nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Review: Ash by Malinda Lo

Ash by Malinda Lo
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pub. Date: September 2009
Age Range: Young Adult
272pp

Malinda Lo delivers a compelling and unforgettable story in the retelling of Cinderella where magical elements and sacrifices for newfound love flourish…

Ash’s grief from losing loved ones takes hold of her and sends her on a downward spiral where she soon finds herself willing to be swept away by the magic of old tales told during her childhood in hopes of changing the past. Forced to serve her Stepmother and stepsisters to pay off her father’s debts, Ash longs to be taken away from her dreadful surroundings. After braving a trip in the Woods where rumors of fairies reside, Ash meets Sidhean, a mysteriously frightening fairy that she immediately connects to. Ash believes that Sidhean is the key to changing her life and through their friendship Ash finds hope. When Ash meets Kaisa, the King’s Huntress everything that Ash thought she wanted changes.

Ash is forced to make a decision that will change her life forever…

I enjoyed the new twist that Malinda Lo put in the retelling of Cinderella. While Ash has plenty of remnants from the original story of Cinderella, the differences gave the story so much more depth. The choices that Ash has to make concerning Sidhean and Kaisa were intriguing and kept me turning the pages. These characters were likeable and it was nice to see their relationships grow. I felt so bad for Ash and everything she lost, and it was nice to see how she got her own fairytale ending.

Ash is a refreshing retake on Cinderella and I look forward to reading more of Malinda Lo’s novels.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

32 comments:

  1. This sounds good, thanks for the review! I think I'm going to wait for the UK edition of this, as I prefer the cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Review. I am excited to read this, I loved Cinderella in its original form and this sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review! I love fairytale rettelings, and the darkness in this one intrigues me. I'm looking forward to reading this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh boy, this sounds better than the origional cinderella!

    ~haleyknitz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review.i look forward to reading Ash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review!!! it's already on my tbr list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definatly reading this book, I loved Cinderella as a kid, and I loved EverAfter as a teen.
    Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to read this book. thankyou for telling us about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to read this book! It looks sooo good! Retellings are awesome- and Cinderella? Heck yes! Count me in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks so good! OMFG I honestly hate that my small town doesnt have this yet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your interview certainly has increased my desire to read this book.
    wandanamgreb (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it when authors take old stuff and make it new with a fun and interesting twist! This looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds intriguing. I like that it doesn’t sound like the book is all sweet and nice but that there is still a fairytale ending.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the review! Just makes me want to read it ALOT more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a great book -- I'm looking forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review! I can't wait to read her book!

    -Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the review! I love fairytale retellings, and Ash sounds very original and unique from Cinderella.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too enjoy fairytales retellings! This one sounds interesting, especially since the author gave it a few new twists!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, I love retellings. and Cinderella...I guess that this is my kind of book them! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice Review, I excited to read this book as Ash is a retelling of Cinderella, one of my favourite fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This books looks good and...interesting

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Cinderealla remakes! Especially ones as unconventional as I hear this one is!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have the arc, but I have not had a chance to read it yet with all the other releases. It sounds great though!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fairy tale retellings, and especially retellings with a twist, are a favorite genre of mine (if they are their own separate genre...?), so this sounds really awesome. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love retellings of old fairy tales.

    Valorie
    morbidromantic@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great review. I have always loved fairy tales. I look forward to reading Ash.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been hearing a lot about this book, I like fairy tales :) I can't wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome review. This book sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  29. From your review, and the bio of the author, I'm curious if this is going to be among the brave few YA books that brings up gay/lesbian themes.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like the way you compared this story to Cinderella. I think you did a great job!

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!