? In an attempt to get a better understanding of authors, my Sensational Seven Q & A takes a closer or more personal look at these authors to give you a glimpse of the personalities behind the writing of your favorite books.

“Talent alone cannot make a writer. There must be a man behind the book; a personality which, by birth and quality, is pledged to the doctrines there set forth, and which exists to see and state things so, and not otherwise.” By Ralph Waldo Emerson


A shameless nerd and lover of snark, Karen lives in Olympia, Washington, where she is a senior studying linguistics, literature, and computer science at The Evergreen State College. She ripped off her hometown of Snohomish, WA for the fictional locale of Klikamuks, where Other takes place. When she’s not at her computer, writing, she’s probably out in the forest with her notebook, writing, or on a photography expedition with her trusty digital camera. She likes to imagine werewolves lurking among the trees.

Look for OTHER in a store near you!

If you were given a chance to travel back in time, what year or place would you go / Why?
I would love to visit Ancient Egypt, though I’d have to prepare myself by learning how to read hieroglyphs and speak the Egyptian of the time. And I sunburn like a marshmallow in flame. The pain, however, would be worth it, because once I got back, I’d write an amazing, historically accurate Ancient Egyptian novel. That’s genuinely my selfish authorly incentive to time-travel anywhere and anywhen.

Describe your novel in seven words or less?
Shapeshifter Girl Hunts Killer After Paranormal People! (Breaking News!)

Please share with us about your favorite book and fictional crush to date?
My favorite book and fictional crush? Those are, I believe, two separate things. I will say that Annette Curtis Klause’s Blood and Chocolate ranks up there among my undying favorites. I adore her lush, sensuous language and badass werewolf protagonist, Vivian. As for my fictional crush, I recently answered this in another interview: Eric Northman from Charlaine Harris’s Sookie Stackhouse series, in his True Blood incarnation. I can’t resist his Viking vampire hotness. Excuse me while I abduct him.

If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be / Why?
Probably Lyra from Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy. Partially because I’d love to have Pantalaimon as my daemon, and partially because I love Lyra’s expert lying skills contrasted with her alethiometer (truth-telling device). If I were her, that would also mean that I’d get to run around the amazing steampunky London in the parallel universe Pullman created.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you/ Why?
This depends on whether Hollywood wants to make my life into this serious artsy movie about a young writer’s rise to authorship, or else some sort of romantic comedy about a college student who happens to be obsessed with novels (and writing steamy scenes) while hunting down a boyfriend. According to those websites which match your face with a celebrity’s, I should have Evan Rachel Wood play me. Which is sort of badass, considering how she plays the vampire queen in True Blood right now.

If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be – please explain?
Wordly Wise, or some such pun involving words, since I’m both a linguistics/literature major and an author. Beyond that, I love words to the point of wanting a dictionary of etymology for Christmas, and scouring used bookstores for old linguistic texts.

How would you describe yourself/life in seven words?
New college grad seeks book addiction career!

Bonus:

**Is there any additional info you would like to share with your readers about what’s next for you and your books?**
Keep your eyes peeled for Bloodborn, the sequel to Other, in the fall of 2011! I’m revising it right now, in fact, and it shows us what life is like as a bloodborn—newly bitten—werewolf who, incidentally, grew up hating and hunting werewolves. Yes, lots of angst there. Also, scenes with werewolves running around America with the police on their tails. After that, the third book in the series, Foxfire, should hit shelves in 2012. If the title isn’t obvious, expect the Japanese fox-spirits known as kitsune.

Thanks for stopping by Karen!

For more information about Karen Kincy and her books, please visit her website here.

34 comments:

  1. I've seen your book Other all over the blogosphere and it's driving me mad! I can't wait to get a copy, it looks phenomenal!

    Great Q&A!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview. I've been hearing such great things about Other. I love her 7 word summary. And I'm impressed how she's going to school, writing and marketing her book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! Wow, I had no idea there was going to be a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! Glad to hear there's a sequel!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too, am a shameless nerd. :) I'll be looking out for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! Other sounds amazing and thankfully there's going to be a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! I love shapeshifters and can't wait to read Other!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yaay, she's so awesome for loving Ancient Egypt (I'm a die-hard fan) and the Dark Materials trilogy! I love em both :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview! I can't wait to read this :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed the interview and I'm very interested in reading the book. I love the title, it's so sparse and yet gives you a good idea of what the book is about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great interview! i love blood and chocolate too! it's one of my all time favorites :D and i would love to go to ancient eygpt as well

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen's going to have to fight me for Eric Northman - what a hottie, both in the books and on TV. Oh wait, maybe we can just share him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great interview. Your books sounds like a great read and since I love werewolves I'm adding it to my tbb list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice interview, I never knew that there would be a sequel until I read this interview.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to be Lyra too! Great interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great interview! I want this book so bad! I went to Borders to buy it and they didn't have it! Now I'm on a book buying ban so I'll have to wait unless I win it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great interview! I love how she thinks she will get Eric but ima get him first!

    ReplyDelete
  18. EVan Rachel Wood is a great choice,i love her. can't wait to read Other!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting Interview! The Author sounds really nice and exciting...Can't wait to read her book!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved the interview. I've read so many good things about this book already. I can't wait to read it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can't wait to read the book! Any fan of TrueBlood and Blood and Chocolate is fine by me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great interview. Glad to hear theres already a sequel in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good interview. I liked the seven word line. :)
    I can't wait to read Other!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the seven words or less. That would be a headline to catch my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i've been eyeing this book for a while and want to read right now.
    also thanks for the interview and a chance to get to know the author little better.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great interview I just learned about this book. I heard about it everywhere lately sounds so good,glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome interview i just heard about the book. Now I must read.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the interview. The sequel sounds like it's gonna be great, too. I love her answer about ancient Egypt because I have been fascinated by it since I was a little kid. I also agree with her about Eric. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've always said I'd go back to ancient Rome if I had a chance, but you know ancient Egypt would be pretty cool too. As long as I could travel with immunity!

    Japanese fox spirits, kitsune? A new mythological creature for me. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Eric's my favorite fictional crush too. SO yummy! I was a little scared when I heard they were going to make a TV series but so far I really like it and him too :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great interview! Didn't know there would be a sequel. Eric Northman is yummy in the Southern Vampires series!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow. I sounds like we'd really get along. Take me with you to Egypt! =)

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!