nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Author Interview: Megan Crewe

I'm thrilled to welcome Megan Crewe today as she talks about her debut novel Give Up the Ghost. Megan Crewe lives in Toronto, Canada, with her husband and two cats (and does on occasion say "eh"). She tutors children and teens with special needs, and spends most of her free time reading everything she can get her hands on. Give Up the Ghost was released today.

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I always wanted to write--I've been making up stories and writing them down for as long as I can remember. I didn't start thinking of it as something I might do as a career until I was around 10 years old. I had a teacher who encouraged me, and I started sharing my stories with classmates and seeing that they enjoyed them, too, and that made me think maybe I could be a "real" writer. :)

What inspired you to write Give Up the Ghost?
An image popped into my head of a girl talking to her sister, just an everyday conversation, except her sister was a ghost. I loved the idea of writing about a character who had embraced her odd ability, and figuring out how she'd gotten to this point in her life.

How did you research for Give Up the Ghost?
GHOST didn't actually require much in the way of research--I'd already read quite a bit about ghosts, and I drew on my own school experiences and those I'd heard about from friends. I did find the book ODD GIRL OUT by Rachel Simmons quite helpful in developing Cass's backstory (it's about social bullying among teen girls).

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
Thankfully, I've never been bullied or known someone who was bullied close to the extent that Cass was. Nor have I ever seen a ghost. Some of the settings are based on places in my life, though--parts of the school echo my high school, and the lake area is very similar to the beaches on Lake Ontario in my city.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in writing your book?
I learned that sometimes a book needs to be written in first person! That might sound silly, but the books I'd written before GHOST (now trunked) were all in third person, so I assumed GHOST would be, too. But right from the start Cass insisted on telling the story herself. That ended up being a welcome surprise, because her voice is one of my favorite things about the book.

What can we expect from you in the future/Are there any other projects you’re working on?
I'm always working on other projects, all YA at the moment, some paranormal, some fantasy. :) And I hope to be able to share news about them soon, but at the moment I cannot.

Is there anything you would like to share with the readers?
If you're interested in finding out more about behind the scenes stuff like the book soundtrack, or giving the first chapter a read for free, stop by the GIVE UP THE GHOST section of my website. ( www.megancrewe.com/gutg ) I also welcome e-mails from readers, so don't be shy if you've got something you'd like to say!


Thanks Megan!

For more information about Megan Crewe and Give Up the Ghost, please visit her website here.

36 comments:

  1. Great interview. I didn't know she was a fellow Canuck :) eh!! I look forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard several great reviews for this book, she seems like a very down to Earth author. This is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting that Megan didn't have to do much research for GHOST. I think that would make the writing process a little shorter at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's interesting about writing in the first person vs third person. Great interview Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh very neat! The inspiration behind the story is pretty cool as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope we'll have another book by Megan soon. I love Give Up The Ghost!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome interview! I think its interesting how she went from always writing third person to first.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking foward to reading this book! Love how the inspiration for Give Up The Ghost came to her. Nice interview!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thrilled that she is Canadian! Awesome interview.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard great things about her and her writing. I can't wait to read this. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to find what she's working on right now =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what great insight into what makes the book what it is. :) Now I'm even more determined to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview! I'm glad the book is written in first person...I tend to find myself liking the characters more

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice interview. I really liked reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's cool that Cass demanded to have her story told a certain way! I love that. :}

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this concept and it's something I can share with my teens lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome interview. This is on my to read list, and I like to hear from the author. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great interview! I think authors are great when they care about what their readers have to say. I can't wait to read Give Up the Ghost!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looking forward to reading! Megan seems like a really good person.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome interview. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love to get to know the authors. thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great Interview :)
    I cant wait to see what next!!!!

    DeniseMAdness

    ReplyDelete
  23. I found it interesting that this book is written in the first person. I tend to like it when authors do that since it makes you feel like you know this character better since you are privy to her/his thoughts.

    Cherie J
    cherierj(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great interview! I have a difficult time writing in the first person too. It's so easy on my blog, just not in stories.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Megan! I think that it is amazing that you work with special needs kiddos...that has to be very rewarding.

    I am really looking forward to reading Give Up the Ghost. I think it sounds very interesting. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great interview! I enjoy the first person point of view, it makes it easier to connect with a character

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love that Megan was encouraged by her teacher. I have a number of students who are incredible writers. Hopefully they feel encouraged by me and will continue to write in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome interview! I’m glad that Megan didn’t do too much research and just used the knowledge she already knew to write. Sometimes it annoys me when a book contains too much researched Info/Facts because it draws out the book, when all I really want to know is what’s going to happen next (for example, although I enjoyed the Eragon books I would sometimes skip multiple paragraphs due to their boring and sometimes useless nature [though that’s just my opinion])

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great interview. I really liked the questions you asked.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love how the main character just HAD to tell the story a certain way. :)
    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've heard lots of great things about this book! I'm off to go check out the book soundtrack! Thanks for the interview!

    Natalie @ Mindful Musings

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for the great interview. I'm looking forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I wasn't aware that Give Up the Ghost involved bullying, but that probably makes it the perfect book for revenge on bullies! I love paranormal books and hope to get a chance to read it someday!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I can't wait to read your next paranormal book as well as Give Up the Ghost. I can't wait to hear Cass "tell" me her story!

    ReplyDelete
  35. It is good to hear she is working on some more books. Great interview.

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!