nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Review: Give Up the Ghost by Megan Crewe

Give Up the Ghost by Megan Crewe
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)
Pub. Date: September 15, 2009
Age Range: Young Adult
256pp

Cass McKenna much prefers ghosts to “breathers.” Ghosts are uncomplicated and dependable. They know the dirt on everybody . . . and Cass loves dirt.

She’s on a mission to expose the dirty secrets of all of the poseurs in her school. But when the vice president of the student council discovers her secret, Cass’s whole scheme hangs in the balance. Timwants her help to contact his recently deceasedmother, but Cass is less than enthusiastic.

Kicking and screaming, Cass becomes increasingly entwined in Tim’s life. And she’s more surprised than anyone when she realizes that maybe some living people aren’t so bad if she’d only give them a chance.

Cassie McKenna has been an outcast since Jr. High and she wants payback. Lucky for her she has help finding out her fellow student’s deepest and darkest secrets from the dead – Ghosts that is…

Crewe’s Give Up the Ghost is a pleasantly light paranormal read. I was able to read this book is one sitting, I enjoyed it so much! This is the first ghost book that I’ve read that didn’t give me the heeby jeebies, which was a surprise in itself. Cass is a loner and with her only friends being ghosts, I felt bad for her and enjoyed seeing her dish out the dirt on the students that she called poseurs. Hey how could I not like her “tell like it is” attitude even if the info came from ghosts? But when it really came to what mattered most, I was glad to see Cass’s transformation to finally opening up to Tim and letting him see a different side of her. To be honest, *sigh* It was sweet!

Give Up the Ghost flowed easily and I really liked the direction Crewe went with the story. I really didn’t expect Tim’s character to change so drastically but Hey, I think I enjoyed the book more because of it. I was thinking this book could go in so many directions and was quite surprised and delighted in how it actually ended.

Here’s to hoping for a sequel! I look forward to seeing where Megan takes her books. This book kind of reminded me of Ghost Whisperer a little bit but not in a creepy way.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars.

39 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I love Ghost Whisperer, so that is a plus! This book looks really good and I've been hearing good things about it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I was a little worried about what type of book this would be with the ghosts, but thank you for clearing that up. I definitely hope I can get my hands on this one soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Tina, like always ;]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review! I've been wanting to read this one. Plus I love a book I can read in one sitting.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review.This book is at the top of my list to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is on my list. I am glad it is an easy read, I am in the mood for something light and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I can't wait to read this one, it sounds sounds amazing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute! Ghost stories are always welcome in my TBR pile and this one sounds especially unique.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review, this book looks really light and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always been a big fan of ghosts, so this sounds right up my alley. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the review -- I'm looking forward to reading this book.

    -Rylie
    bcanyon at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a total fan of Ghost Whisperer, and I'm sure i'll love this book to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a Ghost Wisperer too so I'm hoping that I will like this book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm really looking forward to reading this book! It sounds sweet.

    Have you read the Mediator series by Meg Cabot? They're really good and won't give you the "heeby jeebies" ;P

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is in my TBR pile- it looks so good! Nice review(:

    ReplyDelete
  16. I cannot WAIT to get my hands on this! Awesome review, it made me want it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I want to read this more than ever now. I am a serious ghost freak, and any book dealing with them is a must read on my list! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review! It totally made me want to know more about Tim's character and how/why he changed!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was fantastic review! ;} Seriously though, this book sounds really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't wait to read! I am somewhat of a loner, so I can sympathize.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing your review! I can't wait to read this novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds good will definitely have to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. THis book Is in my to read book Im glad that you liked the book (*_*)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Enjoyed your review! I was anxious to know more about the story since this is on my wish list. I like that it is not creepy considering it involves ghosts and that was one of my concerns.

    Cherie J
    cherierj(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've seen this book at Barnes and Noble and wondered how orignial of a story it is. This is the second good review I've read. I feel comfortable buying it now!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great review. I have been looking forward to reading this and am glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I, also, really like Ghost Whisperer...so, that is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great review! This definitely sounds like a good read. I am adding it to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I used to be a fan of The Ghost Whisperer and I love ghost stories. This one intrigues me because you said it is not super creepy. That means I can read this one after dark and not worry about sleeping peacefully! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  29. This sounds like an awesome book! I really love supernatural books and it will be fun to see ghosts portrayed in such a non-evil way compared to the usual ‘I will kill you’ and ‘I must have revenge' ghosts.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cool review. You made it sound very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This books seems so wonderful. And your review just made me want to read it more-sounds unpredictable. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Glad you enjoyed it! This book has been on my TBR list for awhile, but I haven't gotten around to reading it.

    "I was thinking this book could go in so many directions and was quite surprised and delighted in how it actually ended."

    Love it when that happens!

    Natalie @ Mindful Musings

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for the review. I'm glad to hear that this book didn't give you heeby jeebies. I like to read ghost stories but not when they scare me!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love paranormal books, and this one sounds so cute!!! It's rare to see a ghost story that is more fun than scary, so I'd really like to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I really want to read this book. I'm glad that you thought it was as good as I'm hoping it's going to be!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This wasn't really my favorite book but it was still pretty good and I'd definitely re-read it. I'm really glad you liked it so much. :)

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!