nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Review: The Mark by Jen Nadol

The Mark by Jen Nadol
Pub. Date: January 19, 2010
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Format: Hardcover, 240pp


Cassandra Renfield has always seen the mark—a glow around certain people reminiscent of candlelight. But the one time she mentioned it, it was dismissed as a trick of the light. Until the day she watches a man awash in the mark die. After searching her memories, Cassie realizes she can see a person’s imminent death. Not how or where, only when: today.

Armed with a vague understanding of the light, Cassie begins to explore her “gift,” seeking those marked for death and probing the line between decision and destiny. Though she’s careful to hide her secret—even from her new philosophy-obsessed boyfriend—with each impending death comes the temptation to test fate. But so many questions remain. How does the mark work? Why is she the only one who sees it? And finally, the
most important of all: If you know today is someone’s last, should you tell them?

A spellbinding page turner, The Mark will have readers hooked to Cassie’s journey from the first page…
Cassie Renfield is about to get the wakeup call of her life when understanding finally dawns on her about her new gift to see the mark. As she struggles to process the events leading up to the death of a man marked, now she’s questioning if she could have prevented the death using her ability.

Nadol did a spectacular job keeping me drawn into Cassie’s anguished search for answers about her ability and choices on whether she should use it to help others. What a powerful ability to have and I found myself sympathizing with Cassie throughout her journey. Given an ability to change one’s fate has to be hard and I can’t imagine being in Cassie’s shoes with the choices she has to make. This book really had me thinking what if this was me?

Nadol’s powerful debut should entice readers of all ages. The Mark exceeded my expectations and when the mysteries surrounding Cassie’s ability where revealed, let’s jus t say I can’t wait to see if there will be a sequel.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

36 comments:

  1. I can't IMAGINE what it would be like to have the ability to change my own fate.
    This sounds really hard to read and yet amazing at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the sequel (which I hear is already written) gets pubbed too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great review.Sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4 out of 5 stars! Not to shabby. Jen has an awesome launch contest going on at her blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, and on her birthday too!

    Happy birthday Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review. I really can't wait to read this. The plot sounds so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read this! Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I. Must. Read. This. Book. Glad to see you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the great review. I'm going to add it to my list of books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sound like a page turner
    great review I'v been wanting to find out more about this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book really had me thinking what if this was me?

    When I first read the summary, this is what I asked myself, too. And I'm glad the book is good, and such a page-turner. I'm looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Mark sounds like a must-read! I've always wanted to get a copy of this book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to read this book, it sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. very interesting! thanks for the review... it's definitely not a gift that i'd want.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds great, it is definitely on my wish list! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you really liked The Mark. It has been on the top of my TBR pile for a while now so I'm really excited to give it a read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review! I look forward to reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review! I can't wait to read this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've wanted to read this for a while now. I just love the premise and I'm glad to see a positive review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like a great book, especially if we're as drawn into Cassie's dilemma as it sounds like we are.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This book sounds like the type of book that will keep me up at night. I seriously want to read this! So glad you liked it! Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great Review... This one sooooo sounds like something I would want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope I like this book as much as you did! I am in love with the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've had this book on my TBR stack at Goodreads for awhile, and now I want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very good review. Sounds like you really enjoyed it. I have been wanting to read it and now want to even more.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've wanted to read this book ever since I first read the synopsis.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This sounds like such a great story. I fell in love with the cover immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great review and story concept!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Exceeding expectations is always good :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's on my 2010 Debut Authors Challenge list and now I may just have to bump it up in the TBR stack. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It sounds like a fascinating read!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That would be a power that would be hard to accept. I'm not sure I would want it. This sounds like a good one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I cannot wait for the book. Glad you liked it

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great review! I like the way you told the reader just enough to get them interested without any spoilers. Nice job!

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!