nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Author Interview: Aimee Friedman

Aimee Friedman was born and raised in Queens, New York. She wrote all through her years as a student at the Bronx High School of Science and then Vassar College. Aimee published her first novel, the New York Times bestseller, South Beach, in 2005, and is now the author of six novels for young adults, the latest being Sea Change, a love story with a hint of enchantment. I want to thank Aimee for answering a few questions about Sea Change and her writings for her readers and fans.

What inspired you to write Sea Change?
I have always loved mermaid stories, my favorites being The Little Mermaid and the movie "Splash." I liked the idea of reversing the traditional roles--of the mer-creature being a boy, and the lovelorn human a girl. From that seed of an idea sprang SEA CHANGE!

What do you see as the influences on your writing?
My family, my friends, music. The many, many books I read growing up--and the many books I read today. Fashion. Movies. Museums. Cities. History. Origins of words. Long drives. Kisses. Whispers. Eavesdropping on conversations at Starbucks. Inspiration is everywhere.

Did you learn anything from writing Sea Change and what was it?
I learned a lot about the Sea Islands, which lie off the coast of the Southern United States. Selkie Island--where the book takes place-is fictitious, but it's modeled on a few of these Sea Islands, which are beautiful and beachy and full of legend and lore. I spent some time on lovely Tybee Island (right near Savannah, Georgia), and took a beach tour with their science center, which was where I learned a lot about the local sea creatures. It was fascinating!

Do you see yourself writing more books like Sea Change in the fantasy or paranormal genre?
I'd love to! Writing SEA CHANGE was a wonderful, rich challenge, and in an ideal world I'd have the time to write a sequel to it (I can't tell you how many people have already asked me for a sequel!). I also love ghost stories, and yes, ever-popular vampire stories, so paranormal fiction definitely appeals to me.

Which of your books is your favorite?
This is so hard to pick...as an author, you get so close to each of your books, and form very complicated relationships with them! But I'd have to say SOUTH BEACH, because it was my first novel, and writing it was just pure, liberating fun. I wrote it very quickly--in a matter of months--and I've probably never had as easy of a writing experience since. There's something about working on a first book that is very exciting, very freeing.

Which of your books was the hardest to write and why?
SEA CHANGE gave me some trouble, because of the fantastical elements, and also because Miranda as a character is very different from me. The character of Katie in THE YEAR MY SISTER GOT LUCKY, for instance, is very much like me: a daydreamer, a storyteller, a younger sister. But I wanted Miranda to be very logical and rational, all about science and numbers. I was never like that, and it was both difficult and thrilling to work on a character so unlike myself.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?
I am currently working on a spooky story for younger readers--it's been a lot of fun! After that, I'm planning a new YA novel about travel and romance. And of course, I dream of writing a sequel to SEA CHANGE, and to my graphic novel, BREAKING UP.

Is there anything that you would like to share with your readers?
Please stop by my website: www.aimeefriedmanbooks.com, for a full list of all my books! And feel free to drop me a line anytime at: aimee@aimeefriedmanbooks.com. Happy reading!

Thanks Aimee!


For more information about Aimee Friedman and her books, please check out her website here.

16 comments:

  1. Hi, Aimee! I love the idea behind Sea Change and mermaids so I'm really looking forward to reading your book. Great interview! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great author interview. I really want to read Sea Change :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutely in love with this one. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice interview! Hearing from the author has made me want to check out this book and South Beach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved meeting Aimee (again!) at Book Expo this year. She really is such a nice nice lady every time I see her. That said thanks for the interview!! More love for Aimee is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds really good. I ahave never read a YA book about mermaids before, and this one sounds like it is going to be really good. Great Interview.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read her book Sea Change! :) Cool interview!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview. Mermaids are such an interesting twist, they are really not often seen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There just aren't enough mermaids in fiction today. Thanks for adding what sounds like a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love hearing what inspires an author to write and I love mermaids!

    Thanks!

    Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo. I didn't know she was writing a graphic novel. How cool. Aimee seems very down to earth, reminds me that some day I want to write novels.. eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i hope she does write a sequel =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book looks so good. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Knowing that those islands had something to do with the book makes me want to read it more :) I've been to three of them quite a bit (and htCumberland is a great place to imagine for it)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds amazing!!!I bet it will be really good!!Can't wait to read it!XD

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!