nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Review: The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan

Demon’s Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Publish Date: June 2009
Age Range: Young Adult
336pp
Nick and his brother, Alan, have spent their lives on the run from magic. Their father was murdered, and their mother was driven mad by magicians and the demons who give them power. The magicians are hunting the Ryves family for a charm that Nick's mother stole — a charm that keeps her alive — and they want it badly enough to kill again.

Danger draws even closer when a brother and sister come to the Ryves family for help. The boy wears a demon's mark, a sign of death that almost nothing can erase...and when Alan also gets marked by a demon, Nick is des-perate to save him. The only way to do that is to kill one of the magicians they have been hiding from for so long.

Ensnared in a deadly game of cat and mouse, Nick starts to suspect that his brother is telling him lie after lie about their past. As the magicians' Circle closes in on their family, Nick uncovers the secret that could destroy them all.
This is the Demon's Lexicon. Turn the page.
The Demon’s Lexicon is Sarah’s debut novel and I just have to say “WOW!” She did a fantastic job. Let’s start with the writing – Beautifully written – I ate up every word and found myself ensnared in Brennan’s world with sword swinging – knife throwing bad boy Nick (I love my bad boys) & gun slinging charismatic Alan as the Ryves brothers try to outrun evil Magicians and Demons. I did not want to put this book down for 1 minute. I carried it everywhere and tried to get sneaks in when I could, let’s just say I’m addicted now. The characters are well developed and I did not feel like I was lacking anything from the characters – I came to understand them on every level and what it is that makes them tick.

I love books that have witty banter and comic relief and The Demon’s Lexicon did not disappoint. I don’t know how many times I laughed at a remark in this book and they just kept on coming. I think I’ve found a new character to jones on. “How about it Nick? Please turn that wicked smile on me!” I mean look at that mouth - me thinks it’s wicked!

The plot is fantastic and will keep you glued to the pages. There are plenty of twists and unsuspected turns in this book that will have you begging for more by the end. There is one revelation that had my eyes bulging and my mouth on the floor because I suspected something entirely different than what I got. I won’t go into details, so you'll have to find out for yourself. The Ryves brothers are loveable and I can’t wait to go on another adventure with them. So until then, I’ll have to find something else to tickle my fancy.

I highly recommend The Demon’s Lexicon, you won’t be disappointed!

Rating: 4 ½ out of 5 stars

26 comments:

  1. Is this already in stores? I have been wanting to read it!! I know it comes out this month-- I just assumed mid-month. Great review! I'm excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!! I would love to read this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I plan to get this from the shop soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok...you got me. I now want to read this book. I just went and put it onto my TBR list for a near future read.
    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fantastic read. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, I've always skipped over this book everywhere else I've seen it but your review really got me. I'm definitely gonna check this one out! Thanks. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't seen this book around - thank you for such a strong recommendation. I'll have to add this book to my TBR pile. You're a great source of books to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review - I cant wait to read this book.
    Thanks
    Carlene
    iluvreading(at)verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to my bookstore to get TDL and they didn't have it in! I WANT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a great book. I have to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was patiently waiting for this book until this review - now I have to buy it!!! Grrrr....::secretly smiling::

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, okay. I give! I've been seeing this book every were and waffled about wanting to read it but your review convinced me. Not to mention I also love my bad boys :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm still not certain about that cover, but the story does sound interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love books that surprise you! This book is on my WL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Witty banter and made your eyes bulge? Sign me up. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review. You really made me want to rush out and grab it. I cant wait to get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have heard so many great things about The Demon's Lexicon. I can't wait to read it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't wait to take a peek at this one, it's on my tbb list! Great review!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanx 4 the review, it sounds awesome, can't wait to read it.plus there's a hot guy on it bonus lol :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a copy of The Eternal Kiss and Sarah Brennan's writing caught my attention. It's the humor, it keeps catching me off guard and making me laugh! :) Just found your blog through The Book Butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the review. It sounds like its going to be an interesting read. I love books that draw me into their world.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have heard just amazing things about this one, and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think this is maybe the first review I've actually read of this bok so thank you for making it such a good and comprehensive one :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic review!! I've been wanting this one ever since it's release.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!