nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Review: Violet Wings by Victoria Hanley

Violet Wings by Victoria Hanley
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Pub. Date: August 25, 2009
Age Range: 12 and up
288pp

Hanley transported me on a fantastical journey in the world of Feyland where I glimpsed an enchanting tale of friendship, discovery and betrayal.

In the world of Feyland, Zaria has become one of the most powerful fairies in Feyland’s history and you know what they say “With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility.” Zaria discovers a diabolical plot spinning its web over Feyland. Her life has become infested with wicked deeds and her will is about to be tested. Can she survive the tyrannical labyrinth that’s trying to influence her? Zaria enlists her closest allies to help uncover the conspiracy that has be leeching off of Feyland and the mysteries surrounding her family’s disappearance.

Instead of world building background descriptions, Hanley cleverly introduces a world full of magical creatures with fascinating entries by Feyland’s Historian to intertwine perfectly with the magical background of this novel. I love everything about Hanley’s world of Tirfeyne especially the descriptions of differences between each magical creature and their perceptions of other species’ magical capabilities. I also enjoyed reading about the inner workings of the Council and how Feyland’s magical hierarchy was determined. The magical spells were even great!

I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed reading this book, but then I would be spoiling it for everyone else, so I’m going to leave you with – Hanley crafted a wonderful tale of unforgettable characters in a world where fairies, genies, gnomes, humans and magic collide to transport readers on a magical journey where you’re compelled to turn the pages only to realize that once the story ends you were left Feyland-Struck.

With the way Violet Wings ended, I can’t wait to devour the pages in the sequel!

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

21 comments:

  1. I recently heard about this book,I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your written review makes me even more anxious to read the book!!
    wandanamgreb (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so cool! I like the addition of genies into the world of fairies...that would make for some interesting and unexpected situations, I think. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I'm really excited to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your review, really makes me wanna read this book even more now ;]

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A world of fairy's - this is all so new to me...but I would love to read this. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to get my hands on this book, it looks great! I've been getting a bit tired of fairy stories lately, but this one seems unique (so it's definitely worth a read). Thanks for keeping the review spoiler-free.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only heard great things about this book ever since I heard about it! I'm so excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this book sounds great and I've never heard of it before. It's definitely going on my TBR list.

    I also have an award for you here Debbie's World of Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really good. Can't wait to read it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a different book than what I would usually read.. but I might try it out! Faeries are very popular this year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review, it sounds really good. I really want to read this one, it's on my wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review. It really sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review! I'm sure we could all use a literary vacation. It'd sure be cheaper than a real one!!

    -Britt
    brittanynoelle (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  16. new faery book.
    cant effen wait

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome, now i cant wait to read it! (=

    ReplyDelete
  18. Once I read the book description, and later read your review I was able to appreciate it a little more. The reason being that you did not summarize the description but instead gave a little more about the book, making me more interested.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I REALLY WANT to read this book!!
    Thankyou!! :D:D:D

    -Lindsay

    lindsay15photo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah. Maze. Ing! That's all that can be send for this mystical, page turning novel for kids 10+. When I first began the book I was sceptical, but a couple of pages in and I was entranced by the beauty of the story and word choice. The characters are believable, with bad characteristics as well as the good, making it seem you can really connect with them, especially with Zaria, of whom the story is based around. This is such a delicate and creative story, never in my life have I read anything so beautiful. I cannot wait for the second book, Indigo Bottle (renamed Indigo Magic), which is out April 2012! Definitely worth a read.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!