nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Review: The Tear Collector by Patrick Jones

The Tear Collector by Patrick Jones
Publisher: Walker & Company
Pub. Date: September 01, 2009
Age Range: Young Adult
272pp

Synopsis
Fans of urban fantasy should prepare for a new kind of vampire–one that feeds off of tears instead of blood. Descended from an ancient line of creatures that gain their energy from human tears, Cassandra Gray depends on human sorrow to live. Only Cass has grown tired of living this life and wants to live like a human, especially now that she's met someone worth fighting for.

Review
Jones introduces us to a new world where sorrow and grief is fed upon and celebrated like no other...

Cassandra Gray is a new breed of vampire that feeds off of human emotions through tears, she constantly finds herself questioning her true nature and the possibility of going against everything she’s ever known…

The Tear Collector is the first book I’ve read by Patrick Jones and I’m thrilled to say it won’t be the last. Jones introduced readers to a new kind of vampire and it’s always refreshing to see a different spin on these supernatural beings than the trend that’s out now with blood sucking and all. Supernatural aside, I think readers can relate to the characters in this book as they go through day to day activities dealing with family and high school drama. Cass, although a Vampire has the same issues I think we can relate to as far as wanting to live your own life and not have to constantly sacrifice to make others happy. Scott is a sweetheart and I love his strength and tenacity.

These pages flowed effortlessly for me as I enjoyed Patrick’s writing style. The Tear Collector gives readers a perfect combination of romance, drama and suspense. I look forward to seeing what’s in store for Cassandra as she takes a big step in the next chapter of her life.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

37 comments:

  1. This book looks great! I'm definitely going to be picking up a copy-I love vampires and new takes on some of my favorite supernatural beings are always welcome!

    shutupimreading.blogspot.com
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool Ive been looking forward to this one:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good read. Great review!

    ~ Popin

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one sounds great, sounds like it has a different spin on the vamp idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this twist...in a way, tears are harder to come by than fresh blood, yes? My mind boggles at the thought of living off of them...pretty miserable existence, really! I'm looking forward to reading this one - good review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. I love it when books that I want to read turn out to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I can't wait for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the concept of tears instead of blood.
    How unique.

    Look'n forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a really cool idea -- tears instead of blood. Or emotional vampires, persay. I wanna read it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting vampire concept. A great twist on vampires.
    wandanamgreb (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This review just makes me want to read the book MORE! Awesome Review!
    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. good writing style I am so game! I am dying for a good writing style... wait i am reading Ellen Hopkins. NO I was right I need good writing style EH is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice review. I feel like vampires can become played out, but itlooks like the plot to this one sounds really unique.

    Also, in my comment on the author interview I referred to the author as Scott, I meant to say Patrick for the record, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds so amazing. I love the cover and everything else about it!
    Great review!!

    -Arielle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The plot reminds me a bit of when they talk about banshee tears. Was that a Kim Harrison book? God, I read too many books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice review! I really want this book! I think it seems so interesting. And original! I'll get my hands on it somehow...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review! This story sounds really good. I've never heard of vampires who feed on something that's not blood. Definitely original. Thanks for letting us know about this book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had the pleasure of reading an ARC of Patrick's novel and I was hooked till the very last page.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wasn't planning on reading the book, but after reading your review, I really want to read it, NOW!:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review! I have wanted to read this since the first time I read the synopsis. Its neat how vampires live off tears instead of blood, very original.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Interesting....a vampire who feeds off tears instead of blood. That alone made this book get on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i really want this book. I like that Patrick make his vamps different, i mean its so weird(in a good way) they feed off tears.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Teenage drama is pretty draining. :P And there's so much emotion behind it that I could see that being a life force.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree with you, I love originality and The Tear Collector sounds like it would be an interesting take on vampires.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would LOVE to read this book! I LOVE reading!!

    Thankyou!! :D:D

    -Lindsay

    lindsay15photo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm glad to hear good things about this book. The premise sounds so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Been dying to read this book! The take of the vampire in this book is very innovative.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice review. Its intrigued by how the vampires collect tears instead of blood. I can't wait to read this book and see how it plays out in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks really interesting and original...Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Shawna Lewis
    weloveourdogs@juno.com

    Been wanting to read this book for awhile now thanks for conforming it!!!! Thanks for this wonderful review :O)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh God, I want to read this book so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great review! I've been wondering about his book for a few months now. I like that he stepped out of the box and came up a new vampire, very cool. The idea of vamps feeding off our negative emotion is really quite fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love vampire books and this has tears instead of blodd, whcih is really interesting. I need to read this book!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!