nav-home nav_about nav_reviews nav_interviews nav_features nav-contact

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Unorthodox Review: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Pub. Date: October 2009
400pp
Age Range: Young Adult

So after reading Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick something unexpected happened. This is my story:

Leaving my house around 6:25pm, I headed out the door and I thought, just my luck on one of the most important days of my life, it’s raining cats and dogs.

I hopped into my car and raced to my appointment in hopes of not being late. I finally arrived at the building with 3 minutes to spare. I jumped out my car without grabbing an umbrella and jogged to the entrance. As I’m walking down the hall, I see my reflection in the mirror. “God I look horrid! “ You know that look – like you’ve been dumped over the head with a bucket of water. “Oh, well there’s nothing I can do about that now.”

Finally this is it. I’m standing at the entrance of the door that could be my possible salvation. I take a deep breath and try to control my nerves as much as possible. “Here goes nothing,” I knock on the door.

Dr. Chen opens the door. “Hi Tina, it’s so nice to see you again. Come in, what can I do for you today?”

I make my way over to the couch across from Dr. Chen’s desk and take a seat. At this point everything imaginable is going through my head.

“Uh-hum,” Dr. Chen clears his throat rescuing me from my jumbled thoughts.

“I’m so sorry to disturb you at such a late hour, but I needed someone to talk to.”

“No worries, my door is always open for you, now what seems to be the matter?”

I shake my head. “I don’t know where to start.”

“Now, now my dear, It will be alright." He coos. "Just start from the beginning.”

His voice is soothing. “It all started with this book I read.”

Dr. Chen arches a brow. “A book you say?”

“Yes, it’s called Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick.”

Dr. Chen nods. “Ok, go on.”

I couldn’t take this, so I blurted. “I think I’m obsessed Dr. Chen!” There. It’s out. I’ve said it.

Dr. Chen looks confused. “What makes you think that dear?”

“There’s this character in the book named Patch and he’s all I ever think about. I don’t know what’s wrong with me!”

He squints and eyes me curiously. “What do you mean he’s all you think about?”

Oh My God. I bet he thinks I’m crazy! And as if he could read my mind, he says.

“Tina, whatever you tell me stays between us, Patient – Doctor Confidentiality.” This is reassuring, so I go on.

“Dr. Chen, I seem to be obsessed with a fictional character! Is that normal?”

“Hmm,” he nods. “I see, well let me just grab my journal and see if we can put your mind at ease.”

He walks over to his bookshelf and grabs a journal and flips to a page.

“Yes, Yes here it is.” He slides the journal over to me and points at a photo on the page. I’m taken back by the photo staring up at me. It’s a photo of Edward Cullen, but that’s not what catches my attention, it’s the photo next to it of a dark haired, dark eyed Angel that seem to see right into your soul. Patch Cipriano.

I look up at Dr. Chen accusingly. “What is this? Why do you have pictures of fictional characters? Is this some kind of joke?”

He shakes his head. “I’m afraid not Tina. What you see here is a typical case of Hush, Hush fanaticism.”

“What? What exactly does that mean?”

“It’s rather simple really, Tina what you are experiencing is quite normal.”

“Normal? How is this obsession normal?”

“Let me put your mind at ease dear, you are not the only one who’s experienced this.”

“I’m not!” I can’t believe it. I breathe a sigh of relief, then point to the picture of Patch. “How do I fix th-th-this? Whatever this is?”

Dr. Chen smirks. “Quite easily actually, all you have to do is reread the book until he’s out of your system.”

“Huh? Is that possible?”

“Of Course!” He points to the photo of Patch. “Now, why don’t you tell me how you came to be obsessed with this character Patch?”

“Do you think it will help?”

“I most certainly do!”

I take a deep breath and tell him my story.

If I didn’t know anything about this book, I don’t think I would ever have thought that Hush, Hush was Fitzpatrick’s debut novel. The writing is brilliant! Becca took me on a journey and I was thoroughly entertained. I was caught up in the world wind of Nora & Patch at the first page, this book is addictive and I could not put it down for one minute. I broke all my review rules to read this book and that’s saying a lot!

