nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Review: Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough

Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Pub. Date: September 2009
Age Range: Young Adult
304pp

Tamsin Greene comes from a long line of witches, and she was supposed to be one of the most Talented among them. But Tamsin's magic never showed up. Now seventeen, Tamsin attends boarding school in Manhattan, far from her family. But when a handsome young professor mistakes her for her very Talented sister, Tamsin agrees to find a lost family heirloom for him. The search—and the stranger—will prove to be more sinister than they first appeared, ultimately sending Tamsin on a treasure hunt through time that will unlock the secret of her true identity, unearth the sins of her family, and unleash a power so vengeful that it could destroy them all. This is a spellbinding display of storytelling that will exhilarate, enthrall, and thoroughly enchant.

Once a Witch is a great story with a splendid storyline that had me wrapped up into the suspense surrounding Tamsin’s life. This book has a nice flow to it and reading it felt effortless and the plot flowed perfectly together. Once a Witch is an exciting read and kept me turning the pages. I’ve not read too many stories about witches but Once a Witch is a great addition to the supernatural world. I loved the time travel aspect of the story which only made the book more exciting and I got quite a few laughs out of it too.

The characters in Once a Witch are quite interesting with the uniqueness of their family and rituals and the different abilities that they have. Tamsin feels like an outsider in her own family of witches because she never developed a “talent.” I’m sure readers can relate to having an older sibling who everyone thinks is the golden child who’s constantly in the spotlight. So, I can see why Tamsin acts the way she does in wanting to prove something to everyone. Tamsin seems somewhat of the rebel in the family which made her even more interesting. Then there’s the gorgeous Gabriel, one of my favorite characters in this book. Gabriel enters back into Tamsin’s life and his background & “talent” is just as interesting plus he kept me laughing throughout this book. I hope I’ll get to see more of him in the next installment.

I love the whole idea of a family of witches and how each had these amazing powers. One of my favorite scenes in this book was the poker game – I was laughing so hard! There were times where this book reminded me of one of my favorite TV Series – Charmed. I can’t wait to read the sequel Always a Witch!

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

32 comments:

  1. Great review. i really want to read this. Any book with Witches is good with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I look forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited that there will be another book. I have not read this yet, but I know I will love it. I have only read a few witch books, but I have loved each one so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an awesome read! I love the idea of a witch family.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to read this one either. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time travelling can be tricky to write about. I'd love to read the book to find out what way the author decided to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know there was a sequel planned. Interesting. I've added them both to my TBR list. Thanks for the review!

    Mindful Musings Book Blog

    ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love Charmed. I usually enjoy any well-written story with witches in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good. I can't wait to read it(:

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm looking forward to reading this one as well. Thanks for the review.

    -Rylie
    bcanyon at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to see this got a good review. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm really excited that this book focuses on witchcraft. It has been too long since I've seen a supernatural YA with a witchcraft focus!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Intriguing review. I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love reading about witches! This sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love reading about witches too :)

    ughhhh, after this review I must have this book now x)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to read this one. I've heard nothing but awesome things. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice review. I haven't read any books that centered around witches so might try this one out

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice! This sounds really good, I love time travel and Tamsin sounds really relatable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. great interview and I know from reading it my son would like this one too cause it not just about the girl

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving the character's name, Tasmin. Very unique. Looking forward to reading about the witch family! Sounds entertaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Opps, spelled her name wrong! DOH! Tamsin! Tasmin....ha.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Family of whitches this sound like my kind of book I cant waite to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tina~

    Another great review and I am glad that I stumbled onto your site. I will be stopping by lots now.

    I really enjoy books that can make you laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love those 'family of witches' type stories. Like Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like you review. It makes me all excited about reading it even more :P

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great review! I am so excited to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's a very unique book.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I didn't even realize there was already a sequel in the works! I've been waiting to read this for a while, so I'm happy to hear you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the review. I love the name of the main character in this book - Tamsin.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This sounds really awesome! Time travel rocks. lol. Like you, I haven't read very many witch books. The only ones I can even think of right now are the Marissa Doyle books, which are great. Loved your review and I'm looking forward to reading this for myself.

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the idea of family witches too. It is so interesting. Great review! :D

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love witch stories. Does anyone else miss Charmed? I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!