nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Author Interview: Becca Fitzpatrick

I'm beyond thrilled to be featuring Becca Fitzpatrick and her debut novel this week. Becca has taken time out to answer some questions about her writing. Becca grew up reading Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden with a flashlight under the covers. She graduated college with a degree in health, which she promptly abandoned for storytelling. When not writing, she's most likely prowling sale racks for reject shoes, running, or watching crime dramas on TV. HUSH, HUSH is her first novel and it's in stores today!

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I was actually very young, about eight years old, and I'd just finished watching the movie Romancing the Stone with Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner. Kathleen Turner's character plays a romance novelist who flies to Colombia to rescue her sister from Really Bad Guys, and ends up finding romance and danger that surpasses anything she's ever written. As soon as I saw the movie, there was no turning back. I knew I wanted to be an author. Of course, I thought all writers hunted for treasure in Colombia with a sexy, mysterious guy who wears crocodile boots!

How did Hush, Hush originate?
It took me five years to write Hush, Hush (I know! I'm slow!) but the very first inspiration for the story came from an experience in my own tenth-grade biology class. We must have been studying human reproduction, because my teacher asked me, in front of the whole class, to name characteristics I would be attracted to in a mate (again, I know!!) I sat next to a really cute boy, and the thought of naming characteristics I might look for in a mate was a humiliation I was not about to subject myself to. But the experience always stuck with me, and when I sat down to write Hush, Hush, that little piece of my history evolved into an early scene in the book.

How did you come up with the title?
I don't know! I honestly can't remember. I've been asked this question a few times now, and as hard as I search my memory, I can't pinpoint where the inspiration came from. But I'm certain it had something to do with all the secrets in the book. One character in particular, Patch, is very good at keeping secrets, and I think right from the first page, one of the driving forces that will keep readers glued to the pages will be trying to figure out if Patch is the good guy...or the bad guy. I dare you to figure it out!

How do you go about researching your novels?
Most of the research I did for Hush, Hush circled around Judeo-Christian mythology of fallen angels. All I can say is, there are lots of varying opinions out there in regards to fallen angels! Which, of course, is the nice thing about fiction – I was able to give them my own unique spin.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in writing your book?
That I could finish. I could write a beginning, a middle and an end. And not just any old beginning, middle and end, but a beginning, middle and end that actually told a story – a compelling story. It was a pretty powerful revelation. I still have rough days where everything I write feels like perfect trash, but now that I've overcome that biggest obstacle, I have a lot more confidence. It's a great feeling!

Can you share a teaser with us/what can we expect from Hush, Hush?
Absolutely. How's this?

Patch's eyes were black orbs. Taking in everything and giving away nothing. Not that I wanted to know more about Patch. Since I hadn't liked what I'd seen on the surface, I doubted I'd like what was lurking deep inside.

Only, this wasn't exactly true. I'd liked a lot of what I'd seen. Long, lean muscles down his arms, broad but relaxed shoulders, and a smile that was part playful, part seductive. I was at an uneasy alliance with myself, trying to ignore what had started to feel irresistible.

Are there any other projects you’re working on?
Right now I'm working on Crescendo, the tentative title of the sequel to Hush, Hush. It has been such a fun experience, and I'm absolutely dying to see what readers think. Of course, I'm going to be in agony for a while, since its release date is still over a year away. That's one of the funny things about being an author – we're always working so far ahead. A project I'm finishing up right now might not hit shelves for another two years. If nothing else, this business will teach you patience!

Is there any additional information that you would like to share?
Only to say thanks so much for having me here on your blog!


Thanks Becca!

For more information about Becca Fitzpatrick and her books, please visit her website here.

9 comments:

  1. Great interview! That 'teaser' was something else... :) I can't wait to read Hush, Hush!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great teaser. I should get my copy today, I am curious to read it. I have been hearing mixed reviews. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. I can't wait to read this book. My copy is probably sitting in my mail box right now.YAY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome interview! It's great to hear more about Becca, she seems like such a nice lady! Looking forward to reading the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becca is an awesome person! I loved Hush, Hush and I hope she has great success on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Tina!!! Not just for this, but for everything. You're made of awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb review! Twas fun to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great review! I can't wait to read Hush Hush!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What was that teacher thinking?! In fifth grade? She's lucky no parents complained lol. I remember our reproduction class was very boring as if the teacher couldn't get through it fast enough. Good luck with Crescendo!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!