Fitzpatrick did a fantastic job with the characters in Hush, Hush. I laughed throughout this book at Nora and Vee’s conversations and strange dealings. These characters are so relatable paranormal aside. This is one of the reasons I love this book, these characters are downright fun and entertaining.

What can I say about Patch? Tall, Dark & Dangerously Sexy! I don’t know why he’s so alluring, maybe it’s because he’s a Bad Boy. Whatever it is, Becca did an incredible job portraying him and I can finally confess that Patch is my new fictional crush! I found myself smiling throughout this whole book.

I love when a book can keep me guessing. This book kept me turning the pages for so many reasons. I had to know what would happen next, whether it was for sizzling scenes with Patch & Nora or downright hilarious moments with Nora & Vee or even the strange things happening around Nora. I absolutely, positively devoured every page! Well as you can see, I’m Hush, Hush’s #1 fan!

I love everything about this book. I will definitely follow the doctor’s order and reread this book until I can get Patch out of my system, which may be never. So Help Me God!

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars



Check out the book trailer!

23 comments:

  1. :) Great review! You aren't alone - many have been afflicted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha lol
    I suspect that I have to visit Dr Chen too, after reading Hush, Hush. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... I guess you liked it?

    Hahah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, one of the first good ones I've read. My copy is running late (Columbus DAy) I am hoping it will be here today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Great review! I love the unorthodox format!
    I'm with you on the whole Patch-is-awesome-and-smokin'-hot thing. I just won a copy, and I can't wait for it to get here so I can read it again!!! XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very unique review. I'm impressed hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha this is one of the most creative reviews i've ever read. i love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun review! I've really got to get my hands on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! Too funny. I admit Patch didn't quite do it for me, but I'm happy you enjoyed the book so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE it, Tina!! Thanks for making me laugh :)

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol..very creative. great review. I've just started reading it,so far I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love love love this review. sooo funny!:)

    I cant wait to read Hush Hush!
    CANT WAIT

    Dani.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great way to format the review - excellent fun :) Got Hush, Hush yesterday, really excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! Loved the review. I adored this book and Patch - sweet mother that is good - swoooooon!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved, loved, loved your review. So creative. Am equally obsessed with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review! I ordered my copie on line and should be receiving it soon. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL! That is just awesome, but so completely understandable. I swear I dreamt of Patch last night! Why is it all the great guys have to be fictional? Sucks!
    This book was amazing! So much more than what I expected! I absolutely love it! Great review, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was hilarious! The only trouble with your brilliant and somewhat uncoventional review is that it makes me want to pull my hair out. I want to read this book sooooo much and I still have to wait for the UK release date. Argh! When will Amazon deliver my book? I think I have a couple of weeks to wait yet! Great review. I'm still chuckling!

    ReplyDelete
  19. RE: Sarah - Thanks! It's an epidemic! LOL!

    RE: YA Vampire Books - I'm just glad I'm not alone! LOL!

    RE: JO - I totally agree! Why must they all be fictional? LOL!

    To everyone else: Thanks so much! This is my absolute favorite review, it was so fun to do but with a muse like Patch, it totally helped. LOL! Swooning...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Superb review! I soooo want to read this book now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This has to be one of my favorite reviews of all time. LOL! I love it! Edward Who? Yes, Patch is something to behold. I just finished reading Hush, Hush and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This has got to be my favorite review ever! OMG! I literally thought you were serious at the beginning! ha. Wow, so awesome! Thanks for making me laugh! And great review! I loved the book as well!!

    -Arielle

    ReplyDelete
  23. SO jealous.
    I've been meaning to read this book for ages. AGES.
    Alright, since the end of august, but still.
    I read the first few chapters online and was hooked. The second my bookstore gets a copy in, I'm snatching it up.
    SNATCHING.
    I will chuck my money at them, and tell them to keep the change - not even bothering to have them ring up the book.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you, I promise I won't bite!