nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Review: Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pub. Date: June 2009
Age Range: Young Adult
304pp

"Don't worry, Anna. I'll tell her, okay? Just let me think about the best way to do it."

"Okay."

"Promise me? Promise you won't say anything?"

"Don't worry." I laughed. "It's our secret, right?"

According to her best friend Frankie, twenty days in Zanzibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy ever day, there's a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there's something she hasn't told Frankie---she's already had that kind of romance, and it was with Frankie's older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.

This is Ockler’s debut novel and she did a fantastic job. Twenty Boy Summer is a beautifully written story about Love, Loss, Friendship & Finding oneself. I was glued to the pages from beginning to end. This is an emotional and heartfelt story; I don’t know how many times I teared up reading this book.

I absolutely fell in love with these characters. The characters are so relatable. Anna and Frankie are typical teenagers dealing with peer pressure and temptation along the way. Frankie is a hoot and I found myself practically laughing at almost everything that came out of her mouth. She reminds me of one of my friends with her misuse of words. She’ll say, “I’m contempting changing my wardrobe.” I'll say, “It’s contemplating!” Anna and Frankie are BFs and they’re on a mission to have the A.B.S.E (Absolute Best Summer Ever) in Zanzibar Bay. Anna is keeping a secret from Frankie while trying to help her cope with the loss of Matt, but this vacation doesn’t go as planned when everything comes crashing down around them. What will these friends do to hold on to a bond that’s coming unglued by the storm and will they be able to survive it? Find out for yourself!

I did not want the story to end and found myself wondering about Anna’s and Frankie’s future. This is one of those books where I would love a sequel. How about it Sarah?

This is a great summer read, go check Twenty Boy Summer out!

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

30 comments:

  1. This sounds like an amazing read. Thanks for the superb review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked this book. I've been wanting to read it and won a copy from The Story Siren so I shouldn't have much longer to wait. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the reviews on this seem great! I can't wait to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never win contests, I think they are against me! LOl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this sounds like such an interesting plot - hope it lives up to it!

    BTW, I think my odds of winning this book are increasing only because several people are giving it away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the cover, sea glass
    just waiting to read it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read so many great reviews about this book which encouraged me to check it out :) thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great. I can't wait to read it

    elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the reviews for this book have been great which shows that it must honestly be a great book! Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't realize this was her first novel!

    mj.coward[at]gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have got to pick this one up! Any word on a sequel?

    ReplyDelete
  12. If the book does really well, maybe we will see a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice review! I have to read this one soon, everyone is talking about it.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Sounds like you really liked it! Makes me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your review sounds great! I can't wait to be able to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a great summer read! I'm due for a page turner!

    Cheers,
    julie.sherritt[at]gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. For some reason, this book never seemed to catch my eye, but after reading so many great reviews about it, I'm finding my self get more and more interested.

    This review did just that! Thank you for such an awesome review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the wonderful review, makes me want to read this one all that much more -- if it had you glued to it I'm sure I would like it also!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've seen Twenty Boy Summer "everywhere" lately and I've not seen anyone who didn't like this book and now there is a great review here as well! I must read this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like a good summer read. Sounds like my older girl may enjoy this book.
    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I want to read this book even moRe after this review! it sounds soooo good!

    sara

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't think I've heard a single negative review about this one. Of course, negative could be being crushed by Sarah's review-reading ninjas... but she's too nice to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The book looks absolutely great.... I really want to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love a book that you get glued to the pages! Anxious to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is really intriguing. Many bloggers have also posted positive reviews for this book. I just can't wait to read this book. Nice review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just from reading your review, I know that I'm gonna shed buckets of tears when I read this. I do hope the ending won't be so sad, though.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This book sounds like a perfect read for summer. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great review, I love books that you can't put down..

    ReplyDelete
  29. I read this book and instantly fell in love with it! It's amazingly written and it really taps into places in your heart you didn't know you had..

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!