nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Monday, June 8, 2009

Author Interview: Georgia Evans

USA Today best-selling Author, Georgia Evans is an expatriate Brit, retired special ed teacher and grandmother, who now lives in Ohio and has a wonderful time writing stories of vampires and shapeshifting pumas.

Can you tell us a little about your background/where are you from?
I'm English and grew up in the Mole Valley where the 'bloody' books are set.

When/Why did you begin writing?
Don't laugh! I started writing with the goal of publication 15 years ago- when my youngest went off to college. He made three in college at the same time and I thought it would be a quick way to make a bit of extra money- shows what I knew! By the time I realized it didn't happen like that, I was hooked and kept on writing until I finally sold my 5th finished book. (Just after the youngest graduated)

What inspired you to venture out from your Paranormal Romance novels to the Brytewood books?
Kate Duffy, my editors at Kensington asked me to write a WW2 set book. She rejected my first two ideas, but then bought the Brytewood trilogy.

Can you tell us more about your Brytewood books?
The books are set in September, October, and November 1940- just when invasion fear was at its height. Brytewood village is my own invention, set in the Mole Valley halfway between Leatherhead and Dorking - It's an area that was vital in Operation Selion - the German plans to invade the British Isles.

How did you come up with the title for your Brytewood Series?
I didn't. Kate did. They are far better than mine were. I'm not good with titles.

Do you have a specific writing style?
I don't really think so, I just write the stories as they come.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
Good lord, I'm not sure. You've stumped me there. Having three writing names perhaps?

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
Looking at my bookshelf and counting anthologies, but not foreign sales or reprints and including my other writing names, I have 37 titles. This trilogy is the first for Georgia.

What are your current projects?
A chapter I'm just finishing for a "How to' book on writing paranormal and fantasy, a new idea about lupomannaro - Italian werewolves from Basilicata where there's a strong folk lore tradition of werewolves and I've just started another book in my Rosemary Laurey "Forever' vampires series.

Do you have to travel much concerning your books?
A writers' conference in Matera was the inspiration for the Lupomannaro idea, (which I have yet to sell) and I did make a couple of trips back to Surry to fix the setting in my mind for the Brytwood books (haven't lived there since I was 21) also spent a day in the Imperial War Museum in London. Settings for my books are either places I've visited or lived in or imaginary. I don't seem to be able to write settings I don't know.

Is there anything additional you would like to share with your readers?
Readers who enjoy the "bloody' books might like to look at my Rosemary Laurey vampire series. And, of course, to say thank you for letting me warble on about my books.

Thanks Georgia!

For more information about Georgia Evans and her Brytewood Series, please visit her website. Bloody Awful - 2nd book in Brytewood Series is scheduled to be released July 09 and Bloody Right - 3rd book in Brytewood Series is scheduled to be released August 09.

24 comments:

  1. Wow, her books are just coming out right after another aren't they? That's cool though, b/c I really want to read the first one and if I like it, then I won't have to wait long for the rest. And yeah, writing about settings that are real and I've never been too are hard...so I stick with where I live, where I'v been, and imgaginary too.

    Nice interview. :)

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great author interview. The books sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. I cant wait to read this. I love how they are coming out a month apart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Her books are back to back in the next coming months...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool, sounds interesting. Big plus that the books come out so soon together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Interview but I have a question what are all the other names she writes under?Is it just the 2 names georgia & rosemary?I soo want to read this series sounds really intersting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview! I'm glad her books are coming out so quickly. When you get hooked on a series, it's so hard to wait forever for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview. And I really like that idea about the Italian Werewolves. I'll be watching for that series while I read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great interview! OMG, three writing names, how does she keep it all straight!

    Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like this book is going to be a great addition to the paranormal genre. Can't wait to read them, great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Georgia here;
    My three writing names are;
    Rosemary Laurey (paranormal and contemporary romance)
    Georgia Evans (Fantasy)
    Madeleine Oh (erotica)
    and keeping them straight is sometimes a bit of a challenge. More than once I've singed the wrong name in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great book. I cannot wait to read them especially since the 2nd and the 3rd book are both coming out right after each other.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this sounds cool. And I'm also really intrigued by your proposed Italian werewolves books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not usually terribly big on animated/cartoon-y covers but I do like these...I'll have to check out her website to find out more about these books.

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks cool. id like to read and share with my children as well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved how your writing came to you as your kids left off from home. I know I started reading LOTS when my children were older. I've rarely seen any set in WW2, so they sound so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the interview, some good questions!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great interview -- the book sounds great and I love that it's set in a different era then so many other vampire books!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved the interview and the book sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great interview. However, with my oldest entering college next year I was disappointed to hear that taking up writing might not be the best way to finance this.

    rsgrandinetti(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome interview! These books sound good!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!