nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Review: Another Faust by Daniel & Dina Nayeri

Another Faust by Daniel & Dina Nayeri
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Pub. Date: August 25, 2009
Age Range: Young Adult
400pp

Nothing in life is free and in the Faust household 5 teenagers are going to find out firsthand what happens when you sell your soul to get to the top…

Christian, Bice, Belle, Valentin & Victoria find themselves in a new city 5 years later after their mysterious disappearance only to emerge with special “gifts” that could change the course of their lives forever…

Another Faust is a beautifully written tale where sinister deeds grab you by the collar and submerge you into the pages until you’re left wondering if the prospect of REDEMPTION could sound any better.

What ultimately lead these characters to this particular point in time in Another Faust gave great insight on the characters motivations and what they wanted out of life. The “Dynamic Nayeri Duo” cleverly recreated a great story that dares you to take a second look. The writing was intricately woven where all actions had consequences that rippled throughout the lives of the teens to give the manipulative and diabolical Madame Vileroy what she wanted most.

I loved how the authors gave us glimpses into past lives that were affected by the Faustian Bargain and how it tied in perfectly with the storyline. I was captivated by how deep the rabbit hole went and devoured every single page. I stayed up in the wee hours of the night to finish this book. To quote James Bryce - “The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it.” Need I say more?

Can I say I loved to hate Victoria? Hate is such a strong word, so I’ll say I despised Victoria! She constantly had her hand in the cookie jar which is one of the reasons why I kept turning the pages. I.Wanted.To.Know – NO – I.Had.To.Know - With sinister deeds running amok, could these characters truly be redeemed?

Well, I got my answer and I’m still scratching my head thinking Maybe? Or What if?

Only Daniel & Dina can answer that question. Oh, where are my manners…you want to know what the question is? Well, Daniel & Dina have we seen the last of Madame Vileroy?

Check out my interview with this brother & sister duo here to find out the answer to this question!

I look forward to reading more of Daniel and Dina Nayeri’s books!

Rating: 4 ½ out of 5 Stars

38 comments:

  1. This sounds fab, thanks for the great review. Think I will put this on my tbr list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is so intriguing...love the idea of Faustian bargain, and consequences, for teenagers. I also think that it'll be really interesting to read the Nayeri's take on human failings and frailties. Thanks for a solid review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really curious to read this book - I've heard so many different opinions about it. It is just such a cool idea...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read this so bad! I've heard such fabulous reviews (like this one) about this book. I love all their names too, they work well with the look of the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have heard mixed reviews about this book, I am curious and I may wait for my library to get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good.It's on my TBR list(:

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book looks so great! I cannot wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great sounding book! I think I will have to read this one.
    wandanamgreb (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am curious to read this book thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the story of this book as it cound interesting which makes me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo, this one looks pretty good. Can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The past lives thing was my favorite feature too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A unique book idea. Looks Interesting!!

    brittanynoelle (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome review. I am really looking forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am dying for this one! Love the cover so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been dying to read this book. It sounds so good. I didn't realize it was part of a series though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This book sounds sooo Good!. I'm dying to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This book sounds amazing! I really really really want to read it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. sounds fantastic! I love how one person described it as Gossip Girl meets Twilight (although I didn't really like Twilight). Are the books in the Another series going to be connected to each other, picking up where one left off?

    ReplyDelete
  20. This has been on my tbr list for awhile and I can't wait to read. It sounds so interesting. Thanks for the fantastic review.

    ReplyDelete
  21. If this book is anything like Gossip Girl, OR Twilight, then I have to have it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love bad characters that are well written enough that you can like and hate them at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay, you make this sound fantastic. I need to read this now. Sinister deeds running amok? What could be better than that?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the review! This seems like such an awesome and original book.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been wanting to read this for a while! Thanks to your lovely review I want to read it even more, haha. Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It sounds great I need to read it =)
    DO we know if there will be a follow up?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good review! The story sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can't wait to read this! Sounds complex and interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This book looks good...I have seen in it in the bookstore and have been curious about it. Thanks for the great review! :)

    Froggy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Shawna Lewis
    weloveourdogs@juno.com


    Oh I really want to read this book it looks so darn good and the review was wonderful thanks so much for it. I agree with you on staying up late to read it I would do the same!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I definitely need to go pick up this book!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I found this book a wonderful story, but I don't know the original tale. As and individual work I found it a perfect read, and read the entire book in fourteen hours straight, unable to put it down. I convinced my cousin to read it as well, and she adored it, too. the end was huge, and I'd say that this would be a good book to re-read, for a better understanding of its concept.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Enchanting and intriguing, Another Faust is well-suited for teens who enjoy Twilight and other vampire books. But it's a novel that also reaches higher, with characters that are both clever and cool. This modern day Faust tale is the first in the "Another Series." The authors, a brother and sister team, are creating a sequel called Another Pan. Keep your eye on this series and this pair of writers.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The book concept i will give good credit to but for me the plot was just to slow and simple.. i like a book thats detailed and makes you think a little.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!